Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympics: Puny Britain! Can't survive outside Europe?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wrong, and horribly. The original post, which is real (I read it) is real. The bit you added, that you think is no worse, you made up. In what way are these two completely different things the same?

Eh? They're the same inasmuch that as the Referendum debate progressed (or 'regressed' would be nearer the mark) both sides made more and more outlandish claims. Project Fear verses an extra fifty squillion quid a day for the NHS. Some of the headlines in the Independent leading up to the vote were incredible, and yes "Brexit 'could accelerate climate change'" was one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Eh? They're the same inasmuch that as the Referendum debate progressed (or 'regressed' would be nearer the mark) both sides made more and more outlandish claims. Project Fear verses an extra fifty squillion quid a day for the NHS. Some of the headlines in the Independent leading up to the vote were incredible, and yes "Brexit 'could accelerate climate change'" was one.

OK. I missed the Indy headline. Apologies.

I found the whole campaign to be utter madness. The only positions that stood up were 'I don't know or care what harm Brexit may or may not do, I simply cannot tolerate being told what to do, no matter how trivial, by another soverign state' . . . . and . . . . 'I don't know or care what harm remaining may or may not do, but logic dictates that making no change is likely to lead to no change, so why gamble'?

I wonder how long it will take before someone notices that we have not taken even one tiny step towards actually Brexitting? I heard yesterday it has been delayed till 2017 (by 'it' I mean the announcement of some sort of plan, not the Brexit itself). If I were keen to leave I would be livid.

Cheers!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last night I started thinking about Mary Peters (as you do). It then occurred to me that 'team GB' is surely also 'and Northern Ireland'. That means it should be 'team UK', since GB plus NI equals the UK. I looked it up and apparently the name 'team GB' is a cock up'. That said, strictly speaking, it is not 'team UK' eaither since it includes places like Gibralter and Isle of Man that are neither part of the UK nor Great Britain. I do find it extraordinary that the majority of 'us' either don't know or don't care what our country is called, or even if it is a country or a commonwealth (WTF is that?) or an empire. No wonder it is disintegrating/devolving.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Terrible isn't it, I mean , it's not like any funds or final salary pension funds were closed or closed to new members before the brexit vote is it :facepalm:

I'm still waiting for 7side to tell me about my pension fund being closed.
I (and google search) will be a little miffed if the news arrives from this thread and not my bosses.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
OK. I missed the Indy headline. Apologies.

I found the whole campaign to be utter madness. The only positions that stood up were 'I don't know or care what harm Brexit may or may not do, I simply cannot tolerate being told what to do, no matter how trivial, by another soverign state' . . . . and . . . . 'I don't know or care what harm remaining may or may not do, but logic dictates that making no change is likely to lead to no change, so why gamble'?

I wonder how long it will take before someone notices that we have not taken even one tiny step towards actually Brexitting? I heard yesterday it has been delayed till 2017 (by 'it' I mean the announcement of some sort of plan, not the Brexit itself). If I were keen to leave I would be livid.

Cheers!

That's not accurate, is it? A minister for brexit has been appointed and is building his department, a minister for international trade has been appointed and is building his department as well as meeting with international trading partners. The schedule for invoking article 50 has been announced as 2017. Surely you agree that all those actions are part of a plan that is being executed? Regarding the 2017 date, you are confusing a plan to leave with a schedule to deliver the plan.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's not accurate, is it? A minister for brexit has been appointed and is building his department, a minister for international trade has been appointed and is building his department as well as meeting with international trading partners. The schedule for invoking article 50 has been announced as 2017. Surely you agree that all those actions are part of a plan that is being executed? Regarding the 2017 date, you are confusing a plan to leave with a schedule to deliver the plan.

Whilst the ministers have been appointed, they are squabbling like small children, as serial shagger Boris Johnson and disgraced former Defence Minister Liam Fox are at war with one another.

Boris and Liam Fox.PNG

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
OP is right we are better off without the eu. need to get rid of the foriegners at the Albion to before i come back. Thats why we should keep Stevens and let Knockart go. If we have a good spine of British players like Stockdale, Bruno, Stevens and Murray then are passion will get us promoted and all you Tobys can do one.

#BrexitMeansBrexit

Regards

DR

OH DEAR YOU BEEN CAUGHT OUT by my imposter, THERE'S ONLY ONE DR :wave:
regards
DR

How have I not spotted this before? :lol:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The result of Brexit has NO bearing whatsoever on the performance in this or the recent Olympics over the past 20 years,the National Lottery funding that goes to sports at grass roots levels upwards has..

It's Great Britain that is represented not (lille ole enlgend) but that is besides the point.....50 years from now there could be minimal representation from European countries,in fact it could be just an EU single state representation at the games by then...

The EU in its present format will not exist in 50 years time. In fact, I would be hugely surprised if it is still surviving in 15 years time. Any study of history shows that it is destined to have a limited life span. In London, in 1948, we could very easily have had a Superstate competing, with our own identity largely eradicated. Fortunately, we managed to fight off this ghastly idea, only to be sucked in and seduced all over again. We have given ourselves yet another chance to rediscover a sense of national interest and identity.

" Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools, and their grandchildren are once more slaves "

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
The EU in its present format will not exist in 50 years time. In fact, I would be hugely surprised if it is still surviving in 15 years time. Any study of history shows that it is destined to have a limited life span. In London, in 1948, we could very easily have had a Superstate competing, with our own identity largely eradicated. Fortunately, we managed to fight off this ghastly idea, only to be sucked in and seduced all over again. We have given ourselves yet another chance to rediscover a sense of national interest and identity.

" Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools, and their grandchildren are once more slaves "

Jeez, are you for real?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
we weren't going to thrive remaining in the EU THAT'S WHY 52% voted to leave, general view was that leavers were generally weak defeatists ???
regards
DR

Thanks for adding extra emphasis to my point; illogical idiocy won the day.

Going back to the OP and turning his logic on its head, perhaps Team GB are succesful due to Britain thriving in the EU.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Is that a DH Lawrence quote?

Here's another " The idea of giving power to the hands of the working class is wrong."

And another

"Above all there must be no democratic control—that is the worst of all. "

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsXKS8Nyu8Q

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Nice post,let's hope so....i like the quote at the end,i voted leave the EU..

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Now that we have taken back control I am sure that our new 'besties' the Chinese won't mind at all if we beat them in the medal's table and , of course, our other new mates Russia are totally chilled about the whole affair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here