Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very happy with 21:48 at Peacehaven this morning only 4 secs off PB. Haven't run for a couple of weeks since crowborough, nursing sore knees and ankle, but no ill effects today. My house was burgled on Wednesday and a quick run was just the job to expend some anger and frustration. Now just to get my Xmas head on for the kids sake (and re-purchase the new still packaged running gear that was taken).

Sorry to hear about the burglary.....****s.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
The half marathon training started this morning. Only 70 days to go!

If anyone can’t make their Brighton Half place for any reason - let me know!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
So a totally new experiance for me this weekend. On Saturday I did my first ever Ultra marathon. Its was down at Samphire Hoe near Dover for the Saxons, Vikings and Normans "Usual Suspects" running weekend. The course is 3.75 miles, half trail and half seafront path with a couple of "nice" up hill parts. You can do as many laps as you want and you have to start your final lap before the 6 hours are up. I was down there (and missing the Burnley game!) as one of my mates was running her 100th marathon, an amazing achievement. I managed my target which was 8 laps - 30 miles in 5.53 (strava looks to have taken out the standing around eating/drinking between laps). I loved it, stopping every 3.75 for goodies (cake, peanuts, jelly babies, crisps and drinks) and to get your lap card stamped. The fellow runners where amazingly supporting and encouraging and I can honestly say the most I have ever enjoy an event. There are some realy dedicated runners who regularly do SVN events, one girl was doing her 300th that day, one we got talking talking to later that night in the hotel bar was on 535! Our group of 4 was a real mix, my first ultra, Glynne doing her first ever marathon (did it in 5.10 I think), Lynda doing her 100th and Jacqui her 102nd! I fely great after 26.2 miles, ok after the 30 miles apart from rubbing a blister. So I will definitely look at some longer events in the future. What is wrong with me :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1316132383

SVN run.jpg

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So a totally new experiance for me this weekend. On Saturday I did my first ever Ultra marathon. Its was down at Samphire Hoe near Dover for the Saxons, Vikings and Normans "Usual Suspects" running weekend. The course is 3.75 miles, half trail and half seafront path with a couple of "nice" up hill parts. You can do as many laps as you want and you have to start your final lap before the 6 hours are up. I was down there (and missing the Burnley game!) as one of my mates was running her 100th marathon, an amazing achievement. I managed my target which was 8 laps - 30 miles in 5.53 (strava looks to have taken out the standing around eating/drinking between laps). I loved it, stopping every 3.75 for goodies (cake, peanuts, jelly babies, crisps and drinks) and to get your lap card stamped. The fellow runners where amazingly supporting and encouraging and I can honestly say the most I have ever enjoy an event. There are some realy dedicated runners who regularly do SVN events, one girl was doing her 300th that day, one we got talking talking to later that night in the hotel bar was on 535! Our group of 4 was a real mix, my first ultra, Glynne doing her first ever marathon (did it in 5.10 I think), Lynda doing her 100th and Jacqui her 102nd! I fely great after 26.2 miles, ok after the 30 miles apart from rubbing a blister. So I will definitely look at some longer events in the future. What is wrong with me :)

View attachment 92070

Well done Mark! Looking trim there mate.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Brilliant- well done @mr blobby - what a year you have had! How on Earth are you going to top that in 2018?!

I have loved my running this year, found it really enjoyable. My main challenge nex year will be 3 marathons in 6 weeks (Brighton, London and Edinburgh). I may look at another Ultra later in the year as enjoyed Saturday so much. I will as usual look to beat my current PBs 48.54 10k, 1.23.34 10 miles, 1.53.18 HM and 4.28.36 Marathon. I am also looking to try and get better at park run.

Also would be good to do the relay event again next year with fellow NSC runners, that was good fun. This page has also been a source of inspiration and motivation! Long may it continue.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

View attachment 92070

Blimey, that's awesome and yes, you're looking very trim! A mate was down there too – said it was a great event. Many congratulations on the 30 miles/8 laps. A great performance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

View attachment 92070

Great stuff ! Traviss is a legend...........only hear good things about his events. If you liked that, worth looking at Phoenix Running as well - Rik Vercoe does similar events in Surrey on the Thames. See the same old faces running at all of them (hence those on several hundred marathons)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
To quote the others, looking good @Mr Blobby.

I'm going to train this week and then use saturday's parkrun as a warm up for Christmas Day's straightout PB attack! It's entirely probably I'll then have a nice nap on a bench in the park.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Great work as always, Mark. I've just signed up to Edinburgh for my first ever marathon. I'm a bit daunted by the prospect but also looking forward to getting my main running ambition ticked off by May. Any tips on where to stay?

