Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Hi all, how is the training going for those marathon-ing it this year?

Did a 20 miler on Monday, before 17 this weekend and 12 next weekend. How many long runs have you all been doing? As long as these last 2 go according to plan I would have done
2 x 20, 2 x 18,17, 16, 15 and a half.

I absolutely blew up last year and hobbled round in about 4:25 which was horrible, determined not to let it happen again. PB is 3:58 so really looking to better that this year, just trying to decide what pace to set out with. Did my half in 1:42 and my long runs have been between an average between 8:40 and 9:10 miles. Thinking around 8:50 for the first half and see how I feel from there?

Hi Richy,

So far ive run;

2x 28
1x 25
2x 19

Upto 70+ mile weeks and hoping to get up to 80/90mile weeks by the end of April, then taper, which includes the 3forts marathon. 53.58 miles done this week with a 20ish 08:50/08:00 mile run on the downs or maybe the seafront planned for sunday morning.. Felt really good this week coming of the back the Hastings HM.. But saying that, it almost went to pot/Jeopardised by a cheeky bottle of red on Sunday night, running is thirsty work!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I like the mileage count you've given me a boost. I was in India for January and got 2 weeks of food poisoning and only managed 70, Feb was 174 and March should finish around 170. My secret weapon is the 30 days trekking up to and out of Everest Base Camp in December. 8 hours walking every day climbing and descending and very little level ground. Shame I got the squitters in India!
Your half marathon shows you can go sub 3:45 and you have to decide what you want to go for. I want sub 3:40 but have bottled it and will go for sub 3:45. I would rather fail by 15 minutes than run round comfortably. It's why I am becoming addicted to marathons because I cannot tell the outcome.

My lack of mileage could be a real hindrance to post sub 3:30 I can't think of too many weeks where I've run above 20 miles. With a seven month old son I've only been able to have a weekend long run and a Tuesday evening 4/8 miles depending on what time I could get out of work.

Football Thursday evenings is my other exercise along with core, glutes and upper body strengthening at home ad-hoc which has helped my running hugely.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
My lack of mileage could be a real hindrance to post sub 3:30 I can't think of too many weeks where I've run above 20 miles. With a seven month old son I've only been able to have a weekend long run and a Tuesday evening 4/8 miles depending on what time I could get out of work.

Football Thursday evenings is my other exercise along with core, glutes and upper body strengthening at home ad-hoc which has helped my running hugely.

Don't kill yourself for a time bud think you weekly Milage is too short but if they have been quality run
Then u might be ok. Why not run a negative spit race 8.15's to half way then pick up the pace?.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

As long as most your miles have been quality miles then I wouldn't beat yourself up about it.. I don't think I've ever gone into a race fully satisfied with the amount of miles, the quality of my etc etc.. I've always thought I should of done more... But more often than the run is fine etc.. Yeah as written above, start of steady then if your feeling good,kick on..

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
On way to Parkrun this morning saw that the marathon road closure signs have gone up on New Church Road. Almost there!
Enjoyed being overtaken by a pair of Bobkins in Hove Park. One happily running along and the other happily looking out of the Buggy. The knee seizure from Hastings has been cured thanks to my miracle sports injury man.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just got back from running round the Moon Palace resort in Cancun umpteen times to get my mileage up with 17 miles completed in 2 hrs 23 average pace 8:25 which is just under a minute slower than my Brighton pace. 22 degrees at 4:45 am and when the sun rose at 6:30 that's when things got tough.

Happy with that final long run as 8 minutes longer on my feet than previous 17.5 mile run 2 weeks ago.

Last year I managed 20 miles x2 and 18 miles x2 this year I've only managed 17 miles x2 and 17.5 x1.

Taper down now with a 12 mile Good Friday and then some smaller hove seafront runs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
People. that wind is EVIL. especially if you're running on Hove seafront. No chance of a PB today having run a 29.55 first 5k to save energy for the home leg in to the wind. Didn't last long on the seafront, heading in to town (preferring up hills to into wind) but still managed a 1.01.35 10k which was three and a half slower than last week but four mins up on the first attempt. Only the pros and the crazies were on the seafront at 8.30 this morning. I'm the latter.

Got a Fartlek (stop it) session on Tuesday then tapering.

