Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

on topic - NFL Play Offs

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What an all time f*** up by Romo on that last minute, can't miss, game winning field goal for the Cowboys. It was like watching Ace Ventura Pet Detective!

Go Patriots!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Cheeky Monkey said:
What an all time f*** up by Romo on that last minute, can't miss, game winning field goal for the Cowboys. It was like watching Ace Ventura Pet Detective!

Go Patriots!

I have no idea what any of that means. :)

I'm assuming we're talking about that little game that 99% of the countries in the world couldn't care less about, but which the Americans think is the biggest sport on the planet???

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Frutos said:
So this person 'did a Henderson' then.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

:jester:

worse!

last seconds, they needed a field goal to win.. (i.e. to kick it over the posts from open play)

someone throws it back, guy catches and holds it steady while the kicker bangs it over. NO way in the world it can go wrong..

he fumbled the simplest of catches to set it down for the kicker, tried to recover and run for a touchdown, failed, and they lost by 1 point, and therefore out of the playoffs/superbowl.

probably the equivalent of jake missing an open goal in the 94th minute of the last game of the season, needing to score to keep us up :)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Cheeky Monkey said:

Go Patriots!
As a Seahawks fan I thought it was brilliant! I still think Seattle would have had time to get within field goal range though if we'd needed the posession. My heart was in my mouth for a bit though when Romo threw that Hail Mary on the very last play.

Becuase of the Eagles win I think we've got Chicago away next. Gonna get thrashed there methinks.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Re: Re: on topic - NFL Play Offs

Brovian said:
Becuase of the Eagles win I think we've got Chicago away next. Gonna get thrashed there methinks.

We have. And we will – having lost 37-6 there in regular season, by far our biggest defeat of the season. :(

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
Re: Re: on topic - NFL Play Offs

Frutos said:
I have no idea what any of that means. :)

I'm assuming we're talking about that little game that 99% of the countries in the world couldn't care less about, but which the Americans think is the biggest sport on the planet???
[/QUOTE

if you don't know what your talking about then how can you slag it off!!! Muppet.

May i actually suggest to you to watch a game. It is one of the most exciting games around. Always expect the unexpected. the play off games this weekend absolutly sum up the whole season. I have never seen a season with so much drama in the last few seconds. Can't be bothered to waste my time posting all of them but people like me who watch it week in and week out know what happened this year.

I now prefer by miles watching NFL to any old shit over here at the moment. Sat summed up exactly why football over here is so boring.

Oh and if you ever get a chance, go to a game. I went to watch Denver this year against seattle. The whole game and pre game is something else!!! well worth the experience.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Re: Re: Re: on topic - NFL Play Offs

Silver flying chariot said:
if you don't know what your talking about then how can you slag it off!!! Muppet.

May i actually suggest to you to watch a game. It is one of the most exciting games around. Always expect the unexpected. the play off games this weekend absolutly sum up the whole season. I have never seen a season with so much drama in the last few seconds. Can't be bothered to waste my time posting all of them but people like me who watch it week in and week out know what happened this year.

I now prefer by miles watching NFL to any old shit over here at the moment. Sat summed up exactly why football over here is so boring.

Oh and if you ever get a chance, go to a game. I went to watch Denver this year against seattle. The whole game and pre game is something else!!! well worth the experience.

1) I have watched it. and I found it dull as ditchwater. There's no flow to it because they stop every few seconds (every time the ball comes into contact with the floor as I understand it).

2) If it was that impressive of a game, it would have a massive worldwide audience on the scale that football does (admittedly, a lot of Americans think that their country is in fact the only one on Earth) instead of being huge in two countries and very much a minority interest in pretty much every other one.

3) Maybe you can explain why Americans are so adamant that their game is more worthy of being called 'football' than the one that the rest of the world plays? After all, there's far more contact between 'foot' and 'ball' in one of our games than in one of theirs, and theirs last on average twice as long.

