Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On Saturday, My School Are Taking A Group of Year 7's to See Charlton

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The Club have started this process. I am taking my Steyning Strikers squad to the Preston match on Saturday. We are in the family stand - but the price is £6 per ticket, and a free adult for every 10 tickets.

Exactly what is required. And what we need to do to start re-building our support base.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Seriously - year 7 kids are 11/12 why would they want to go and see league 1 football ahead of prem football? its a sad fact they wouldnt get half the number of kids going to Withdean on sat that are going to Charlton.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I agree with 1066. Something needs to be done.

Possibly a letter to all the schools in the area advertising the new stand, and pointing out it's a good chance to promote physical excercise. All the schools seem to be promoting healthy eating, and the government is on a push to reduce obesity so why not link up with the schools? Get's people through the turnstile, and a seat sold for a fiver is better then an empty seat.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
clapham_gull said:
Very sad. There used to be a coach from Heathfield that took supporters to the Goldstone Ground I seem to recall.

.. and Heathfield is an extremely easy place to get to the Withdean from.

There was, and I could normally be found on the back seat of said coach.

:wave:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
KinkyNormanBaker said:
Seriously - year 7 kids are 11/12 why would they want to go and see league 1 football ahead of prem football? its a sad fact they wouldnt get half the number of kids going to Withdean on sat that are going to Charlton.

That's very true. Give them a choice of premier league football ina nice stadium or championship football in a windswept hovel and the answer is obvious.

IF we had Falmer however I would hope that things would be very different. We would be able to attract a hell of a lot of these kids. Especially if we can sell the club as their club as opposed to it being a.n other premier league club.

Falmer can't come soon enough.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
KinkyNormanBaker said:

When I was at school we had various trips at the weekends.

We went to Selhurst Park to watch......Wimbledon, the Dell to watch the Siants obviously, and The goldstone.

Do the club make an effort with every single school? What about schools like Lancing/Brighton College etc. They will need activities at weekends.....

Have we really pushed this and got players visiting more and more schools? Even if it is the youth team....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Grimsby Town have distributed 25,000 vouchers to schools for their home match tomorrow to boost the crowd. For their last 6 home games they are offering a family ticket for £40 (2 adults + 2 children) to try and bring in another 2000.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
BarrelofFun said:
When I was at school we had various trips at the weekends.

We went to Selhurst Park to watch......Wimbledon, the Dell to watch the Siants obviously, and The goldstone.

Do the club make an effort with every single school? What about schools like Lancing/Brighton College etc. They will need activities at weekends.....

Have we really pushed this and got players visiting more and more schools? Even if it is the youth team....

When I was at Brighton College we had a normal school day on Saturdays, lessons in the morning & games in the afternoon.

Anyway, it's a rugby school, I don' t think they'd let the pupils go to football ( actually Mr Blackshaw did let us off for the Cup Final but that was a one-off ).

Correction; I'm sure I saw a few pupils & Mr. Smith at Withdean a couple of years back doing one of the collections, can't remember what it was for tho'.

Ex Hove Grammar

went on school trips to West Ham, Nottingham Forest and England internationals at Wembley

didn't turn into a fan of any of em

Kept going to the Goldstone tho:ascarf: :ascarf: :ascarf: :ascarf: :ascarf:

The Timekeeper

FAT BOY 'NOT' SLIM
Sep 25, 2003
At home, the pub,the bookies
I am taking 22 kids from my EBD school to see QPR V Albion on the 18th. We were given the tics FOC from QPR and are situated right opposite the dug out. I will be teaching them a few Albions songs on the way there just to wind the home crowd up a little:eek:

Last edited:

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
A van der Meyde said:
My P.E. department of my college, Heathfield Community College are taking a group of year 7's (I think. don't no much about how many and who are going) to Charlton vs. Middelsbrough.

I find this a disgrace and insult to the Albion.

Heathfield, the High Weald of East Sussex is well known for it's beauty of forest woodland and open countryside. You would think that any school would be proud to support the Albion as Brighton are the only professional football club in the Football League in East Sussex.

Why is it multi-million Premiership teams get all the publicity and support when clubs like us, Wrexham, Rotherham and Maccelsfield are dying out for support?

The Albion do everything they can to help the community. I find it a complete disgrace and farce that they cannot be rewarded and that a well-known town in our county cannot even bother to follow its major sporting team.

I beat these Year 7's will be pikies after they have seen the game.

I am considering making a complaint agaisnt my college on behalf of the Albion as I don't think it is right.

What do you lot think about this?
#

I live in Burwash and like all the small villages it drives me mad to see local kids in bloody premiershite shirts, I've even been thinking about offering to get a few kids down to Withdean. Would probably mean hiring a minibus and tring to cover costs etc.. but I fear most kids just won't be interested but I'm willing to give it a try, Insider any advice?

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
seagullsovergrimsby said:
Grimsby Town have distributed 25,000 vouchers to schools for their home match tomorrow to boost the crowd. For their last 6 home games they are offering a family ticket for £40 (2 adults + 2 children) to try and bring in another 2000.

Didnt think Grimsby's ground held 25,000

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
A van der Meyde said:
I beat these Year 7's

Leave them alone, they're just kids:p :lolol:

Last edited:

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
I totally agree with you A.V.D.M.I think we have got to be inviting kids to the Albion games now.Seeing as we might get relegated we surely should be doing some trips for the younger ones as our kids for a quid will never sell out.Also now we have the new stand then it must be a potential oppotunity to be bringing in the kids!We need Withdean filled!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here