Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official thread: discuss the Rushden & Diamonds game HERE

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Nice one lads !

Well done to all those who travelled tonight - you were certainly heard ! I could'nt make it, but the noise you made came through on the radio - and nice to see Kitson get some stick.

Sounds like Rehman is a bit of a find - I can't wait to see the goals on SKY tonight.

Cheers

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Great result, sounded like a very good performance on the radio with everyone having a good game and Rehman sounded like an accomplished player.

Great support too. :)

Roll on Blackpool.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great performance; best of the season so far. Rehman's a bit of a find, let's keep him for a few months.

Knight's goal was good but Rehman's was something special. Best Brighton goal since the fourth (I think) against Wolves. Fantastic move with top class finish.

A shaky period where we looked like the ball was a stranger to us but the result certainly didn't flatter us.

Top night out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quiet first half with our main man Guy putting us one nil up. I would have taken the draw before the game but at one up and with our goal not having been threatened it looked like a win all the way at the half.

But with Hall and Jack looking lively, R&D started to cause problems in the second, and a penalty was awarded when a tackle from behind was adjudged to have been inside the box (was it?). The momentum shifted here and we soaked up some pressure. The FDM made a great save where he got something on the ball and hit the bar and went to safety.

Knight made it 2-1 when, wide on the left, he hit a fierce shot that beat the 'keeper at the near post. It was one of those where you assumed he'd put it in the side netting but it was not the case. It was one hell of a finish, with tremendous power on the shot. We then played some fantastic stuff which coincided with Jones getting into the game and we looked like we could bury them, but had to wait for the decisive third. Some great passing led to Rehman who, from the outside of the box, curled one that the 'keeper could only touch but not keep out.

Nice little ground that was ringing to the sound of the sizable Albion contingent for most of the game. Players looked delighted at the end, and rightly so.

I hope Harty's injury is not too bad.

Donny Osmond

Jul 6, 2003
Been back about 1/2 hour now.
Great performance, could have been more had Mcphee taken his chances. Leons finish was incredable as he shot no one believed that a goal was a possability.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Best performance i've seen this season. Everyone on the Park looked up for it and the crowd was superb aswell.

Started off with some excellent passing moves for the Albion resulting in a disallowed goal for Hart? for offside. We continued to press and though their two wingers looked busy and fast they rarely troubled the defence much. First goal was a scrap from a corner i think and Butters just put that sizeable weight behind the ball and slammed it into the net on the volley. Goalie stood no chance.

Second half we started shaky and gave the penalty away. Couldn't tell whether it was inside the area or not, but the Ref took ages to decide. FDM dived the wrong way and a whimper of joy was heard from the Rushden fans. Rushden pressed on, but we quickly gained the advantage back with a superb goal from little Leon. Can't remember how it came about all i remember is that he beat the defender went wide of the goal and then just wrapped his left foot around the ball and powered the ball past the keeper. I too thought it had initially hit the side netting, but it was an awesome strike.

The Albion then sat back a little as Rushden pushed on. Superb save from FDM and thankfully the header from Darby (think it was him) was central and not to one side of the goal. We played a little hoof it and hope for 5/10 minutes which became a little worrying, but then started to pass it out and hit them on the counter. The move for Rehman's goal was sublime and culminated in the goalie getting his finger tips to a 25 yard curler that nestled in the top right hand corner and settled the match.

Albion contigent was 1232 from what the announcer said and a marvellous noise we made. Players were rightly chuffed at the end and gave the away fans plenty of kudos for the support including the ever funnyman Bob Booker:) The fella is a legend!

Only downsides of the night were Coppell being sent to the stands, Harty's injury (looked bad) and Carpenter's Distribution.

Big pluses. Rehman looked excellent, some nice passing out from midfield, though he looked very tired at the end. McPhee ran his socks off and held the ball up well. Passing was a little erratic, but he seemed to link up well with Knight. Defence as comfortable as ever. Butters looked very solid.

Grizz

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Kuipers: outstanding save at 2-1, possibly won us the game?

Butters: gets better every game, very solid and good in the air.

Carpenter looked a little off the pace, but he did keep getting passes from the rest of the midfield when he was surrounded by opponents.

Rehman looked as though he might have that extra touch of class, definitely one to watch. Nice goal.

Knight pissed their fans off all night, don't know why they thought he should have been sent off, but lovely goal.

McPhee: looks so much more confident than in the past. Great running off the ball, and this was easily his best game for us. Unlucky not to score.

Their players were really cocky.

Goalkeeper (Greasy): When they had the penalty he ran backwards facing us fans giving it the big I am!

Rat boy (no 4?) when crosses came in he would look at us and either spit on the floor or show the fingers

Jack (No 6): Need I say more (but good player).

Rushden were the better team in the first half - we dont close down enough. We gave them too much space to play. However, after Leon's superb goal, we got our confidence up and played the best IMHO this season.:clap2:

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
edna krabappel said:

Knight pissed their fans off all night, don't know why they thought he should have been sent off, but lovely goal.

He clattered their keeper early doors (no foul given incidentally!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here