Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Fixtures

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Was there a home game between Saturday 13th February 1971 & Saturday 27th February 1971. I only ask as I have been given the programmes for the games and wish to frame them or if the proposed Museum wants them they can.

The interesting thing is the price. The first is 1/- and the second 5p. the games are Shrewsbury Town, and the second Preston North End.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I remember those games (well i would, wouldn't I?). Both were poor games but the Shrews game we equalised in the last min only for them to get a winner.

Odd fact is that, although our home kit was all white, on this occasion we wore red socks and Shrews were in all blue (could have been yellow or white socks.) that night, on MoTD were 2 teams in almost identical colours playing out one of the greatest ever FA Cup shocks with the blue team again beating the whites. can you guess the game?

The preston game was a dour 0-0 but not seen as a bad score against one of the promotion bound teams. This was pat sawards 1st season and he took a while to get a team together. Who would have thought that this poor team would, the following season, turn into pure FLAIR and win promotion.

As for the question, very much doubt there would have been a home game between these fixtures, why not look in the programme?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I remember those games (well i would, wouldn't I?). Both were poor games but the Shrews game we equalised in the last min only for them to get a winner.

Odd fact is that, although our home kit was all white, on this occasion we wore red socks and Shrews were in all blue (could have been yellow or white socks.) that night, on MoTD were 2 teams in almost identical colours playing out one of the greatest ever FA Cup shocks with the blue team again beating the whites. can you guess the game?

The preston game was a dour 0-0 but not seen as a bad score against one of the promotion bound teams. This was pat sawards 1st season and he took a while to get a team together. Who would have thought that this poor team would, the following season, turn into pure FLAIR and win promotion.

As for the question, very much doubt there would have been a home game between these fixtures, why not look in the programme?

I struggle to remember games before Christmas!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

That Shrewsbury game we were still celebrating our escape from defeat when they knocked in the winner - echoes of the last few weeks:lolol:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I struggle to remember games before Christmas!

So do I but prompt me on something from the decade of 67 - 77 and it all comes back.

I'll be a classic old git rambling on about the good ol' days & when i was a lad....

....but not quite during the war!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yep, quite right. Colchester were Div 4 and leeds were the best team in Europe, nay, the World.

Somethings never change.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Sorry I misread the original post the game between these two was away at Swansea lost 1-0

Could be my memory failing but was this the Preston game where Bobby Charlton was playing for them?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Not NEARLY enough detail. If you're going to give accounts of games from the past, we need a fuller description than that. What minute did Shrews first take the lead ? Who scored ? What was the goal like ? What was the crowd that afternoon ? You've not even mentioned the weather or the pitch conditions.

As for the 0-0, there must have been a few chances ? Who had more possession ? Shots on / off target, corners ?

DETAIL man. DETAIL.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Not NEARLY enough detail. If you're going to give accounts of games from the past, we need a fuller description than that. What minute did Shrews first take the lead ? Who scored ? What was the goal like ? What was the crowd that afternoon ? You've not even mentioned the weather or the pitch conditions.

As for the 0-0, there must have been a few chances ? Who had more possession ? Shots on / off target, corners ?

DETAIL man. DETAIL.

Which players had their shirts untucked?

Goodchild63

Nov 19, 2007
Goring-By-Sea
I remember the Preston game Freddie. Do you recall the penalty fiasco ? I think it was Kit Napier about to take it when Allen Duffy rushed up and took it and put it wide. I think the game against Preston in which Bobby Charlton played in was a couple of years later,when we got stuffed 4-0.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember the Preston game Freddie. Do you recall the penalty fiasco ? I think it was Kit Napier about to take it when Allen Duffy rushed up and took it and put it wide. I think the game against Preston in which Bobby Charlton played in was a couple of years later,when we got stuffed 4-0.

I remember a game a season or 2 later when the Chesterfield keeper (Stephenson I think) thought he had been fouled and had heard a whistle. He placed the ball on the ground and all the players retreated waiting for him to take it bar Kit Napier who smashed it into an empty net from six yards out. We all waited fro the admonishing from the ref but it never came and he awarded the goal.

Come on Freddie I need comfrmation.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Spot on Questions, one of the most unusual goals I've seen

Easy, the Shrews game was a dull, gray day and the pitch was "moist" but 2 weeks later it was hard and bumpy.

The 0-0 was not the Bobby Charlton game but, as mentioned, he played when they thrashed us 4-0 at the Goldstone. I wonder how many other World cup winners have played a competitive match at the Goldstone/ Alan Ball certainly, Martin Peters possibly and I think Ray Wilson too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here