Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Late afternoon yesterday I ran through the whole Sheffield Wednesday squad at the bottom of West Street , they were out for a sea front stroll. Shame that didn't happen at The Amex, later on..

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"Michigan" session this morning. Perfect conditions for a bit of speed work. 15 min warm up then 5 miles alternating between 8"00s and 7"35s. Fun in a "can I stop and puke now please" kind of way. Only two victims to overtake though :(

I gave this a go this morning, not really knowing what I was doing – having never heard of it – but through I'd give it a bash because it's better than a 6/8-mile plod.

Very enjoyable it was too :)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1078320326

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
"Michigan" session this morning. Perfect conditions for a bit of speed work. 15 min warm up then 5 miles alternating between 8"00s and 7"35s. Fun in a "can I stop and puke now please" kind of way. Only two victims to overtake though :(

Good work.......you know you're doing a Michigan properly when you reach 'VT' :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
TK Maxx in Brighton have Brooks Cascadia trail shoes for £29.99 if that's any good for people. I noticed sizes 9.5 and 10.5, width D.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
No more running for me until the Surrey Half on Sunday now. I just managed to get the last run of my taper in today, just a couple of miles at 6:39 pace (I should probably have gone slower... but what the hey!!), before the heavens opened!

Surely that is a good sign?!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
No more running for me until the Surrey Half on Sunday now. I just managed to get the last run of my taper in today, just a couple of miles at 6:39 pace (I should probably have gone slower... but what the hey!!), before the heavens opened!

Surely that is a good sign?!

Nice work.... wouldn't worry about the pace.. its a great feeling going into race on a high. Have a good one on Sunday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I gave this a go this morning, not really knowing what I was doing – having never heard of it – but through I'd give it a bash because it's better than a 6/8-mile plod.

Very enjoyable it was too :)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1078320326

Looks a great run :thumbsup:

It was described to me by coach as three quarters of a mile at half marathon race pace followed by half a mile at 10k race pace and repeat X4 without stopping or jogging. Why it's called Michigan I have no idea. I prefer the Selina Scott uneven paced 10k :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Looks a great run :thumbsup:

It was described to me by coach as three quarters of a mile at half marathon race pace followed by half a mile at 10k race pace and repeat X4 without stopping or jogging. Why it's called Michigan I have no idea. I prefer the Selina Scott uneven paced 10k :)

Ah right. That's sort of how I did it, only I rounded the different paces up to a mile each – in case you can't tell from the stats :lol:

I looked it up, and according to this source the Michigan name comes from the University associated with the guy who came up with the concept: http://runners-resource.com/the-michigan-workout/

As with your approach, rather than do as he suggests, it was far easier for me to split the distances into miles; but probably not as effective.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No Michigans nor Surrey Halfs for me. Just sore throat and headache. Above the chest but having a few days off. First coldly feeling since 2014, so I will milk this one.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Nice work.... wouldn't worry about the pace.. its a great feeling going into race on a high. Have a good one on Sunday.

Cheers, I won't be running that fast on the day 10-15 seconds per mile slower probably. Plenty of strolling, stretching, foam rolling and fluids from now on.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Got a 20 mile run under my belt on Tuesday morning. My longest run yet. Wasn't helped by the fact I stacked it over an uneven paving slab opposite the Brighton Centre around mile 16. Very glad I don't sit in the West Upper anymore as my legs felt like concrete that evening.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers, I won't be running that fast on the day 10-15 seconds per mile slower probably. Plenty of strolling, stretching, foam rolling and fluids from now on.

You're aiming sub 1:30 then? Wind set slight, if you sorted out the gels. Good luck.
I like a 1-2 mile jog the day before with 5x100 metre strides where you slowly accelerate up to race pace. Followed by the normal stretching routine. Bit like revving up your engine but waiting in idle.
Talking of revs, I'm getting itchy to open up the revs. Haven't wellied it for over 3 months now. Looking forward to do or die at Hastings next week.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
You're aiming sub 1:30 then? Wind set slight, if you sorted out the gels. Good luck.
I like a 1-2 mile jog the day before with 5x100 metre strides where you slowly accelerate up to race pace. Followed by the normal stretching routine. Bit like revving up your engine but waiting in idle.
Talking of revs, I'm getting itchy to open up the revs. Haven't wellied it for over 3 months now. Looking forward to do or die at Hastings next week.

