Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Offside or Onside you decide

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bottom line......if he's behind the ball when it's played he's on side, the old rule was when the ball is played two players including the goalkeeper must be between you and the ball. What it is now is anyone's guess and is normally made up in the day by the ref and his assistants.

Slightly wrong it is any 2 players the goalkeeper does not or did not get mentioned it could have been both full backs or whoever so long as it was 2 players of the defending side between the attaacking player and the goal again no mention of the ball other than when it was kicked.

A study of 1000 cases carried out in America proved that 90% of offside decisions are wrong either given when it is not or vice versa this is due to the speed of the eye to see 1st the kicker of the ball, then the ball, then the attacking player.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Slightly wrong it is any 2 players the goalkeeper does not or did not get mentioned it could have been both full backs or whoever so long as it was 2 players of the defending side between the attaacking player and the goal again no mention of the ball other than when it was kicked.

A study of 1000 cases carried out in America proved that 90% of offside decisions are wrong either given when it is not or vice versa this is due to the speed of the eye to see 1st the kicker of the ball, then the ball, then the attacking player.

The solution is to have a microphone implanted in the ball and have the linesmen wearing headphones so they can HEAR when the ball is hit without having to take their EYES off the last defender and striker.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The solution is to have a microphone implanted in the ball and have the linesmen wearing headphones so they can HEAR when the ball is hit without having to take their EYES off the last defender and striker.

That was the solution suggested by the people carrying out the survey. Incidentally they used film of different standard matches in different countries and it was actually 90% of disputed offsides as many are so obvious that it would not be worth disputing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
although Adams said the ball was pulled 'back', that doesn't seem to be the case.

Shame.

Nice picture though John.

Playing the ball back doesnt make any difference to onside or offside.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Playing the ball back doesnt make any difference to onside or offside.

Sure about that?

So theoretically I could pass the ball from the edge of the penalty box back to the centre circile and that person could be offside?

???

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
A yard offside.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes it does, you can't be offside if you're behind the ball when it's played.

I didnt say anything about where players are positioned. I said playing the ball backwards is irrelevant. You can play the ball backwards but if a team mate is positoined ahead of the ball and interfering with play he is off-side surely?

This was debated a while back by me, as I used to believe the playing the ball backwards meant no off-side could be given.....I was corrected. The off-side rule was produced and no-where does it state anything about the direction of ball....only about players behind behind it or behind/level 2 opponents etc.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sure about that?

So theoretically I could pass the ball from the edge of the penalty box back to the centre circile and that person could be offside?

???

.....if a team mate is ahead of the ball and deemed interfering with play yes. This is my understanding of the game.

The reality is the ref would let play continue in this situation but technically if the team mate is interfering it would be off.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here are the FIFA rules. Check the second section titled 'Offence'. No mention is given of the direction of the travel of the ball, it simply says 'the moment the ball is played':

Offside Position
It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.
A player is in an offside position if:
• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
second last opponent
A player is not in an offside position if:
• he is in his own half of the fi eld of play or
• he is level with the second last opponent or
• he is level with the last two opponents
Offence
A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the
ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of
the referee, involved in active play by:
• interfering with play or
• interfering with an opponent or
• gaining an advantage by being in that position
No Offence
There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:
• a goal kick
• a throw-in
• a corner kick

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I took the image and drew some "parallel" lines on it.

I say parallel, because you have to take in mind the perspective of the image.

The added lines on my image itself aren't parallel in two dimensions, but represent what is parallel in reality.

After adding those lines, Murray seen to be far more in-line with the ball that on first observation.

.. but still looks just offside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here