Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympics and London? No way please!

Yorkie said:
Euro 96 was a great success as I remember.
And the 1966 World Cup was brilliant.

I remember Birmingham buzzing - and all the city did was play host to three games played by Spain, West Germany and Argentina.

The Olympics in London will set a new tone that will last for years. Look at Barcelona. Look at Sydney.

Never mind London. We could hold the Olympics in the Brighton area. We've an athletics arena at Withdean that would put others in the World to shame. Down the road at Preston Park there's the tennis courts and cycling veladrome or whatever it's called. The lawn bowls rinks are just across London Road. Swimming? Somebody with a hose could fill up Saltdean Lido. I would suggest Hickstead for the eventing but that would just be stupid. All the bent athletes would have no problem scoring illegal drugs in the city centre. The Olympic village? Don't bother. There's lot's of nice (?) B & B's around Lower Rock gardens where the athletes could doss down for the night.

London, Paris, etc. Don't bother biding now. The Olympics are coming to Brighton........

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
It would be great to have such a prestigious event in London and the South-East. I can see it now - beach volleyball at Buckingham Palace...

No joking, i was told today that the Volleyball is penciled in to play at Hourseguards.

Personally im against it, not becuase "it might be a bit difficult to park" but the lie on which it is sold. All the investment that will go into it will be diverted from other things, like hospitals a nd schools. There's a bit of money from sponsers but its a drop in the ocean. Money that will improve transport links and housing in the east end should (and probably will) be spent anyway.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
So, the only points in favour of the olympics being held in
London seem to be footie-based......fair enough,,,,,

But the olympics may include darts next time around..

for Pete's sake.

beorhthelm said:
Personally im against it, not becuase "it might be a bit difficult to park" but the lie on which it is sold. All the investment that will go into it will be diverted from other things, like hospitals a nd schools. There's a bit of money from sponsers but its a drop in the ocean. Money that will improve transport links and housing in the east end should (and probably will) be spent anyway.
It's not the COSTS that we should worry about.

It's the INCOME that we should be thinking about - and I'm not talking about ticket sales for Olympic events. Extra tourism revenue for YEARS. All of the regeneration benefits. Even the "feel good" factor that feeds through into a booming economy.

Why do you think other cities want the Olympics? Why do other cities throw bribes about? Because the Olympics are WORTH HAVING!

Last edited:

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Bracknell,

Sir.....you're living in a dream world.....

what abvout the money that goes into building an olympic
site..MY MONEY that that wa**ker Coe is spending on publicity...
don't forget that when you're tourist counting.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
essbee said:

the ticket prices (as per Athens) will be astronomical for the
plumb races etc.....
They're bringing in plumb racing now ? Well thats just bloody ridiculous. The beach volleyball was stretching things, but if they're involving fruit in the track & field events as well now, then thats where I draw the line.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Shurely you mean "draw the lime"?

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Thimble Keegan said:
I would prefer to travel to another country for a football tournament...Holding it here would be rubbish.

have a word. best stadia, best police, best fans. the world cup should be held here every four years. and i'd love the olympics to come here - about time we held a sporting occasion we can be proud of.

albion and england forever (well, of course)
tid (my username)

manchester bha (like you care)

Roger Mellie

Sep 27, 2004
London SE1
It would be great to have the olympics in London or in England anywhere. Some are sooo narrow minded. Can't park, my council tax will go up - well f*** off to some shite city or town where nothing happens. The only country that has managed to lose money in recent history is america and who gives a f*** about them. I'm sure there will be some negative stuff but olympics where I live in my lifetime - bring it on.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
unless you are in your 60s you won't remember an olympics in the UK.

the majority of us should see it here once in our lifetime. It will cost money but it will also improve the infrastructure in a run down part of London.

We are supposed to be the 4th strongest economy in the world FFS!

Oh, and the World Cup finals in England? Yes please!

Last edited:

essbee said:
Bracknell,

Sir.....you're living in a dream world.....

what abvout the money that goes into building an olympic
site..MY MONEY that that wa**ker Coe is spending on publicity...
don't forget that when you're tourist counting.
OK. I won't forget it.

How much is Coe spending on publicity?

Substantially less than the £2.4 billion in additional tourist revenue that a successful Olympics can bring in, I would guess.

[That's the figure for Sydney, btw]

Roger Mellie

Sep 27, 2004
London SE1
essbee it sounds like after your 17 years in london (same as me) its time to get out. If you haven't got the enthusiasm for the worlds greatest sporting spectacle in your back yard what the f*** are you doing here. Living in town has enough shit to go with it that if you can't get enthusiastic about the benefits it may have by way of hosting such an event whats the point???

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Wasn't it mentioned the yachting and boating would be held in Brighton??

I'm all for it, let's make it a Games to be proud of.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
What do our Manchester based people think about the Commonwealth games that were held there two years ago?

Man City had a new stadium and I don't remember any horror stories about parking etc (only a hilarious story about the African cycling team who were practising on the M60)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
For me a big YES PLEASE.....

The legacy will be lasting and relevant, if nothing else there will be sporting and infrastructure changes left afterwards, none of this would be put in without the Olympic Games.

Housing, cheap or otherwise will be left once the athletes leave.

A period of disruption, yes, but name any major event in any country at any time that does not cause disruption.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yorkie said:
What do our Manchester based people think about the Commonwealth games that were held there two years ago?

Man City had a new stadium and I don't remember any horror stories about parking etc (only a hilarious story about the African cycling team who were practising on the M60)

Aside from all the new sports facilities built in a previously run down area, it made a big difference to the city centre and a lot of effort was put into cleaning the place up, particulary Picadilly Station which was a dump before. In addition to that it seemed to creat a feel good factor about town.

I think the Olympics would be great for London and the UK in general.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Olympics in London YES PLEASE.
If you make the argument on all the money should be spent on schools and hospitals then you'd do nothing. What next shut down all the museums and art galleries - we could spend the money on schools and hospitals. Disband the army and foreign aid, we could spend it on schools and hospitals blah blah ....

People in this country are so bloody negative. I've lived here 14 years and in August theres no bloody traffic anyway, because all the kids are on holiday. Ask anyone, driving in August in London is a dream.

I don't mind paying the extra council tax, at least Ken has said the amount and what its going for (approx £8 per month per londoner), admittedly I'd like to know where the other £120 of tax I pay is going, but thats a different story.

I think Coe et al are doing a good job and I wish everyone would get behind them, it would be a right laugh having the Olympics here.

Maybe they should cancel the Ashes this summer because its a right pain parking in St Johns wood when they're playing at Lords.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here