Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Official Thread - ENGLAND v ALGERIA - 7.30pm***

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I reckon Algeria will put 11 men behind the ball and we'll be average again and draw, but then start looking good in the next game when the pressure is on to beat Slovenia.

Surely Algeria have to go for the win, bearing in mind a draw would have them bottom of the group and Slovenia already have 4 points?

I'm expecting a fairly open contest. It could get tasty if we go a couple of goals up though - I'd get Rooney and Gerrard off sharpish in case of injuries / cards, and I fancy Defoe for a goal.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sky Bet make England heavy 1/4 favourites for this one, with the draw a 5/1 shot and Algeria 10/1. They reported earlier this afternoon they were seeing the 'patriotic punt' with England supported to win the match and on the handicap with a -2 goal start.

The other two Group C teams faced off earlier, with the USA coming from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Slovenia. That means a win for England will take them top of the group on goal difference, while Algeria are looking to secure their first point(s) of the tournament after defeat by Slovenia first time out.

Confirmation of that line as we get the England team: James; Johnson, Carragher, Terry, A Cole; Lennon, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard; Heskey, Rooney.

Comment:

Algeria have two good defenders.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
My relief at Barry being back in is canceled out by that lump Carragher starting. And I really hope Capello brings Cole on for Heskey at some point.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
"Ladies and Gentleman, England will be playing 4-4-f***ing-2"

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
ALGERIA

23. Rais M'Bohli
2. Madjid Bougherra
3. Nadir Belhadj
4. Anthar Yahia
21. Foued Kadir
19. Hassan Yebda
8. Mehdi Lacen
5. Rafik Halliche
7. Ryad Boudebouz
15. Karim Ziani
13. Karim Matmour

Anthar Yahia looked a good player to me.

Last edited:

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Why has Crouch not been mentioned as an option this week? Surely this is the type of opposition he's score a hatful against!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If Algeria play five at the back, I would tend to play 4-3-3 and the England team looks like it is set up for this. I am glad James is playing for us.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
3-0 England.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
According to a channel 4 news graphic a few moments ago, Adam Johnson is playing at right back :facepalm: and they can't make their mind up who is in goal, the graphic says James the reporter says Green :facepalm:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Under the circumstances, surely two simultaneous keepers is just the prudent thing to do....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Unconvincing punch by Calamity James

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ryad Boudebouz is getting a mention

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Carragher going for the own goal :facepalm:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Currently looking 2nd best to Algeria and worse than the French last night..twats

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Really poor start, realllllly poor.

Algeria are delivering into our box at will. We don't seem to want to get to the ball first. What's going on?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Andy Townsend co-commentating. :facepalm: So now we have to listen to his 'expert' opinion throughout the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here