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Did any one see the cincinnati game? Same sort of thing happened when they needed an extra point to take it into OT. I feel sorry for Romo who had a brillaint season and was the man that got them there.

He was even more unlucky as he only had to run to the 1 to get a first down and got to the 2 before a Seattle player made one of the best tackles ive ever seen. Gramitica almost blocked him aswell.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Raphael Meade said:
worse!

last seconds, they needed a field goal to win.. (i.e. to kick it over the posts from open play)

someone throws it back, guy catches and holds it steady while the kicker bangs it over. NO way in the world it can go wrong..

he fumbled the simplest of catches to set it down for the kicker, tried to recover and run for a touchdown, failed, and they lost by 1 point, and therefore out of the playoffs/superbowl.

probably the equivalent of jake missing an open goal in the 94th minute of the last game of the season, needing to score to keep us up :)

I'm a Cowboys fan, so took it particularly badly, BUT, it wasn't a total surprise, as we've found incredible ways to lose at various times this season. Did you see the blocked field goal in the last second vs the Giants? We managed to also let them return it, AND gave them a penalty (no game can end on a penalty) which gave them the time AND yardage to hit a game winner themselves. :down:

Having said that this was just the most unbelievable way to blow the play-offs. Having your QB holding for the FG's is pretty rare, but at least it means you can be pretty confident of their handling, .... :p

I did think he was then going to either get in on the scramble, or perhaps get the 1st down on the 1 yard line, that we had been given moments earlier, before the booth reviewed it and CORRECTLY called it down on the 1.5 yard line for 4th and inches. But it was a tremndous tackle that brough Romo down. Even if the tackle had been half made, and finished by the defense who were scrambling across the goal-line, then I think he'd have made the 1st down. Gutted, unbelievably gutted.

In the case of Romo though, it could help him, as the whole media went completely over the top on him in his first few games after replacing Bledsoe. Yes, Romo was a massive improvement on Drew, but that's because Drew was looking completely washed up. Romo just came in with enough mobility to buy the time to find his excellent receivers, and suddenly everyone was going mad about the fella. Well, Bill Parcells has his wish, in that the "anointing oils" will be well and truly put away now. It wasn't just that fumble, but his general passing was off, and just lacked the zip he showed in his first 5 games.

He'll come good, as will the Cowboys, we have a very strong looking side, and shouldn't lose much in the Free Agency this year, while we do have a bit of room in the salary cap, to perhaps pick up a top Offensive Lineman to just make that crucial bit of difference. Get Greg Ellis back on the D-line, and in tandem with Demarcus Ware, we'll be punishing opposing QB's week-in, week-out.

Go Cowboys!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Re: Re: Re: Re: on topic - NFL Play Offs

Frutos said:
3) Maybe you can explain why Americans are so adamant that their game is more worthy of being called 'football' than the one that the rest of the world plays?
Why pull up the Americans for this? What code does the rest of the English speaking world mean by the word "football"?

England - soccer (#1 code = soccer)
Scotland - soccer (#1 code = soccer)
Ireland - Gaelic football (#2 code = soccer)
Australia - mostly AFL (but sometimes rugby league) (#3 or 4 code = soccer)
Wales - soccer (#2 code = soccer)
NZ - soccer (#3 code = soccer)
S Africa - soccer (#1 code = soccer)
USA - gridiron (#2 code = soccer)
Canada - gridiron (#2 code = soccer)

Even the Italian's call it "calcio" rather than a bastardisation of the English word. I often wonder what they call it in some of the bigger Asian nations...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Re: Re: Re: Re: on topic - NFL Play Offs

Frutos said:
1) I have watched it. and I found it dull as ditchwater. There's no flow to it because they stop every few seconds (every time the ball comes into contact with the floor as I understand it).

If you don't enjoy / follow / understand the game game then I guess that is a frustration, but you could just buy Sky Plus!

