Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Brighton Bands

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Ah, halcyon days: I remember going to see Birds With Ears (singer Ian Smith used to wear a suit covered with fairy lights !) and The Chefs at various venues in Brighton during the early 1980s, and also knew the guys who worked in Attrix Records on Sydney Street.

Fond memories.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
My old man lived upstairs, above Attrix records. I still look up when I walk past Davids Bookshop..
Can't say I remember the Basement, but I do remember the Resources Ctr and the Vault, and of course the Buccaneer which is now the Escape

The Basement was under the Art College, first saw 'The Piranahs' and 'Peter And The Test-Tube Babies' there.

Not sure how i remember that. :lolol:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Nicky and the Dots were my faves followed by Smeggy and the Cheesy bits.
Never liked the Pirahnas, nice guys, but dull music. Midnight and the Lemon boys had their moments, story ges all the AR men went to the Marquee to see them, unfortunately a band called U2 were on the same bill and the rest is history

Read Atillas piece on the Vault. Plague victims skulls in the walls, god those were the days.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Nicky and the Dots were my faves followed by Smeggy and the Cheesy bits.
Never liked the Pirahnas, nice guys, but dull music. Midnight and the Lemon boys had their moments, story ges all the AR men went to the Marquee to see them, unfortunately a band called U2 were on the same bill and the rest is history

Midnight and the Lemon Boys toured with U2 for a while and the rest is history.
But then talking of old Brighton bands, These Animal Men made their first and onlt Top of the Pops appearance on the same show as Oasis and t look how their fortunes differed

Read Atillas piece on the Vault. Plague victims skulls in the walls, god those were the days.
And glue sniffers trying to break in to the rehearsal rooms..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ah, halcyon days: I remember going to see Birds With Ears (singer Ian Smith used to wear a suit covered with fairy lights !) and The Chefs at various venues in Brighton during the early 1980s, and also knew the guys who worked in Attrix Records on Sydney Street.

Fond memories.

Birds With Ears were art-school pretentious tossers IMHO. That Ian Smith was a legend in his own imagination. In fact, most of the Brighton lot were so far up their own arses that they never really bothered busting a gut. Midnight And The Lemon Boys even got handed a mega-contract if memory serves, and STILL couln't be arsed. Me, I used to SWOON over pop poppets like the Chefs and The Red Squares. Best thing about Brighton music scene at the time was that it was a complete no-go-zone for heavy metal, apart from maybe the Northern :lol:

Used to know all the Attrix lot also; Rick and Julie and stewart and Noddy. GRAND days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here