Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On the theme of Racism.....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
did anyone see the French Foreign Minister on Newsnight last night?

There was this muslim woman doing her nut about the banning of all head scarves and crucifixes ( basically anything religious) in French schools saying it was racist against the Muslim World.

the French guy said this...."...anyone who moves to France is basically a guest in the country and is subject to the laws of the country. If they decide to stay in the country then they are welcome, but again only if they live by the rules.....if the Muslim, or Christian or whatever religious group do not like it then tough....leave the country ..."

What a top man.

Can you imagine David Blunkett saying this. He would be pilloried!

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
You can see why english do get peed off as when i saw an indian or whatever with a turbon on instead of a crash helmet it makes you wonder and this religion crap neverends.

If you go to certain arab countrys you have to stay clothed as its there law,so would they let you un-clothe no chance whats so ever.:drink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The turban was more on the grounds of safety wasn't it as opposed to religious.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
thats why this country is almost too liberal with its laws at times !!

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
dave the gaffer said:
The turban was more on the grounds of safety wasn't it as opposed to religious.
How can you say a turbon is safer than a crash helmet on a motor bike mmmmm.:smokin:

Am i right in saying turbons are only allowed off when its bed time as thats the religion.:D

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'm pretty sure they can take them off when ever but they're not aloud to cut their hair. The turban is both a religious symbol of their faith and also a convenient way of keeping their hair out their eyes!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No you miss my point mate.

It wasn't that the government said you must remove them on religious grounds, it said that helmets must be worn on safety grounds, irrespective of what religion you were. It so happened that the wearers of turbans said they couldn't take them off on religious grounds!!!

The French have made a decision based purely on religious grounds

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Yeah but i have seen one recently with a turbon on:lolol:
This country does abide religions regardless and thats why we are the best of countrys to come to.:rolleyes:

There are so many diffrent sorts of religions anyway and a few indians i know say only night time they come off.???

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I am not always a big fan of the way the French go about things but on this they have my total support. They are trying to get all overt religious symbols out of schools (not just the headscarves) and yet it seems to be mainly the Muslims that are bleating about it. I don't see how it can be called racist if it applies to ALL religions and pupils of ALL colours/races.

The turban exception for the crash helmet law has always struck me as ridiculous. Can't anyone make crash helmets that would fit over a turban anyway?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
does it go as far as banning religious books and study ??. I do hope it does, else it starts to stink,

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
I agree partly with the French approach.

I believe that schools should be secular institutions teaching the ideas of no religion in particular, but learning about all religions and cultures as part of some sort of social education (that includes learning about not having a religion). Enough of this having to say prayers in assembly rubbish etc.

However, If children want to wear headscarves, crucifixes, turbans, skullcaps etc, I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to as ways of expressing their own religion. As long as they are not trying to force their religion on others then I don't see a problem here.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
the law that the french are trying to enforce is terrible. why shouldn't people have the right to show which religion they are? It proves to me anyway how racist france really is.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
shutup and get on with your homework.

:lolol: :lol: :lol:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Highfields Seagull said:
I agree partly with the French approach.

However, If children want to wear headscarves, crucifixes, turbans, skullcaps etc, I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to as ways of expressing their own religion. As long as they are not trying to force their religion on others then I don't see a problem here.

no no no, religious expressions such a these are not a symbols of their religion to each other, they are a sign/symbol to god, thats why i feel that France again has got it VERY WRONG indeed.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I think the French idea will backfire. The result will be that a lot of Muslim girls will be taken out of state schools and put in private religious schools. This will totally negate the ban and isolate muslims rather than integrate them.

Better to keep the symbols intact but continue with a non-religious curriculum and school culture in my opinion.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
how about get on with your work and start learning about french culture before you tell me to get on with my work - and btw i dont have to do any

Dandyman

In London village.
redland said:
no no no, religious expressions such a these are not a symbols of their religion to each other, they are a sign/symbol to god, thats why i feel that France again has got it VERY WRONG indeed.

Which explains very nicely why the French Republic is defending a secular Republic against having people's private superstitions shoved down everybody's throat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here