Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Oi yoof help out a fuddy-duddy (Christmas present buying - mixing desk)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I used to have this ... which was nice.

004.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's fvcking OCTOBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’ll happily ask my son, who’s very into this DJ controlling malarkey as well as, more recently, proper music production. He’s done the music recordings for a few local bands, some of whom rely on sampling, some even play instruments.

There are two major problems however:

1. Like many things, it’s full of highly specific language, depending on what exactly you want to do, and what you want to achieve. If I ask him for advice based on the data you’ve provided so far, he’d launch into an hour-long enthusiastic monologue using words and acronyms that bear only a passing relationship to English. I’d have no clue what any of it meant...

2. ... and neither would you, even if I sent you a recording of our conversation.

I would advise two things: get her to be specific about what she actually wants to do (there seem to be about 20 different things, each requiring a slightly different bit of kit - though they do all have knobs and lights. Once she/you know what she wants to do, use a piece of free software to see how keen she actually is. There is plenty of time between now and Xmas for her both to try it out for free and then, if she remains interested, buy something as a present.

If she does get/remain interested, prepare to understand even less of what she’s talking about than you currently do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ll happily ask my son, who’s very into this DJ controlling malarkey as well as, more recently, proper music production. He’s done the music recordings for a few local bands, some of whom rely on sampling, some even play instruments.

There are two major problems however:

1. Like many things, it’s full of highly specific language, depending on what exactly you want to do, and what you want to achieve. If I ask him for advice based on the data you’ve provided so far, he’d launch into an hour-long enthusiastic monologue using words and acronyms that bear only a passing relationship to English. I’d have no clue what any of it meant...

2. ... and neither would you, even if I sent you a recording of our conversation.

I would advise two things: get her to be specific about what she actually wants to do (there seem to be about 20 different things, each requiring a slightly different bit of kit - though they do all have knobs and lights. Once she/you know what she wants to do, use a piece of free software to see how keen she actually is. There is plenty of time between now and Xmas for her both to try it out for free and then, if she remains interested, buy something as a present.

If she does get/remain interested, prepare to understand even less of what she’s talking about than you currently do.
Thanks.

She has no idea what she wants or what she wants to do with it, but it would be cool!
It just ticks the 'easy present' box for an introverted child who needs headphones on and own space.
Now it's on the horizon I'm amazed we've not thought of it before.

As with everything I assume Fisher Price do a £20 'wee papa girl rapper' my first DJ toy up to a million pound stadium rig.

Well all I'm after, and have no knowledge about, is a good entry level unit with 2 wickity wickity was waahs.

Thankfully NSC is coming up trumps, which is much appreciated.

Oh and it must have an airhorn button, but that's for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bingo. I'll look forward to my prize.

Yes, sounds like she wants to mix the music she has on her devices with a controller like the one you just linked to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=pioneer+ddj+200&i=mi&ref=nb_sb_noss

As per @<u><a href="http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/member.php?u=36111" target="_blank">Klaas</a></u> post, it sounds like you'd want a DJ Controller. Pioneer and Numark both make some good kit.

Something like this might be a good starting point

https://www.westenddj.co.uk/pioneer...xzgvKWGGw_NpsXE5lbqrYZKpc dHtaxoCaMIQAvD_BwE

Question worth looking in to.
Can it run from streaming or downloads only?
Think the Numark Party Mix needs a PC with the tunes downloaded.
Add Headphones as well plus speakers.
EDIT
Looking further I'd say the Pioneer DDJ-200 https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-gb/product/controller/ddj-200/black/overview/
is your best bet. Spotify premium account needed. Pioneer are the leaders in DJ gear so will last as well.
Thanks chaps.

I've dipped in and out of this, looking at views makes and models review and tutorials on Youtube.
Naturally NSC wins as I've just bought her the Pioneer ddj-200. (sorry Bozza no stock on Amazon)

If it's possible to be simultaneously really impressed and have no idea what the hell is going on, then that's me right now.

Thanks again I genuinely would have been really lost without your advise.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
but did you buy the required giraffe? if not she will be disappointed and all your efforts will be in vain

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks, odd that didn't come up yesterday.
Although those are £40 above RRP.
I found one available in the UK, at RRP, so I'm very happy because I'm a fuddy-duddy.

That said though I have also bought myself a pair of, charge in the case, talk to you, in-ear headphones, which are Chinese knock-offs.
I'm amazed by the pair I got Jnr for his birthday and now NEED my own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here