Personally, the "stop / start" nature adds to the excitement. A crucial game-turning play coming up and you get that bit of time to build you excitement and anticipation. Ocassionally you get that with our football, such as when Beckham was lining up that free-kick vs Greece, where the anticipation builds with the delay, but in the NFL you ALWAYS have that building of excitement before the crucial play.

Plus - if you know the game well enough - whereas we will all furiously debate the rights and wrongs of team selection and formation in our football, that is a rolling theme throughout the game in the NFL. Every play, you see them line-up and you are looking for the match-up that the offense could exploit, or the blitz that the the defense are showing which may not be getting picked up, or are they going to shift the line and play a screen play ....... there is a lot going on from one play to another, a lot to look for, a lot to get excited about.

All sports are easily cricticed if you don't like them. "It's just 22 men kicking a ball around" doesn't exactly connect with the intricate beauty of Association Football, and you hear plenty of similarly casual criticisms of NFL. If you don't like it so be it, but I think you are missing out on a truly fantastic sport.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: on topic - NFL Play Offs

Simster said:
Why pull up the Americans for this? What code does the rest of the English speaking world mean by the word "football"?

England - soccer (#1 code = soccer)
Scotland - soccer (#1 code = soccer)
Ireland - Gaelic football (#2 code = soccer)
Australia - mostly AFL (but sometimes rugby league) (#3 or 4 code = soccer)
Wales - soccer (#2 code = soccer)
NZ - soccer (#3 code = soccer)
S Africa - soccer (#1 code = soccer)
USA - gridiron (#2 code = soccer)
Canada - gridiron (#2 code = soccer)

Even the Italian's call it "calcio" rather than a bastardisation of the English word. I often wonder what they call it in some of the bigger Asian nations...

I'm not really sure I see your point.

Whether countries are English-speaking or not, you can look right across the world and see that the word 'football' or equivalent (fussball, futbol etc...) is used to mean our game over and above the American version.

You don't generally hear Spanish or Portuguese speaking countries (of which there are probably nearly as many as English-sepaking ones), for example, referring to 'soccer' (at least not to my recollection, although I will gladly stand corrected if needs be).

That said though, even soccer is just a contraction of 'association football', so I guess everyone does call it 'football' in some form or another, maybe without even realising they're doing so :)

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: on topic - NFL Play Offs

... I now prefer by miles watching NFL to any old shit over here at the moment. Sat summed up exactly why football over here is so boring. ...
Spot on. For the Dallas@Seattle game not only did I sit up all night and watch it but I watched the repeat on Sunday as well! It's SUCH a complex, many-layered sport and I can watch the same game twice or even three times and still pick up things I've missed. Yes, Frutos at first sight it is just a lot of blokes wrestling with each other for a few seconds but then 'soccer' is just people arguing with the ref, kicking the ball into touch and feigining injury.

If I was forced into a position where I could only ever watch one sport for the rest of my life it would be 'American' football.

Baseball on the other hand is a complete abomination ...

modell

Sep 13, 2005
Brighton
Felt sorry for Romo. I'm a Bills fan and i know all about playoff heartbreak (ours was much worse).

My head says the Ravens have the best chance this year but I'd love to see the Saints win the lot. Chargers v Pats should be the game of the weekend.:unclesam:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
modell said:
Felt sorry for Romo. I'm a Bills fan and i know all about playoff heartbreak (ours was much worse).

My head says the Ravens have the best chance this year but I'd love to see the Saints win the lot. Chargers v Pats should be the game of the weekend.:unclesam:
With a name like 'Modell' no wonder you support the Ravens! You're still hated in Cleveland!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I enjoy watching the Amercian Football on Sundays. The Sky presenters Nick and Kevin are excellent.

Personally, I don't have a problem with regular interruptions in the sport, in fact it gives you a chance to get beers and crisps from the kitchen.

And there's no such thing as dull when Peyton Manning and the Colts are playing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here