Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On this day 939 years ago

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Harold and his army were at the top of Senlac Hill in Battle being attacked by those horrible Frenches.

This army were knackered after marching all the way back from Stamford Bridge (couldn't afford the train fare home after paying the extortionate ticket prices).

But one mistake led to the Frenches winning and Harold, forgetting to duck, died.

Wonder what the world would have been like today if we had won the Battle of Hastings.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I just cannot believe that the 939th anniversary of this event isn't being marked in some way. Or would that be deemed "politically incorrect ?"

A Rowland
Brighton

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blackest day in England's history. Since 1066 we've been ruled by the French, Welsh (Tudors), Scots (Stuarts), Dutch (William of Orange) and the Germans (George I onwards).

Off your knees England and become a nation again!

(Brovian, ex-European idealist now born-again English Republican).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Highfields Seagull said:
He might have been alright if, when winning, his army hadn't all charged down the hill after the Normans.

Yep, that was the one mistake

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Easy 10 said:
I just cannot believe that the 939th anniversary of this event isn't being marked in some way. Or would that be deemed "politically incorrect ?"

A Rowland
Brighton

:lolol:

The battle was againgst the normans and not the french.

Only a part of the army actually chased after the fleeing normans.

Harold had actually rested a while in the south east after Stamford Bridge, his big mistake was laying off a large number of his foot soldiers. Because he was not prepare to pay them, whilst he waited for the invasion. Againgst time, he was not able to re-recruit them.

The Normans went on to impose the French language into England then the rest of Britain, many words are now part of the present English language. In 1066 our language was "old English" its nearest counterpart being Germanic. Mmmmm what would the C20th had been like if we were a german speaking nation?

LC

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why do I think of Alan Hansen's view?:

"Last week Gary the English got a useful win at Stamford Bridge while the Normans were all at sea, but the defending today by Harold was just shocking. Just look at the amount of men he committed down the field and he's gone and got caught on the break.

Then, of all things, he's gone and got caught out in the air with one that's been whipped in like an arrow. That's appalling defending..."

gazwag said:
Harold and his army were at the top of Senlac Hill in Battle being attacked by those horrible Frenches.

This army were knackered after marching all the way back from Stamford Bridge (couldn't afford the train fare home after paying the extortionate ticket prices).

But one mistake led to the Frenches winning and Harold, forgetting to duck, died.

Wonder what the world would have been like today if we had won the Battle of Hastings.
I still feel emotionally raped thinking what my ancestors must have gone through,have we ever had any apology or compensation?have we fuckers like...And don't start on about those blasted Romans.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Brovian said:
Blackest day in England's history. Since 1066 we've been ruled by the French, Welsh (Tudors), Scots (Stuarts), Dutch (William of Orange) and the Germans (George I onwards).

Off your knees England and become a nation again!

(Brovian, ex-European idealist now born-again English Republican).

As opposed to pre-1066 when we were ruled at various times by Romans, Saxons (from what we now call Germany), Vikings and Celts?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
About the only people who haven't controlled this country at some stage are the Belgians. But their time will come...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
As opposed to pre-1066 when we were ruled at various times by Romans, Saxons (from what we now call Germany), Vikings and Celts?
Absolutely! That was when we were building up our nation, then the bleedin' French came over and invented the feudal system (which evolved into the class system) separating forever the rulers and the ruled.

As a secondary point I once read an article on 'what would have happened had Harold won'. Just conjecture of course but the author reckoned we'd have got on better with the Scots, Welsh and Irish ans we wouldn't have had the Norman desire to try to conquer them as well. Plus we wouldn't have spent billions of pounds (in today's money) and lost thousands of Englishmen in events like the 100 Years War which was basically just about the Norman descendents in England trying to hang on to all their French holiday homes. The author also reckoned that there would have been no British Empire and today we'd be a nation of aimiable drunkards.

Anyway, here's to Harold Godwinson, the last true Earl of Wessex and the last true King of England.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pavilionaire said:
About the only people who haven't controlled this country at some stage are the Belgians. But their time will come...

English is nearest the old Frisian language. And thats in Belgium now.

Norman the Bastard was a Viking really.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
perseus said:
English is nearest the old Frisian language. And thats in Belgium now.

Norman the Bastard was a Viking really.
William the Bastard. I liked the way William made Harold swear (after he'd been shipwrecked in Normandy) that he would accept William as his Lord, then when he was offered the Crown Harold went back on it saying something like "Yeah, I meant I'd accept you as my lord in France, not in good old Blighty ya garlic smelling frog-leg munching, cheese-eating poof!" (Quote may not be 100% historically accurate).

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Brovian said:
William the Bastard. I liked the way William made Harold swear (after he'd been shipwrecked in Normandy) that he would accept William as his Lord, then when he was offered the Crown Harold went back on it saying something like "Yeah, I meant I'd accept you as my lord in France, not in good old Blighty ya garlic smelling frog-leg munching, cheese-eating poof!" (Quote may not be 100% historically accurate).

Slight technical slip there. Norman the Batard is a Liberal Democrat. It is the Billy the Bastard I was referring to.

bastard | bstd, bast- | n. & a. Also S. Afr. (senses A.4, B.6) bastaard, baster | bst | . ME. [OFr. bastart (mod. batard) = Prov. bastard, It., Sp., Port. bastardo, f. med.L bastardus, prob. f. bastum pack-saddle: see BAT n.2, -ARD.] A n. 1 A person conceived and born out of wedlock; an illegitimate child. ME. 2 A sweet Spanish wine, resembling muscatel; any sweetened wine. obs. exc. Hist. LME. 3 Something of unusual make, shape, or proportion, or of inferior quality; esp. (a)a kind of culverin; (b)a size of paper. L15. 4 A person of mixed Nama and European ancestry; a Griqua, a Rehobother. S. Afr. L18. 5 An unpleasant or unfortunate person or thing; (in weakened sense) a chap, a fellow.

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from The Oxford Interactive Encyclopedia
Developed by The Learning Company, Inc. Copyright (c) 1997 TLC Properties Inc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here