Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One for the stattos? With the massive increase in home support....

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
has this had a relative increase on support following us a away from home, e.g has there been a significant increase in average away attendance since we moved to the Amex? Has anyone got the figures? Also how do we compare to in average away followers compared to the teams in the rest of the Championship?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
In a simple answer, no. Our away following this season is worse than last season but we're still in the top 8 for the average away following this season.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
This one might take a while to work out, but I wonder what the average distance for away matches for each team in the league is? I'd imagine us and Middlesbrough are up there with the highest average distances.

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
may take a while to filter down? I'm (relatively) new and haven't been to any away matches yet. but I will. Give us time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This one might take a while to work out, but I wonder what the average distance for away matches for each team in the league is? I'd imagine us and Middlesbrough are up there with the highest average distances.
I'm going to get this very wrong, but the principle is right.

One season recently I think not being relegated into div 2, saved us over 2000 away miles.
The following season was almost div 3 north and south, and we just hung on into the southern section.

Dec 29, 2011

The fact we're so far away from other teams is a blessing and a curse. It's hard to get good numbers to games outside London/Southampton, and a lot of the teams in this division are above London. The fact we're so isolated means we have a larger potential fan base though, so it can work both ways.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
attachment.php

Attachments

• Championship 2012-13.png
    Championship 2012-13.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 646

This season we currently average 1416 (15 league games) - Palace is 1275 (15 league games)

This season we will average 390 miles per away game - Palace - 290 miles.

Last season we averaged 1650 away - Palace 1350

Last season we averaged 340 miles per away game - Palace 250 miles

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
The away attendance is still made up of our more dedicated support and is not really attractive to the JCLs. As the new supporters bed in they will start to follow the team as more of a lifestyle than a diversion.

I've been to a couple of always this season ( I have a bunch of little kids so its more difficult than it used to be) and its still mainly faces from a few years back and a lot of younger lads)

The thing I've noticed with the large uplift in fans is that we seem to have lost some of the old songs that used to crop up at withdean and have been with us since the Golstone. Perhaps that's because the supporters who used to sit near each other are now spread all over the new ground?

We seem. To be left with alllbiiooonn albioooon, seagulls, seagulls and Were the west stand etc. plus one or two others.

When I've been sitting in the ESL I don't think I've heard any songs at all.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
This season we currently average 1416 (15 league games) - Palace is 1275 (15 league games)

This season we will average 390 miles per away game - Palace - 290 miles.

Last season we averaged 1650 away - Palace 1350

Last season we averaged 340 miles per away game - Palace 250 miles

Where did i say i was solely centred on comparing to Palace (unhealthy obsession in my mind). More interested how we compare against the bigger teams e.g Leeds, Sheff Wed etc who we have simlar home attendance to.

Where did i say i was solely centred on comparing to Palace (unhealthy obsession in my mind). More interested how we compare against the bigger teams e.g Leeds, Sheff Wed etc who we have simlar home attendance to.

Feck me ! I put Palace in as a comparison - if you want to know how we compare against others - look it f*cking up - you lazy :censored:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Usually I do a minimum of 6 away games. In the last 10 years there have been two seasons where I have done 13.

This season I have done ..... Charlton.

I did have a ticket for Blackburn but that went pear shaped.

Since the birth of the Amex I don't feel the need to go to so many aways. My mates feel the same. Plus it doesn't help that aways I fancy are all midweek. Cardiff and Bristol City spring to mind.

I may go to Bolton.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Straight away, I would have said our away following would drop. We used to have a better following whilst at Withers because it was shit, as was the atmosphere and so many preferred to go away - me included. I have been shocking this season for away games, on the basis that I use all of my free passes off the Mrs for games at the Amex. Hopefully next year I will improve. We will never average the same as Leeds. Unlike Sheffield Wednesday . Leeds are a BIG club.

A lot of clubs have large number of fans living in London (population some 7 million), so a visit to the Amex is pretty easy. For instance Sheffield W brought some 1600 to our place this season & we took 1100 odd to theirs yesterday. However, I suspect as many if not more Albion fans made the trip from Sussex to Sheffield, as Yorkshire folk coming to Sussex.

If you look at Middlesborough away support, it is rare that they get a 1000 away fans at their place as they are so far away. However, there away support is pretty good, as so many from their fans pool live down south

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
:bigwave:

Don't get me wrong, I like them as much as anyone else. NOT ONE BIT. If you do not consider them a BIG club then you are either lying to yourself , bitter for some reason, or just do not have a clue what you are on about.

Not disputing that Leeds are a big club.

But to say Wednesday are not a big club is wrong.

I don't know whether this saying Wednesday aren't big is down to sour grapes, or people perhaps being a little bit ignorant.

Please don't take any offence to any of this. It is nothing personal.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006

Averages based on away followings given so far this season:

Leeds - 3119 (14 games)
Sheffield Wednesday -2626 (13 games)
Nottingham Forest - 2123 (14 games)
Leicester - 1820 (13 games)
Blackburn - 1448 (13 games)
Bolton - 1447 (12 games)
Brighton - 1412 (15 games)
Wolves - 1389 (12 games)
Derby - 1378 (12 games)
Huddersfield - 1358 (14 games)
Crystal Palace - 1333 (14 games)
Middlesbrough - 1318 (15 games)
Charlton - 1264 (13 games)
Cardiff - 1233 (11 games)
Hull - 1144 (13 games)
Birmingham - 1206 (12 games)
Blackpool - 976 (13 games)
Watford - 872 (15 games)
Burnley - 870 (13 games)
Millwall - 856 (15 games)
Ipswich - 806 (13 games)
Peterborough - 757 (14 games)
Bristol City - 585 (14 games)
Barnsley - 576 (14 games)

You'd expect Wolves' and Birmingham's away followings to increase when more away followings are given.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not disputing that Leeds are a big club.

But to say Wednesday are not a big club is wrong.

I don't know whether this saying Wednesday aren't big is down to sour grapes, or people perhaps being a little bit ignorant.

Please don't take any offence to any of this. It is nothing personal.

No offence taken. Maybe you are right, personally I think they were once, I just think that was a very very long time ago. lets face it, as much as we jest they are not a small club are they. Apparently Wednesday were the first club to have a cantilever stand ( according to my father in law ). They must be a BIG club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here