Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Update: thanks for all the advice - I have now secured my place in the Brighton marathon 2017 :) Even better, I'm running for REMF thanks to Brett, Mike & Gareth - thanks [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]

Absolutely buzzing but scared too. I won't be taking this lightly & know I have to train hard! Will be up to 15 miles by Xmas I hope - have a half in 4 weeks so should be!

Thanks for reading - buzzing :clap2:

The REMF will support you Sheebo. Link your justgiving page. Good luck

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Update: thanks for all the advice - I have now secured my place in the Brighton marathon 2017 :) Even better, I'm running for REMF thanks to Brett, Mike & Gareth - thanks [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]

Absolutely buzzing but scared too. I won't be taking this lightly & know I have to train hard! Will be up to 15 miles by Xmas I hope - have a half in 4 weeks so should be!

Thanks for reading - buzzing :clap2:

Mate that's brilliant. I am (again) too. I think that officially makes you a team mate. If you need any advice I'm the expert on how not to do it :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
LOL, just don't get into any debates in any ultrarunning groups about what qualifies as an ultra [emoji23][emoji23] Not overly keen on the Darkstar myself - if it's wet, the course is just awful - so muddy, almost unrunnable in large parts. Other 'just over' options locally - Three Forts in May (27.2, starts at Hill Barn rec) and the Arun River run (28.2, Littlehampton Marina)

Oh Jeez, I know better than to do that. Some of those guys take it VERY seriously. I might start with a 'just over' and then see what happens in the future.

Maybe we could extend that route of the NSC Marathon to an ultra... :lol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh Jeez, I know better than to do that. Some of those guys take it VERY seriously. I might start with a 'just over' and then see what happens in the future.

Maybe we could extend that route of the NSC Marathon to an ultra... [emoji38]
One lap around the ground would do it 😂😂

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The REMF will support you Sheebo. Link your justgiving page. Good luck

Mate that's brilliant. I am (again) too. I think that officially makes you a team mate. If you need any advice I'm the expert on how not to do it :lolol:

I will do Gareth - thanks. I'll set one up soon & push it as best I can :thumbsup:

Yes mate - all advice helpful - I'll probably do all your heads in with silly questions :thumbsup: REMF team mates we are indeed :bigwave: And the REMF is one I've always supported since my first REMF match 12 or 13 years ago - and one very close to me like many on here. Just the motivation I need!

First task - Poppy half marathon in 3 weeks - that will give my training a healthy start :)

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Just thinking that my first Marathon the mouth to mouth is about 5 weeks away! As per the great advice on here I did 14.5 miles on Sunday on part of the course in order to familiarise myself with it. Ended up running from where the Adur joins the south downs way, along the SDW past the A24 up to the top of the downs again and back. I must admit it was pretty hilly but legs feel Ok which hopefully means I am on track with the training. I am also hoping that I must have covered the most hilly bits of the course and there are no further surprises!

The Mouth to Mouth is another event that is slightly longer than Marathon distance (28 Miles).

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Entered the Brighton Marathon this morning. Will be running with a mate who is looking for a "good for age place" he thinks it's 3hr 15min. Will be my first marathon for 7 years. Actually quite excited!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Some serious milage left in the year then, I have 3 marathons booked in to do and it seems many others have races ongoing too. Beachy Head is going to be a tester for me, I am hopeful of shaving a full hour off last years woeful time of 4:59!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Some serious milage left in the year then, I have 3 marathons booked in to do and it seems many others have races ongoing too. Beachy Head is going to be a tester for me, I am hopeful of shaving a full hour off last years woeful time of 4:59!

Ha ha! I've got a 5hr target for Beachy, so I'd be DELIGHTED with 4:59 :lol:

Good luck – might see you there.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

I considered the Beachy Head Marathon before I realised how tough it is and with the seven sisters towards the end I thought I would leave until next year....it must be a real challenge hitting the wall and then the seven sisters!

Good luck with getting your time down!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ha ha! I've got a 5hr target for Beachy, so I'd be DELIGHTED with 4:59 :lol:

Good luck – might see you there.

I completed it in that time last year having not really been able to train beforehand, I wasn't in any sort of condition to run a marathon and got found out repeatedly by the course! This year I'm far more prepared physically and I think, tactically, I'll attack the early hills with far less aggression. I found myself having to walk some of the flat sections because I was just knackered from the effort of trying to push the pace up the mountainous hills! I'll look out for you, I'm confident I'll recognise you but we'll see!

I considered the Beachy Head Marathon before I realised how tough it is and with the seven sisters towards the end I thought I would leave until next year....it must be a real challenge hitting the wall and then the seven sisters!

Good luck with getting your time down!

It is very tough but it's a very rewarding challenge, some of the views are outstanding and the villagers laid on some top food last year - let's hope that continues!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
TOTES fell of the wagon during the summer and into October. Started right back at 3 milers and will slowly build up again once I've got my legs back in order. Need a target so looking at halfs, did anyone do Worthing last year?

Any good?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
TOTES fell of the wagon during the summer and into October. Started right back at 3 milers and will slowly build up again once I've got my legs back in order. Need a target so looking at halfs, did anyone do Worthing last year?

Any good?

I didn't do it last year but a mate did and reported back that it was a fast, flat course. I went along to cheer him on and it looked to me like a big and well organised event. I'd like to have a crack at it in Feb, injuries allowing.

Meanwhile a 21:17 for me today at Worthing parkrun; pleased with this.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Beachy Head marathon done in 4.35. Well chuffed!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Well played man, I'm sorry I didn't see you. I dragged myself around in 4:17:47, so I shaved 40 minutes off last year's time. I stumbled on the final descent, and I have a really sore ankle and lower shin. Enjoyed the run again, didn't have the calf and quad disasters of last time either. The mist was crazy though, my glasses were steamed up and could barely see.

... and then scooted off to see the Albion :albion2:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

That is anexcellent time. You've beaten your jinx when near the sea. Did you wear blinkers so you could not see the Ocean from the Seven Sisters or did the mist obscure it?

Well played man, I'm sorry I didn't see you. I dragged myself around in 4:17:47, so I shaved 40 minutes off last year's time. I stumbled on the final descent, and I have a really sore ankle and lower shin. Enjoyed the run again, didn't have the calf and quad disasters of last time either. The mist was crazy though, my glasses were steamed up and could barely see.

Great running and hope your training for San Sebastien can continue.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

That's a fantastic effort and time on a notoriously tough course. You've got to be in a good place for your duel in San Sebastián now. Got to the Amex in time too, happy days.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I missed the first twenty minutes, so the first goal. The conductor was "unwell" at Eastbourne which scuppered the whole thing but luckily, the pointless little two carriage train then stopped at Falmer which was a nice touch, albeit a bit little and a bit late but better than nothing to be fair to them.

I'm confident that on the flat streets of San Sebastian, I can make some magic happen but saying it is easy.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
19:38 Preston Park Park Run for me this morning. Fitness is getting there but foot speed isn't but at least my times are going the right way for the first time since May.

Well done to the Beachy Head crew. Hopefully see a few of you at Brooks in three weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here