Morning, going with 2 mates who are doing the HM on the same day. We have booked an Air BNB appartment, so didnt look at any hotels etc. If you get stuck let me know. I fly up Friday and back on the BH Monday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have loved my running this year, found it really enjoyable. My main challenge nex year will be 3 marathons in 6 weeks (Brighton, London and Edinburgh). I may look at another Ultra later in the year as enjoyed Saturday so much. I will as usual look to beat my current PBs 48.54 10k, 1.23.34 10 miles, 1.53.18 HM and 4.28.36 Marathon. I am also looking to try and get better at park run.

Also would be good to do the relay event again next year with fellow NSC runners, that was good fun. This page has also been a source of inspiration and motivation! Long may it continue.

Excellent work, you nutter :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Getting back into the running grove at the moment for my assault on the Stockholm and Berlin marathons in 2018. Did 8 miles at 0 degrees at 05:30 this morning to shake off the goose and beers from last night.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great work as always, Mark. I've just signed up to Edinburgh for my first ever marathon. I'm a bit daunted by the prospect but also looking forward to getting my main running ambition ticked off by May. Any tips on where to stay?

I've done Edinburgh a couple of times........loads of places to stay so shouldn't be a problem (book early though, will be busy), try to stay fairly central in the City as the start is at the far end of Princes Street (Calton Hill).

Course is good for a time (my PB is still from there) - mostly flat and fast (actually net downhill) but a bit boring to be honest - trundles through a few villages but not much to see. Doesn't go through the city at all - starts on the edge and runs away from it, along the coast, round the grounds of a stately home and then back again (so you get to see all the faster runners running back towards you for 10 miles). If it's windy it's awkward being right on the coast. Nice finish galloping down the final furlongs at the racecourse in front of the crowds (several miles away from Edinburgh). They really should call it the 'Leith Coastal Marathon' or something.

The finish area, and travel from it back to the City is usually pretty shambolic. Hordes of people with not much organisation, then a long walk to get a shuttle bus, then a massive queue. If you can, try to jump on a normal local bus instead - several stops nearby. Give me a shout if any questions - I'm up there once a month, daughter studied in Edinburgh and still lives nearby and I've got staff up there so easy access to info if needed.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks, that’s very kind, I’ll take you up on that in the new year when I get a bit closer.

I was back at Worthing this morning for the first time in about six weeks and got a new PB of 20:34. 35 seconds is still a lot to find but I’m hopeful I can have a crack at it fairly early in 2018.

Impressive improvement this year. You're destined for sub 20! I sensed when we ran at Bevendean it was my one and only chance to get in front of you.....

Now we need to politely ask @Ninja Elephant to update (and find!) the table. Only 12 days left before all 2017 Parkrun SBs are erased and we use the 2018 times.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Runners... I haven't been running in a while, but I have found a barrier to getting back into it. I've always used Asics shoes, I'm quite flat-footed, size 13 and, to top things off, have wide feet. The Asics GT2000 series (and predecessors) have been brilliant for years. Asics now seem to have changed their sizing to a more skinny-fit, and I'm really struggling to find sub £100 shoes (for a wide fit, size 13, overpronator) that actually fit.

Any suggestions?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Runners... I haven't been running in a while, but I have found a barrier to getting back into it. I've always used Asics shoes, I'm quite flat-footed, size 13 and, to top things off, have wide feet. The Asics GT2000 series (and predecessors) have been brilliant for years. Asics now seem to have changed their sizing to a more skinny-fit, and I'm really struggling to find sub £100 shoes (for a wide fit, size 13, overpronator) that actually fit.

Any suggestions?

Worth having a look at at Brooks GTS Adrenaline - I used them for years, also have wide feet and am a bit flat-footed (have since moved mainly to using Hokas - really comfy if you want a change of shoe, Clifton 3 also comes in a wide fitting). The GTS shoes go up to size 14, and are available in wide and extra-wide fittings and are designed for overpronators. You won't get the new model 18s for under £100 but hunting around online might get you an earlier model for less.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_gb/brooks-adrenaline-gts-18-mens-running-shoes/110271.html

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A 4 miler today after 7-8 weeks off since my last run at the NSC Bevendean Challenge. It wasn't easy but enjoyed being by the seaside. Not aided by a 20 hour trip home yesterday giving jet lag, a hangover and a huge full English swishing about in my gut.

Plan to do shortish runs at 8-10 minute miles daily over next few weeks and get back into the swing of things. Running over the hill from Arundel Castle to Houghton return tomorrow.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Any suggestions?

My last three or four pairs of Asics have come from the outlet store at Gunwharf in Portsmouth. They tend to have a lot of old (previous year's) stock, so you might be able to pick some up there (or another outlet store that might be closer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here