Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Ofwat to basically deregulate water companies….

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Surely the most important point about nationalisation of infrastructure is that even if the public sector turns out to be no better than private, no-one's actively making a profit from that incompetence.

By now it's pretty obvious the idea that the private sector is inherently better at running everything efficiently is flawed.

The NHS was deemed to be one of the most efficient health care systems in the world in 2010 (in a study of 7 major countries, the US coming out the worst) but that hasn't stopped it being hammered by successive governments.

alanfp

Feb 23, 2024
Welsh Water is NOT state owned. Don't know that it makes much difference to the arguments/outcomes but just getting the facts right (which is always a good starting point) in any discussion.

alanfp

Feb 23, 2024
Shenanigans is a good word. Another appropriate phrase is "smoke and mirrors".

So complex. I've skim-read and I don't pretend to understand it all. But I can see that there is a finance/holding company based in the Cayman Islands - is that within the catchment area of the River Thames? Other water companies have similar arrangements with finance companies based away from the UK e.g. Northumbrian Water.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Shenanigans is a good word. Another appropriate phrase is "smoke and mirrors".

So complex. I've skim-read and I don't pretend to understand it all. But I can see that there is a finance/holding company based in the Cayman Islands - is that within the catchment area of the River Thames? Other water companies have similar arrangements with finance companies based away from the UK e.g. Northumbrian Water.
And Southern Water's majority shareholder the Macquarie Bank.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
The water companies need to be renationalised without compensation on the basis they have ripped off customers over 35 years to pay out dividends instead of investment and modernisation.

I agree, private ownership can only run it cheaper than state ownership if it cuts environmental corners, and performs accounting tricks which eventually get it bailed out by the taxpayer. Private profits, public costs.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The water companies need to be renationalised without compensation on the basis they have ripped off customers over 35 years to pay out dividends instead of investment and modernisation.
I'm not 100% convinced that is all of it, but I do agree that water should not be a private commodity. That was a bad move in the 80s.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Screenshot_2024-08-04-23-11-12-13_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I agree, private ownership can only run it cheaper than state ownership if it cuts environmental corners, and performs accounting tricks which eventually get it bailed out by the taxpayer. Private profits, public costs.
That is why you need a competent regulator, to ensure they maintain water quality and infrastructure. Unfortunately, we don't have one.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
That is why you need a competent regulator, to ensure they maintain water quality and infrastructure. Unfortunately, we don't have one.

In my experience, even regulators that start competent tend to become weakened or undermined over time, either through industry lobbying causing governments to render them toothless, or just incompetence as they get headed up by political appointments.

Given that the taxpayer inevitably ends up with the cost of the bailout, I’d rather the taxpayer also had control of the service, and that we would look to expand abroad rather like French or American businesses do.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The government is leaning on Ofwat to be tougher, and there's news this morning that 3 water companies are being fined for poor performance. BBC News - Water companies face £168m fines over sewage spills

There's another regulator - the Environment Agency- and they'were starved of resources and told to go easy on industry by the Tories. Hopefully that'll change now.

However, the CEO of Southern Water got a £183k bonus in July which flies in the face of Labour's pledges to not allow bonuses if there are environmental breaches.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Moves afoot to pass laws to jail CEOs of water companies for up to two years for pumping sewage and polluted water into rivers and lakes! Sadly just for obstructing enquiries, should be for doing it full stop imo.

Hopefully that should concentrate their minds. I have been calling for this for two years now, the people at the top earning obscene wages should be properly accountable. Talk of blocking bonus payments for them too :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here