Not sure if the BM10k will have pacers or how many. Ideally there will be a 55 min one I can try to stay with and see if I can pull a sprint finish, Unless the weather's like today in which case Mr 1 Hour will be my best friend.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
People. that wind is EVIL. especially if you're running on Hove seafront. No chance of a PB today having run a 29.55 first 5k to save energy for the home leg in to the wind. Didn't last long on the seafront, heading in to town (preferring up hills to into wind) but still managed a 1.01.35 10k which was three and a half slower than last week but four mins up on the first attempt. Only the pros and the crazies were on the seafront at 8.30 this morning. I'm the latter.

Well played. Having looked at the forecast...

Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 13.52.20.png

...and as very few of my runs have been morning ones, I'll be heading out around 8pm tonight I think. Going to see if I can get round the same 10 miles as I did last Sunday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well played. Having looked at the forecast...

View attachment 64233

...and as very few of my runs have been morning ones, I'll be heading out around 8pm tonight I think. Going to see if I can get round the same 10 miles as I did last Sunday.

Seems a good time to do it. I set out at just before 8.30 as I'll be doing the same in a couple of weeks and was testing my fuelling up (two slices of wholemeal toast, one coffee, half pint of water was perfect). Really hope the weather is much better then, not so much for the 10k but for a good marathon for everyone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have also noticed that Runkeeper's GPS is a little inconsistent over my 5k course.

GPS isn't accurate in general. The coverage is affected by trees, buildings and as you're measured between points if you twist and turn a lot, or there's a lot of height variation, this really affects things. I ran a cross country half-marathon last year over quite severe undulating twisty turny terrain and my watch was half a mile out. If I run the flat straight very open Airport run it's almost spot on. Major races are still measured the old way with a wheel I believe.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
17 miles today in just under three hours so that's the last long run out the way. Very windy up here too but for once I had the wind behind me on the way back!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Seems a good time to do it. I set out at just before 8.30 as I'll be doing the same in a couple of weeks and was testing my fuelling up (two slices of wholemeal toast, one coffee, half pint of water was perfect). Really hope the weather is much better then, not so much for the 10k but for a good marathon for everyone.

I set out at 1:15 from HoveLagoon to Worthing Pier. It was the happiest I have ever been to be in Worthing. Great 8 mile run home at faster than planned marathon pace and not too much effort. Shattered now.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I set out at 1:15 from HoveLagoon to Worthing Pier. It was the happiest I have ever been to be in Worthing. Great 8 mile run home at faster than planned marathon pace and not too much effort. Shattered now.

Wow 8 miles of that wind.. good work. Prob past you at some point as was running between shoreham and worthing and back at that time.. i went from a 6:30/40 to a 9:50 pace into the wind.. But i only did 4 miles into the wind, so hat of to you!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Wow 8 miles of that wind.. good work. Prob past you at some point as was running between shoreham and worthing and back at that time.. i went from a 6:30/40 to a 9:50 pace into the wind.. But i only did 4 miles into the wind, so hat of to you!

I was in the bright yellow jacket and a beanie hat. Ring a bell? I cross the Shoreham footbridge and run past Widewater Lagoon I was more 10:30 to 8:15 and feel more tired than after Hastings last week. Just about to open last bottle of red before the marathon.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
On way to Parkrun this morning saw that the marathon road closure signs have gone up on New Church Road. Almost there!
Enjoyed being overtaken by a pair of Bobkins in Hove Park. One happily running along and the other happily looking out of the Buggy. The knee seizure from Hastings has been cured thanks to my miracle sports injury man.
She loved it - finished in a respectable sub-25 time.

Today was all about avoiding the wind. Ran along A27 to Lancing Impulse and then down to bandstand on the seafront, then back to Shoreham-by-Sea with the wind behind.

Phone conked it just before 10 miles and the end - the difference no marathon to train for makes!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I was in the bright yellow jacket and a beanie hat. Ring a bell? I cross the Shoreham footbridge and run past Widewater Lagoon I was more 10:30 to 8:15 and feel more tired than after Hastings last week. Just about to open last bottle of red before the marathon.

Yeah does ring a bell, past just before Widewater! I had orange top and my snood rolled over up over my mouth/nose and cap on backwards to try not loose it as the wind was whipping into my face, must of looked a right site! Hope you got to the pier before the rain really started, wouldnt of liked to run into that. Anyways, enjoy the wine and goodluck for the marathon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here