Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On this corresponding Friday 4 years ago.....

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Beckham lays to rest the Simeone ghost and ensures the Argies are seen off 1-0 to effectively knock them out of the 2002 world cup.

becks.jpg

celebration.jpg

score.jpg

The teams were drawn to meet once more in the 2002 World Cup, held in Japan. Having been knocked out by Argentina in two of the previous three World Cups they had competed in, tension in England was high. This tension was raised by the England team only gaining a draw in their opening match, meaning that they needed a good result against Argentina to avoid being eliminated from the competition.

The meeting between England and Argentina was one of the few times there had been so much attention given to a first round match. Commentators described the match, which began at twelve noon UK time, as the "longest lunch break in history" as millions in England and throughout the world stopped their jobs and activities to watch the game on TV.

David Beckham, now England captain, scored the only goal of the match, a penalty kick which many felt redeemed him in the eyes of the English sporting public for his dismissal four years earlier. As The Times newspaper described it in their match report, "vilified for the red card that helped to usher England out of the 1998 World Cup at the hands of Argentina, he wakes this morning with his halo brighter than ever". Despite a late onslaught from the Argentinian players at the end of the second half of the game, England maintained the scoreline and won 1-0, and partly as a result of this Argentina (one of the pre-tournament favourites to win) were knocked out in the first round.

Although the Argentinian players and public criticised the awarding of the penalty kick — given for a controversial foul on Michael Owen, who they felt had dived — the game was generally played in a good, if highly competitive, spirit, and there was none of the bitterness that had affected the 1966 and 1986 meetings.

-------------------

However, on this date (2nd June 02) England drew 1-1 in the opening game against Sweden, Sol Campbell scoring. We then drew with Nigeria, beat Denmark and famously lost to Brazil on 21st June 2002, David Seaman getting the blame for the Ronhaldino goal.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Watched it in a pub in Edinburgh, full of Jocks who thought they were being oh-so-funny to cheer for Argenetina. Ha!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Watched it in a pub in Edinburgh, full of Jocks who thought they were being oh-so-funny to cheer for Argenetina. Ha!

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Saw it in the King and Queen - got absolutely covered in booze sweat and fag ash when we scored.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I watched it on a giant screen at a Ladbrokes World Cup Party in the ballroom at the Hilton on Park Lane London. Amazing atmosphere, great day. Shook hands with Ally McCoist who was pissed and got my wife his autograph and personal message (before he got fat). Also met Barry Fry (a good laugh) and Gary Mabutt. :drink:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
why is beckham celebrating before he has taken the penalty? :dunce:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Watched it in The Pubb in Eastbourne.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Was in the opposite end in the Sapporo ground. Fantastic night afterwards, drank til it was getting light and time to get back to the Hostel, pack and head to the airport for our flight to Kyoto!

As Uncle Buck said, shame the hostel had no beds, but we survived for our 3 night stay (or was it 2?)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Mr Blobby said:
Was in the opposite end in the Sapporo ground. Fantastic night afterwards, drank til it was getting light and time to get back to the Hostel, pack and head to the airport for our flight to Kyoto!

As Uncle Buck said, shame the hostel had no beds, but we survived for our 3 night stay (or was it 2?)

I think it was only 2 nights, everything was a bit blurry due to that bar in Amouri (sp).

Ah Kyoto.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Watched it at home and afterwards I honoured a bet that if he scored I would run down the road wrapped only in the national flag... not that I doubted him.. i just wanted an excuse for such a cracking celebration!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
garry nelsons left foot said:

That is the place.

Not much there, but we did find this superb little bar, that was like a front room with a few table chucked in. The old woman that ran it seemed to have about 4 regular customers, then 30 England fans rolled in. The first night we had drunk her dry at 10pm, so her son had to go to the local Lawson's to restock. She got extra barrels in for the next 2 nights. I suspect she made more in those 3 nights than she does in 6 months. We even bought her some flowers and felt an England flag for her.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here