Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Nice improvement, have you got a aim or goal for your running? Or just to keep fit and keep the weight off?

Thanks for the encouragement :)

It's to stay fit and keep the weight off, and a big thing for me is the release of the seratonin and endorphins :)

Natural 'happy' substances that make you feel 'epic' :lolol:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Yeah, I'm just gonna rest it.

It's annoying as I've been losing a fair bit of weight, perhaps a strict diet to maintain the weight loss is in order until I can run again!

Hi, you might benefit from some coaching with regard to your gait and running style.

My knees were trashed and i couldn't run for more than an hour without them hurting.

After trying a ton of different trainers, I switched to a barefoot running style which improved my form and subsequently I can now run longer distances (like a marathon :wink:)

I still wear "normal" trainers, but just have a different running style.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Blimey, that seems a little harsh! But I suppose the clue is in the "emergency".

Glad I'm only doing a half marathon and am currently tapering down - did my last long run at the weekend, an hour and 3/4 run in which I covered 12.8 miles so I'm confident about going the distance - just need to rest my legs and shift the tail end of my cold and I should be on for a decent time :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hi, you might benefit from some coaching with regard to your gait and running style.

My knees were trashed and i couldn't run for more than an hour without them hurting.

After trying a ton of different trainers, I switched to a barefoot running style which improved my form and subsequently I can now run longer distances (like a marathon :wink:)

I still wear "normal" trainers, but just have a different running style.

Absolutely 100% this. 'Form over footwear'

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Blimey, that seems a little harsh! But I suppose the clue is in the "emergency".

Glad I'm only doing a half marathon and am currently tapering down - did my last long run at the weekend, an hour and 3/4 run in which I covered 12.8 miles so I'm confident about going the distance - just need to rest my legs and shift the tail end of my cold and I should be on for a decent time :)

I think it's full on as in effect there's no taper.

Good luck with the half!!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
I think it's full on as in effect there's no taper.

Good luck with the half!!

Ta, very much. I'm entered in the Surrey Half in just over a weeks time so the taper is in full effect now. I had a half hour run today split evenly easy-hard-easy in which I averaged sub-7 minute miles for the first time, and just have an hours run this weekend and a couple of 20 minute easy runs to go next week. Its nice to be able to relax before the big day.

Once that is out of the way, I'm going to have a serious crack at going sub-20 minutes for 5k before Junior Orange #2 arrives, which will be a challenge as my pb currently stands at 22:14 and the baby is due in June.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ta, very much. I'm entered in the Surrey Half in just over a weeks time so the taper is in full effect now. I had a half hour run today split evenly easy-hard-easy in which I averaged sub-7 minute miles for the first time, and just have an hours run this weekend and a couple of 20 minute easy runs to go next week. Its nice to be able to relax before the big day.

Once that is out of the way, I'm going to have a serious crack at going sub-20 minutes for 5k before Junior Orange #2 arrives, which will be a challenge as my pb currently stands at 22:14 and the baby is due in June.

Good luck with the sub-20 and the baby.

I got down to 20:54 last year, but am currently back up, hovering just above 22 minutes. Not sure how I've gone backwards, but I am very keen to get down to under 21 mins, let alone sub-20… If anyone has any tips, let me know.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003

I got down to 20:54 last year, but am currently back up, hovering just above 22 minutes. Not sure how I've gone backwards, but I am very keen to get down to under 21 mins, let alone sub-20… If anyone has any tips, let me know.

Run faster :p

I think training for the half has already helped increase my speed over the shorter distance - I would have done the 5k in about 21:35 at the pace I was running today, and I think that has a lot to do with training to do negative splits and including the odd HIIT session into the the schedule.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Run faster :p

Or harness the wind.
Trying to do marathon race pace on the seafront just now for 9 miles was nigh impossible. Holding back from fast 5k going west with the wind and turn round at the Marina to be hit by the b******. Managed to get the final average pace on target but would like a day of calm for a chage. Maybe Sunday's long run? Maybe April 6th?

A strong SW wind would benefit a Hove Park 5k as you get the lift up the hill and run back into it down hill and in the lea of the little hill to the west of the park. But, of course, that's cheating..... I got my fastest post 45 years pb 5k when they held one on Hove seafront for Paddle round the pier day. Lovely and flat!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk

I got down to sub 19 last year by adding 2 speed sessions into my weekly training sessions fast 1k with 1.5 min recovery x 5 and over 2 weeks reduce the recovery to 30sec. Pace should be 3min 40 max.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I have my second half marathon coming up on Sunday.

I'm still a bit of a slow paced porker but, having done the Bristol Half in 2hrs 10m last year, I'm hoping to break the 2hr barrier in the Bath Half.

