Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On the way home from Derby - not good enough

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
From listening to the Derby commentary I'd say we have nothing to be upset about... sounded like a lot of possession, another clean sheet away from home and another point against a well attended away team.

Maybe there's something I missed from the game but it sounded pretty impressive..

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We were poor today. The 1st half was one of the worst I have ever seen. However, we improved in the 2nd half but neither side really looked like scoring. A draw was a fair result and a good point to pick up.

This , we looked a bit lacklustre given the fact Gus says we need to come out of the blocks from the very beginning and score the early goal. Nice touches here and there and overall a reasonable performance compared to what Derby had on offer. Derby fans on the way back to the train station thought we were by far the better side and looked like promotion contenders , I thought that if we had been playing at out best it would have been a 3 or 4 nil victory.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Tony Cottee was covering Brighton for Sky and he was fairly glowing in his appraisal, actually only mentioned Derby having a shot when there were 5 mins to go. Highlighted Dobbie in a positive light, but also pointed out that Hammond should have scored with a header and whoever followed up the rebound (he said Lopez) was also culpable for not scoring.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I thought it was a good, battling point against a Derby side who, though not full of quality, were very strong and I thought threatening when they broke. AEA may be getting a bit of stick for his lack of distribution, but I thought he handled Connor Salmon, who was a real handful, very well. Their Number 8 was quite classy too. As for saying we were the only side likely to score, if it hadn't been for TK's two fine saves and some very confident punching towards the end, we would have been debating a defeat, not a draw. With CMS in the side, though, and Barnes up front alongside him rather than deep, we would probably have won. As for Dobbie, okay he isn't firing on all cylinders, but we had an idiot next to us constantly slagging him off any time he touched the ball. If you're not going to support the team, why bother travelling to the game?

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Just back from Pride Park.....thought Derby set up to defend...whilst we'd didn't have the cutting edge in the final third thought we played the ball around effectively...says a lot when the home team happy to take a point from the outset
A year ago think we would have lost this game

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lots of moaning, it wasn't that long ago we used to lose at home to Cheltenham and Walsall

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lots of moaning, it wasn't that long ago we used to lose at home to Cheltenham and Walsall

100% correct. I made a similar comment on the Nigel Clough thead. Look at some of the teams below us in the table, like Boro, Bolton, Blackburn etc. Any team can beat any team in the Championship and we haven't a divine right to win.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
how did david Lopez do

Poor, first time I've seen him and I wasn't convinced, technically looks pretty sound but he had absolutely no pace out on that wing, I was vaguely under the impression he was more of an attacking central midfielder than an out and out winger?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
David Lopez had an ok game, good touches and passing, and as with any qulaity player always seemed to have time on the ball, maybe could have done more with the free kick in the first half, and shot from the edge of the box in second. It will be interesting to see, if when we get a midfield that includes lopez, olandi and vicente at the same time, how teams who sit back cope with these 3 together.

I expect Lopez will improve as he gets more match time, and will become a match winner for us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The ONLY thing wrong with our team imo is that we are so lightweight upfront. With a decent big nasty old fashioned forward we would have come hom with 3 points. I am starting to think that Gus really does want us to play like Spain and refuses to use an out and out target man. So frustrating because with a player like this I think we'd still be top of the table as the rest of the team look solid and able to raise their game when needs be.

CMS coming back will be great but this lightweight forward line is gonna struggle to keep us in the playoffs imo.

I know who were playing only 18 months ago and we have come on in leaps and bounds but just ONE more player and I reckon we could be genuine top 2 contenders.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
we need to stop makeing excuses about us missing cms we should still be scoring goals but we are not so that just shows how rubbish we are without cms and gus needs to go out a quality centre forward to give us another option because dobbie is rubbish

Dobbie is not an out and out striker, he plays behind the front man and from what I've seen looks quality when linking play. When CMS is back and playing in the same team as Dobbie I'm sure people's idea of him will change. A shame that Buckley went off today as neither Barnes or Dobbie have the pace to worry defenders.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The ONLY thing wrong with our team imo is that we are so lightweight upfront. With a decent big nasty old fashioned forward we would have come hom with 3 points. I am starting to think that Gus really does want us to play like Spain and refuses to use an out and out target man. So frustrating because with a player like this I think we'd still be top of the table as the rest of the team look solid and able to raise their game when needs be.

CMS coming back will be great but this lightweight forward line is gonna struggle to keep us in the playoffs imo.

I know who were playing only 18 months ago and we have come on in leaps and bounds but just ONE more player and I reckon we could be genuine top 2 contenders.

Why are you starting to think that, when Gus has said himself he wants one? Hopefully his scouting team will find a suitable player, who doesn't want a fortune, in the January window.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why are you starting to think that, when Gus has said himself he wants one? Hopefully his scouting team will find a suitable player, who doesn't want a fortune, in the January window.

I hesitate to flog a dead horse but he let one walk up the road and hasn't come close to replacing him :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I hesitate to flog a dead horse but he let one walk up the road and hasn't come close to replacing him :shrug:

And again what do you do when you offer a contract which is turned down to accept another up the road? It wasn't as if he said, I've been offered more up the road so can you up your offer, it was turned down flat. I fail to see how Gus is to blame when the chairman negotiates the contracts.
On a side note, I noticed that Aranalde is back with us scouting. Hopefully we can find a good Spanish striker.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It wasn't as if he said, I've been offered more up the road so can you up your offer,

I was under the impression that was exactly what he did, but this has been done to death so I'll leave it there :smile:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Derby fans being far more complimentary about BHAFC than our own fans.

"They are the best team we've played this year. It shows how good their squad is when Dobbie is on the bench. I wouldn't sleep for a week if he signed for us."

"Brighton were decent but lacked pace, i know they had Mackail Smith out, Buckley went off but although Orlandi, Lopez etc are all good footballers, they're too slow. Dunno why they didnt bring Lua Lua on, he terrorised us at there place last year, good player imo. If they can get Buckley and Vicente out regularly they'll be near the top."

"Brighton are better than us. Better to watch and they'll finish higher. And there's reason to believe they could be in the Premiership one day soon.

They didn't get like this over night though. They have developed a way of playing and stick to it. They won't change under Poyet."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here