Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Keep it up man, running is without doubt the quickest way of getting fit and seeing improvement. You'll be running 5km within a month or so! I just went out for my first run in a few weeks as I had a cough, made a big mistake of just wearing shorts...think I got frostbite in the old boy! Running tights are great, keep your muscles warm and stop chaffing too...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Right, I went on 2nd run this evening! My aim was to go a little further and a little quicker which I achieved. I noticed that runners go by km even though marathons are done by miles so I am changing my lingo! 1.6 miles is effectively 2.5km or there about a so I set a target of 2.75km. I ran this distance quicker than I did the 2.5km and along the way recorded my fastest mile which is hugely encouraging for me. Some observations...
My recovery time was A LOT quicker than Tuesday, literally returned to normal breathing in about 10 mins as opposed to 30-40 mins last time which is good!
My legs, although still sore from the last run, ache nowhere near as much as they did last time!
One thing that struck me almost as soon as I set off/felt a little out if breath was f***, why am I doing this, I've got to go further and quicker than last time! The urge to turn round and go home was almost 500% greater than the first time. Am I tryin to do to much too quick? Feel fine now, a little spaced out but ok. This thread is brilliant for newbies and all advice and encouragement is fully appreciated!

It can sometimes take me a mile or more to feel comfortable on a run, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The most important thing is that you got out there again, so well done. Glad to hear the recovery time has come down.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Good stuff. Personally I find the hardest part between 1 and 2 miles when the old body realises what's happening and adjusts. After 20 mins though I just get into a rhythm and its fine.

Talking of Shoreham Beach earlier, that's a great half marathon to Goring and back. Apart from a good path all the way along, you don't need to take water with you as the public toilets are open next to Worthing Pier so you can take a pit-stop there after 4 and then 8 miles on the way back. Only trouble is that it's bloody freezing at this time of year.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
did 4.4 miles today in 34.25 which i was happy with however my knee started hurting again this evening so bit worried that something is wrong, whether it's trainers, running style or doing too much i'm not sure

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
did 4.4 miles today in 34.25 which i was happy with however my knee started hurting again this evening so bit worried that something is wrong, whether it's trainers, running style or doing too much i'm not sure

What sort of pain is it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good stuff. Personally I find the hardest part between 1 and 2 miles when the old body realises what's happening and adjusts. After 20 mins though I just get into a rhythm and its fine.

Talking of Shoreham Beach earlier, that's a great half marathon to Goring and back. Apart from a good path all the way along, you don't need to take water with you as the public toilets are open next to Worthing Pier so you can take a pit-stop there after 4 and then 8 miles on the way back. Only trouble is that it's bloody freezing at this time of year.

Totally agree about the first mile or so. It takes me a few miles to get into my groove and I'm fine.

I woke up early today and decided to do a cheeky 4 miler across Berlin in the snow which I must say was utterly glorious and a fine way to start a Friday.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
And now you've got that fantastic sense of wellbeing for the rest of the day. Nice.

Totally agree about the first mile or so. It takes me a few miles to get into my groove and I'm fine.

I woke up early today and decided to do a cheeky 4 miler across Berlin in the snow which I must say was utterly glorious and a fine way to start a Friday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I normally head east from Shoreham-by-Sea, but am contemplating mixing it up a bit and heading beyond Worthing – I've cycled there, but never run in that direction. Probably quite nice as long as you don't get caught up with the dog walkers and cyclists.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Doing my first parkrun tomorrow which is a good excuse to avoid the pub this evening.

- - - Updated - - -

Doing my first parkrun tomorrow which is a good excuse to avoid the pub this evening.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
For beginners, ParkRun is just awesome. One to start in Preston Park soon too.
As its so cold you NEED to wear man-tights. They feel sexy as you put them on and they keep you incredibly warm. Win-win.
Great to hear you start running. It feels so good after a run.
As for boredom, it seems I'm on my own here. I work bloody long hours and have a young family so it's just great to have a few hours of me-time and get away from it all. Boredom is never a problem.
Keep it up. Well done.

You're not the only one; I never get bored on long runs. For my long easy runs it's a great time to go through stuff that's on your mind without interuption. And when doing an interval training run, the variety of pace and recovery keeps me going despite getting knackered.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What does everyone listen to on their runs?

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Completed my fourth 5k run on a treadmill last night, again in 25 minutes. Was struggling around the 3k mark, but then a chap with a similar ability started running next to me, and it really gave me a push. I've been told it is easier to run in competitive races, such as Park Run, rather than on a treadmill and I can now see how running "against" other people would help.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Advice please. I've just started running again since the new year, coinciding with a dry January, i'm losing weight and running further and faster. Tonight i'm going out for my first drink of the year and it's bound to turn messy.

Tomorrow, would you go for a gentle jog? or leave it a day and let all the shit get out of your system?

Cheers.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Completed my fourth 5k run on a treadmill last night, again in 25 minutes. Was struggling around the 3k mark, but then a chap with a similar ability started running next to me, and it really gave me a push. I've been told it is easier to run in competitive races, such as Park Run, rather than on a treadmill and I can now see how running "against" other people would help.

Much, much easier in fact. I tend to find someone who is just a bit quicker than me and take my pace off them so I don't end up drifting along. I only really use the bikes and the rower at the gym as the treadmill is a snoozefest.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
If you get bored of the treadmill try this: one minute intervals alternating between 12 and 17kph for ten intervals each, then 5k at a 10% incline (bring this down if you start struggling, but make sure you do the 5k), then 1k as fast as you can.

There is going to be a Parkrun in Preston Park soon :)

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Advice please. I've just started running again since the new year, coinciding with a dry January, i'm losing weight and running further and faster. Tonight i'm going out for my first drink of the year and it's bound to turn messy.

Tomorrow, would you go for a gentle jog? or leave it a day and let all the shit get out of your system?

Cheers.

I'd definitely run. I do my long run for training on a Sunday and find it quite a good hangover cure. I may be weird however.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
I'd definitely run. I do my long run for training on a Sunday and find it quite a good hangover cure. I may be weird however.

Me too. I tend to feel shame at what I've done to myself and so push it a bit more to make up.

Music ? I tend to listen to the News Quiz podcast first and then trance or D&B.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here