Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OGH

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Oh, I don't know, kept us in the league at the arse end of last season perhaps?

Interesting one this - I love Gary Hart, will trust Gus, but can't help but feel that unless he's been offered an opportunity to stay on at the club in a non-playing capacity then maybe he should move on if he wants regular first team football.

Anyway, we'll see what happens in the summer.

As for Hawkins - think that Poyet has got that correct too, he obviously has morals, and is going to allow Hawkins a) the chance to prove he is good enough, something which Poyet won't know yet, and b) if he isn't good enough, it's the chance to get fit so another club can sign him

Another agreed here. They haven't been given contracts so people fussing over nothing.

Southseagull

Apr 19, 2009
Brinkhurst gone then..

Yep feel sorry for the lad.

Feel sorry for Pelling and Brinkhurst in the way they were told, Pelling told over the phone and Brinkhurst found out from another source.

Surprised that the lads didn't have a face to face chat like promised the other week after 10 years at the club !

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
just trying to work out how next season's squad might be looking based on what we know or can surmise now and Poyet's statement that he basically wants 2 people challenging for each position:

KEEPER (1)
Brezovan
Kuipers (Walker in Development squad)

RIGHT BACK (1)
Calderon
Hoyte (whether permanent or on loan)

CENTRE BACK (2)
el Abd
Tunnicliffe
Alba
Elphick
ANOther (Dunk in development squad)

LEFT BACK (1)
Painter
McNulty

DEFENSIVE/HOLDING MIDFIELD (1)
Arismendi (loan)
Navarro

MIDFIELD (2)
Dicker
Crofts
Hendrie
ANOther (Caskey & Jamie Smith in the development squad)

WING BACK (2)
Bennett
Carole
LuaLua (loan)

STRIKER (2)
Murray
Barnes
Holroyd
ANOther
Dickinson or ANOther (Barker in the development squad)

That would give us a squad of about 25 with maybe 4 new signings on top of the ones we have on loan now. That balance of new faces seems about right in order to not be too disruptive - more than that and you will lose a season while they settle in.

I am assuming that Jake Wright doesn't stay although I do feel he got a bum deal being played out of position and could easily do a good job for us as a left footed centre back. We do need an experienced older head in there with better footballing skill than el Abd to undertake the Guy Butters role and carry and develop the youngsters. I am discounting Hawkins because although he played well until he was injured I don't think he is sufficiently experienced/self confident to fulfil that role

I am also assuming that whatever Hart's role (and I have a suspicion he will still have one) it won't be in the first team squad. Similarly I am having a wild guess that Whing and Davies will be gone. Dickinson will surely only go if we get a good slice of money back so I have provisionally included him in the squad as he may need to score a few to persuade someone to shell out a £150K+ fee. I wouldn't be surprised if he went or indeed if he stayed. Likewise with Murray tbh as he is more likely to attract a buyer having scored more freely over the last 2 seasons.

I don't think we will entertain bidders for Bennett so McNulty and Elphick seem the players most likely to have suitors prepared to pay a reasonable fee for their services and would need to be replaced if they did go.

Of the current loanees I think Lualua is the most vulnerable as Newcastle may want him to step up to the Championship. He is more likely to get a game with us though.

The development squad looks like it will cost us at least £500K in added wage costs (plus we may need additional training facilities) so one showcase signing of a striker and another proven goalscorer plus a centre back and creative midfielder each with Championship experience may be it for this year - it would certainly make sense in terms of Poyet's "budget" statement. That is why I think Kuipers may well stay as back-up to Brez although I have some misgivings. However at this level it offers more strength in depth between the posts than most of our competitors will have.

The more I think about it the more impressed I am that Gus seems to have used an already bad season when little could be achieved beyond staying up as the springboard for creating a really solid squad that, because it won't be massively disrupted by new bodies coming in, could genuinely challenge at the top.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
While I have nothing but respect for Hart and for the service and effort he's put in during his time with us, surely he has nothing to offer a team pushing for the Championship at this stage of his career.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yep feel sorry for the lad.

Feel sorry for Pelling and Brinkhurst in the way they were told, Pelling told over the phone and Brinkhurst found out from another source.

Surprised that the lads didn't have a face to face chat like promised the other week after 10 years at the club !

According to the club Gus will be talking to Pelling tomorrow......unless you know something different?

Would be interested to know howthe decision on Brinkhurst was "leaked" to him.

Are the sources for these two "facts" the same?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We will know tomorrow about Chef's future because he is seeing the boss. Seb's future will be known after the game on Saturday or possibly left until Monday for an official announcement. My own personal opinion is that OGH maybe offered a coaching position , FDM made available as a "free" with the understanding that one of the ramp up games at Falmer will be his testimonial match. If Sebba plays like he did at MK Dons then Gus may offer him a 3 month contract but when The Hawk is re-assessed he will be told he is not going to be offered anything.

Southseagull

Apr 19, 2009
According to the club Gus will be talking to Pelling tomorrow......unless you know something different?

Would be interested to know howthe decision on Brinkhurst was "leaked" to him.

Are the sources for these two "facts" the same?

1. Yep, told today.
2. internet
3. yes friend of the pellings

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
As much I love OGH, I think it time he is let gone and him to find another club. I just don't see a way of him getting into the first team next season, aswell as Hawkins it good he will be coming back for pre-season training, but what can he offer us?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here