Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old skool hip/hop-rap-type stuff, help needed

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whenever the summer sun pops out, I find myself settling in for some De La Soul. As most right minded people should.

My question regards Q-Tip, assuming he's remained in the same mellow genre, what's his stand out stuff?

And yes, this is a question I've been meaning to ask for the last 10 years :lol:.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Surely its the right weather for a RAVE UP !

"So I was standin in a corner, a lookin for my Rizzla..." :jester:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I haven't liked any of Q Tip's non Tribe stuff really but some of it is supposed to be alright. He made a really poppy album about 6 or 7 years ago which was piss poor IMO.

If you want that relaxed west coast hip hop stuff check out Ugly Ducking (though most proper hip hop heads will tell you they are bollocks) and Jurassic 5 of course. Maybe even Dilated Peoples.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
f*** all of the above.

His new album's tip-top, but for a cruising summer tune you can't go wrong with Let's Ride off Amplified. Kamaal The Abstract, the really jazzy downtempo album the label wouldn't sell a few years ago, is going to finally be released this year, although you could download it probably. I can send you a copy if you send me your address.

Midnight Marauders and Beats Rhymes And Life (both Tribe) both perfect at this time of year though.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Q-Tip's last LP The Renaissance is actually rather good, and very summery listening. You should definitely check it out. Other reccomendations are Aussie crew Low Budget's LP Laserdisc, and Raphael Saadiq's LP The Way I see it. All good summer vibe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers guys.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Jesus............I now Know how old i am......Old skool hip hop !! I know there are puristist's in other music forms but Hip Hop !!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bomb the bass......Megablast:thumbsup:

[yt]EgjNb-6EOYw[/yt]

Bought the album (Enter the Dragon) when I was 15.....still got the tape somewhere!

Last edited:

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
Get into late 80's early 90's British gear

Silver Bullit - Bring Down The Walls No Limit Squad Returns LP
Caveman
Demon Boyz - Recongition LP
Hijack
Mc Duke & DJ Leader 1 - Organised Rhyme LP

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Public Enemy...when rappers had something to say other than hookers,bling,ass capping and hhhhoooooooooo's.

2live crew also had real issues to rhyme about.......apart from " a f*** is a f*** ******!"

With my very limited knowledge (hence the thread) of cool, mellow, summer tracks even I know, they ain't it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here