Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Offshore pirate radio.

Probably half of all 1960s, 70s & 80s Radio 1 and Radio 2 DJs began their careers in Luxembourg - including Pete Murray, Simon Dee, Noel Edmonds, Mike Read, Peter Powell, Kid Jensen, Emperor Rosko, to name but a few.

Even bloody Chris Moyles started out on Radio Luxembourg, just before it closed down in 1992.
Don't forget Kent Walton, the voice of wrestling on ITV and a Radio Luxembourg DJ. In the middle of his Luxembourg programme, he ALWAYS played a Buddy Holly track.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Indeed. Radio Luxembourg's transmitters in the 1930s and 40s were the most powerful in Europe. When the Germans invaded Luxembourg in 1940 they used them to broadcast Lord Haw Haw's propaganda gibberish to the UK.

The BBC originally tried to blacklist everyone who worked for Radio Luxembourg. Then they realised they were better DJs than the ones they had so they employed them instead. Probably half of all 1960s, 70s & 80s Radio 1 and Radio 2 DJs began their careers in Luxembourg - including Pete Murray, Simon Dee, Noel Edmonds, Mike Read, Peter Powell, Kid Jensen, Emperor Rosko, to name but a few.

Even bloody Chris Moyles started out on Radio Luxembourg, just before it closed down in 1992.

I know a great book all about Luxembourg - the perfect New Year's gift for all the family - Luxembourg (Country Guides) (Bradt Travel Guide): Amazon.co.uk: Tim Skelton: Books - and yes I, sorry, it does mention the radio station. :thumbsup:

Dark days in radio broadcasting.. I'd have put them on a boat and scuttled them

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Dark days in radio broadcasting.. I'd have put them on a boat and scuttled them

I used to enjoy Simon Dee's pre-Wogan 'Dee Time' TV chat show.

Mind you, I was only about 6 when it was on, so I think it's fair to say I was easily pleased.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Seen 'The Boat That Rocked'? This is all about Offshore Pirate radio and if you were about in the 60's you'll LOVE the tunes!

Quite an amusing film and good music,but didn't capture the essence of the late 60's really!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What a lot of people don't realise is that there was virtually no pop music available on British radio during the day in those days. Pirate radio was a godsend.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
In the early days of pirate radio, Radio Caroline (on the MV Caroline) and Radio Atlanta (on the MV Mi Amigo - both ships located off Frinton in Essex) merged. The MV Caroline sailed up to the Isle of Man to be come Radio Caroline North, while the Mi Amigo stayed put and became Radio Caroline South.

On its journey, the MV Caroline sailed past our own fair city (or Town as it was back then).

I have the book, from 1967

Attachments

• DSC01253.JPG
    DSC01253.JPG
    576.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC01254.JPG
    DSC01254.JPG
    587.9 KB · Views: 92

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Horace Batchelor wasn't a bookie. He was a guy who claimed to have cracked a way of doing the pools and invited people to send in their coupons and he'd pick their winners - "only" taking a share of the winnings.

Yes you are right, I thought that he was a bookie who had worked out a formula to beat the pools companys but wouldnt argue. I do however vividly remember the advert and the spelling of K E Y N S H A M.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I am sure that that was transmitted from Luxembourg. Dont think that they were based on a ship. They were famous for their advert for a bookies Horace Batchelor from Keynsham Bristol spelt K E Y N S H A M.

Yeah, Luxembourg was licenced there and just used an over-powered transmitter to get signals to (and serve) the UK.

They closed their English language service about the time they went 50/50 with RTE to start Atlantic 252 - totally legal Irish station that basically served the UK.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
This site is well worth a visit, lots of links to photos, audio clips etc http://www.offshoreradio.co.uk/index.html .

Radio Caroline is still broadcasting, albiet from a studio in Maidstone, on Radio Caroline . Bloody good music and lots of old jingles that Caroline fans will know and love! The last I heard the Ross Revenge was still moored up at Tilbury and still did the odd broadcast on special short term licenses.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
In the early days of pirate radio, Radio Caroline (on the MV Caroline) and Radio Atlanta (on the MV Mi Amigo - both ships located off Frinton in Essex) merged. The MV Caroline sailed up to the Isle of Man to be come Radio Caroline North, while the Mi Amigo stayed put and became Radio Caroline South.

On its journey, the MV Caroline sailed past our own fair city (or Town as it was back then).

In the mid-70s, when Radio Caroline was aboard the MV Mi Amigo, they also shared the ship with a Dutch pirate station, called Radio Mi Amigo.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This site is well worth a visit, lots of links to photos, audio clips etc http://www.offshoreradio.co.uk/index.html .

Radio Caroline is still broadcasting, albiet from a studio in Maidstone, on Radio Caroline . Bloody good music and lots of old jingles that Caroline fans will know and love! The last I heard the Ross Revenge was still moored up at Tilbury and still did the odd broadcast on special short term licenses.

There were plans at one stage to try and bring the Ross Revenge back to Grimsby so that she could be berthed next to one of her sister vessels , the Ross Tiger but funding didn't materialise because the Fishing Heritage Museum was forced to remove "National" from the beginning of its title.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
There were plans at one stage to try and bring the Ross Revenge back to Grimsby so that she could be berthed next to one of her sister vessels , the Ross Tiger but funding didn't materialise because the Fishing Heritage Museum was forced to remove "National" from the beginning of its title.

The Ross Revenge is currently berthed in Tilbury, is 50 years old in August and is being restored by the Radio Caroline Society.

Radio Caroline is 46 years old!

Radio Caroline (For info, broadcast schedules and on-line shop)

Horizon Magazine (For Pirate / Offshore Radio geeks like me)

Caroline Continues! :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here