That is the aim, yes. I did a 1:33 in training a little while back, so we'll see what happens on the day, but if I'm healthy and the conditions are good it should be within the realms of possibility.

Good luck at Hastings.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Has anyone read "Running Hot and Cold" by Doug Richards?

I've just started on it and thought it was worth mentioning as he's local and an Albion fan (we've had a couple of mentions already). In fact his sister Lin child minds our two semi-regularly and it was her that put me on to the book. I mention it not only because of the connection and the fact he's done some pretty crazy things but because it's given me a fresh perspective on the whole giving up booze thing. Apparently when training for the Marathon des Sables he met most of the Brits doing it for a 25 mile training run on the sand on a beach in Norfolk and they all got seriously on it in the hotel bar. The odd glass of wine before Brighton doesn't seem quite such a sin now.

Anyway, a good read so far and nice to support a local man,

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm enjoying the running but still have a big problem with my weight.

Has anyone tried Graze protein boxes or anything similar? Are they any good?

Two half marathons on April 3rd and 10th, I tend to just go out of the house and run a different number of miles each time, and I am conscious it's not very scientific, what would you recommend for these two races coming up. I would love to go sub 1:50 for the first time, managed to get down to 1:51:41 for the Brighton half, which knocked 2 minutes off my PB, but unsure if I can take things further weighing 15 1/2 stone.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Two half marathons on April 3rd and 10th, I tend to just go out of the house and run a different number of miles each time, and I am conscious it's not very scientific, what would you recommend for these two races coming up. I would love to go sub 1:50 for the first time, managed to get down to 1:51:41 for the Brighton half, which knocked 2 minutes off my PB, but unsure if I can take things further weighing 15 1/2 stone.

My other half has had weekly Graze boxes pretty much since they launched, and still pays the original £2.99 per week. I didn't know they now did different boxes until I just visited their site. She has the regular boxes, not the new (or new-ish) protein boxes.

My approach has always been the same as yours and it didn't seem to be too much harm last year - just go out and do what I fancy, with the long run typically on a Sunday like most. My aim was fitness and weight loss though and not performance, although I did see pretty decent and regular performance improvements.

I'm doing the same again this year. I'm only a few weeks in and the weight isn't slipping off quite as easily as it did last year, but I know I've not been disciplined in the slightest yet, neither with food nor with drink.

What worked for me to give me a kick-start last year was use MyFitnessPal for calorie counting. I set myself a target of 1,500 every day. I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I stuck to that. Along with the running, the weight fell off. I kicked drinking into touch initially too, although I know that's not something you have to worry about! I may go back to the same plan in a week or two if I'm not seeing the weight loss I want/expect!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Yeah, I tried Graze boxes.

I found that by having them I was just eating extra snacks that I wouldn't have done otherwise. So I cut the snacking altogether for a while, dropped some pounds. I now bring fruit to work to snack on. Cheaper, less calories.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I've just started using MyFitnessPal as I was worried about the amount I was eating especially on long run days. I've never had Graze boxes but have started snacking on either fruit or plain nuts (almonds or cashews) with no added salt. Most days now I'm losing or maintaining again. The exception was Tuesday night when my dinner consisted of a pie, four pints and a kebab.

I found it an excellent app so far (you can scan in the bar code of any food you eat that has it and link it to Strava).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

In your Brighton Half Conqueror photo you don't look a lard Arse, so maybe you are just a heavy chap. It would be hard to lose much in 3-4 weeks. You could try organic virgin coconut oil. I add it to my porridge. The fat gives me energy, I can last longer before snacking and it is a type of fat that encourages the body to burn the body fats more efficiently. Google it.

To go sub 1:50 you need 8:23 pace. Visualise running that and crossing the line in sub 1:50. Pick NOW which of the two races is going to be the record breaker. Do the intervals and hills training you did for Brighton. Shave your legs. Buy some ASIC gel racers. Start as far up the front as you dare for a clear start. Shave your legs again and rub some coconut oil on them to slipstream.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here