I optimistically entered the Edinburgh full marathon too (late May), although I hope to follow a proper training plan for that bad boy. Fitness doesn't appear to be an issue but nursing the knees around more so. I finally got around to having my gait analysed a few weeks ago and the new runners seem to be making a positive difference.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Managed 17 and half miles yesterday in just under 2 and half hours. Reducing distance slightly next week before hitting the big 20 before taper. Still hoping for a sub 4 hour!

One thing I have noticed this year is that when I am really pushing it I'm starting to feel a bit nauseous, in the half this year I upped my pace slightly to finish in 1:46 but was very nearly sick in last mile. Never had the problem before, but worried it's going to get in the way as I tire in the full.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Managed 17 and half miles yesterday in just under 2 and half hours. Reducing distance slightly next week before hitting the big 20 before taper. Still hoping for a sub 4 hour!

One thing I have noticed this year is that when I am really pushing it I'm starting to feel a bit nauseous, in the half this year I upped my pace slightly to finish in 1:46 but was very nearly sick in last mile. Never had the problem before, but worried it's going to get in the way as I tire in the full.

I've read that you generally get that reaction when you are really pushing yourself - its happened to me a couple of times doing Park Run, get over the line and retch!

I'm into the taper for my half marathon now - just one 20 minute run left on the schedule, having done one that started with me being hailed upon today, and then its the big day. I'd be well chuffed if I got near your time for the half.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I got down to sub 19 last year by adding 2 speed sessions into my weekly training sessions fast 1k with 1.5 min recovery x 5 and over 2 weeks reduce the recovery to 30sec. Pace should be 3min 40 max.

Out of interest; what sort of time were you starting from and how long did it take to get down to sub-19?

I started doing some park runs towards the end of last year, my first was around 20:45, then next 20:25 and then my third was 19:40 which is my current PB. I've done a few more since then but have kind of stalled with times coming in just under 20 minutes. I'd like to give myself something to target so sub-19 seems like the logical option, but I was just wondering how feasible it was. That said I'm really not doing much running specific training, I'm more focused on swimming and cycling atm.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I've read that you generally get that reaction when you are really pushing yourself - its happened to me a couple of times doing Park Run, get over the line and retch!

I'm into the taper for my half marathon now - just one 20 minute run left on the schedule, having done one that started with me being hailed upon today, and then its the big day. I'd be well chuffed if I got near your time for the half.

Come on, with a 21'35 5k you should be disappointed with a 1'46 half CO!

Sub 1'40 for you my boy! What pace are you planning to run at on the big day? 7.45 min miles and which half is it?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Come on, with a 21'35 5k you should be disappointed with a 1'46 half CO!

Sub 1'40 for you my boy! What pace are you planning to run at on the big day? 7.45 min miles and which half is it?

Strictly speaking I don't have a 21'35 5k though :p 22'14 is my timed PB.

I'm running the Surrey Half Marathon, I'll probably start at about 8 minute miles for the first couple of miles while I'm warming up and get quicker as the race progresses, my 'race pace' appears to be about 7'30 but I doubt I'll hit that until about half way. With any luck I'll have enough in the tank and a bit of an adrenaline hit to kick as the finish looms.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

I'm running the Surrey Half Marathon, I'll probably start at about 8 minute miles for the first couple of miles while I'm warming up and get quicker as the race progresses, my 'race pace' appears to be about 7'30 but I doubt I'll hit that until about half way. With any luck I'll have enough in the tank and a bit of an adrenaline hit to kick as the finish looms.

Sounds like you are well prepared. Best of luck with it! Let us know how you get on.

I've done the Surrey Slog (not PB country), but not Surrey half.

I'm gunning for Paddock Wood on 30th March. Supposed to be another fast, flat course.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

You should go sub 1 hour 45 with your 5k time and 'race pace' I completed the Brighton Half Marathon in just under 1 hour 44 and that was with very consistent splits, from memory I never went quicker than 7:50 apart from the final mile and every mile bar the 3rd was under 8 minutes. Your 5k time is marginally better than my PB of 22:40 and my 10k PB is 48:48 which I think I can definitely improve when I look at my Half Marathon time.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Completed 20 miles today using a new route Hove to Worthing. Tough going and I think I'm going to need to see a sports physiotherapist as the outside of my left knee has become painful around mile 12 on my last two long runs. I can feel my running technique faltering in the second half as I'm carrying a useless limb and over compensating.

Took me 2 hours and 56 minutes so definitely on track for sub 4 hours as long as my body holds up.

Here are the run details http://connect.garmin.com/splits/455043618

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here