Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am the same. Everything I read suggests treadmill running is easier than roads/pavements due to terrain etc but I am much quicker outside. I start to worry about my form when I see my treadmill pace, but then smash it when outside

Same here. I think it is because I can get a much bigger stride outdoors and am more motivated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
During the week around 7 hours, at the weekend, 8-9. That's not something that's really changed, although it is hard sleeping in such humidity and I wake up several times. Thing is, it's never been an issue in six years running fairly consistently. It felt like the effort in running four days straight with 5-6 miles was what did it. I was really taken aback by how worn out I felt.

13-14 hours a day, eh? I now have a basis to argue my case for longer lie-ins. :)

So this is a one off? If so, and in a few weeks, I would have another go at 4 days of 5-6 miles and see how you feel then. If it always happens then you have an issue which needs addressing and it could be a number of causes. But, it might just be one of those 'inexplicable' lows which hit us all for no obvious reason. I have periods where runs I can easily do one day are a grind the next, or I feel washed out having done a distance I know I can easily do.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
So this is a one off? If so, and in a few weeks, I would have another go at 4 days of 5-6 miles and see how you feel then. If it always happens then you have an issue which needs addressing and it could be a number of causes. But, it might just be one of those 'inexplicable' lows which hit us all for no obvious reason. I have periods where runs I can easily do one day are a grind the next, or I feel washed out having done a distance I know I can easily do.

Thanks for the feedback. It was the first time exercising has worn me out mentally, but also the first time I've run 5-6 miles four days straight. I've always run every other day which has seen me good for in the past. I don't want to overdo it for the sake of it as my times are generally OK , but I also want to see how much stronger I can get.

I'll give it another try in a couple of weeks and see how we go.

cyrilthesinik

Oct 15, 2011
I got this a couple of times when started running, I went from doing 10k in the gym to 10-12 miles on the road straight away with no build up. I did a bit of research and found Maxi-fuel Recovery Max helped a lot. It's a protein drink which I drink within 20 mins of finishing my run. Also on the run I now have a couple of High5 Energy Gels. Both these helped a lot with that bombed out feeling. There are plenty of these recovery type drinks out there with a lot of different flavours.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Has anyone tried the barefoot/ minimalist running thing? How did you get on?

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
This may have been covered within these 56 pages, but I'm not about TRAWL through, and besides, new information may have arisen. :) Anyway, running gear. I've always run in knee length beach shorts (I guess that what they are - they were a present) and whatever football shirt is to hand. The shorts especially can't be conducive to maximum performances, covering most of my legs, keeping heat in, chafing a bit after so many miles. And I'm starting to think sleeves are a similar hindrance. Before I start WADING thorough online shops and going to the Shizuoka equivalent of SPORTS DIRECT I thought I'd canvas opinion. Personal recommendations go a long way with such things, so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated when it comes to superior running goods. Ta!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This may have been covered within these 56 pages, but I'm not about TRAWL through, and besides, new information may have arisen. :) Anyway, running gear. I've always run in knee length beach shorts (I guess that what they are - they were a present) and whatever football shirt is to hand. The shorts especially can't be conducive to maximum performances, covering most of my legs, keeping heat in, chafing a bit after so many miles. And I'm starting to think sleeves are a similar hindrance. Before I start WADING thorough online shops and going to the Shizuoka equivalent of SPORTS DIRECT I thought I'd canvas opinion. Personal recommendations go a long way with such things, so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated when it comes to superior running goods. Ta!

I advise getting proper gear especially if you start to run longer distances. When I started out I used what I had at home at the time which was a pair of nylon shorts, briefs and any old t-shirt. I remember doing a long run in the rain and it was awful; all my clothes held the rain and my cotton t-shirt ended up about a foot longer as it held so much water. The chaffing was grim as well.

These days I have proper kit: adidas shorts with netting to keep my bits in place (one less item to wash as well), an adidas top and some running socks. So, just three items which are all made of the appropriate lightweight technical material and are not overly expensive. I have two of each which is useful for washing and drying when I'm running every day. You asked about sleeves, my tops have sleeves (short) and it's not an issue for me; the material my tops are made of is very light.

In summary its a very worthwhile investment if you run regularly and doesn't have to be too expensive. Adidas climacool is my choice.

Last edited:

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I did the Red Bull 400 on saturday - it was really steep. Steeper than I thought by a long way..

[video]http://www.redbull.at/cs/Satellite/de_AT/Video/Red-Bull-400--Das-Video-vom-Kulm-021243248268746[/video]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I did the Red Bull 400 on saturday - it was really steep. Steeper than I thought by a long way..

[video]http://www.redbull.at/cs/Satellite/de_AT/Video/Red-Bull-400--Das-Video-vom-Kulm-021243248268746[/video]

Blimey, forget that! I quite like hill running but that is mental...

How long did it take you? And exactly how steep was it?

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I advise getting proper gear especially if you start to run longer distances. When I started out I used what I had at home at the time which was a pair of nylon shorts, briefs and any old t-shirt. I remember doing a long run in the rain and it was awful; all my clothes held the rain and my cotton t-shirt ended up about a foot longer as it held so much water. The chaffing was grim as well.

These days I have proper kit: adidas shorts with netting to keep my bits in place (one less item to wash as well), an adidas top and some running socks. So, just three items which are all made of the appropriate lightweight technical material and are not overly expensive. I have two of each which is useful for washing and drying when I'm running every day. You asked about sleeves, my tops have sleeves (short) and it's not an issue for me; the material my tops are made of is very light.

In summary its a very worthwhile investment if you run regularly and doesn't have to be too expensive. Adidas climacool is my choice.

Thanks for the reply. :) I'm going to get me some new gear after payday. I'm a fairly new runner (when it comes to joining events, anyway), but have done a couple of half marathons. I always look the rank amateur crossing the line surrounded by runners in proper shorts and shirts. I've been getting OK times I guess, so it's time to do it properly. I'll get down the sports shop and check out some Climacool and similar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A short message to say RUN on Blatchington Rd, Hove, is excellent. Lovely shop and knowledgeable guys.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Haven't run for over 10 weeks now due to a sprained ankle, and am missing it no end :down:

When it's healed fully, I will try to get back to the four 5k's a week I was doing :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here