Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hello.

Todays "im an idiot, please help me" question is this.

My phones just BLEEDS battery when I use the mapping app and listen to music. It has died on me twice during my attempted longer runs. So I want just a BASIC GPS watch. I just need to know distance and time. Nothing fancy.

I've looked on ebay, hoping people would be getting rid of something cheap and nasty for a nominal price but that they are WELL EXPENSIVE (for a poor cheapo like me).

Can anyone recommend a good "budget" brand of these watches?

Thanks

I use a Garmin Forerunner 10. It is basic - looks like an 80s Casio digital and doesn't do Heart Rate or some of the flashier stuff - but is perfectly adequate for a beginner. I've had mine a year and it has only let me down once when it didn't lock on to GPS. I subsequently found the way round that was to take it off your wrist and place it on a wall or such like outside when you start it up.

No sure what your definition of cheap is but the best current deal I can see is £67.58 on Handtec

http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-for...FuGTbA8_LTB6lU1FOt4fpi23bjUYh4L29UaAnEu8P8HAQ

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Assuming you don't need to look at it whilst you're running, the Strava app should get you through 2 or 3 hours activity easily. If you're on Android just put it in airplane mode, that'll give you the best part of a day's running; if on iphone lock the screen, turn off notifications / background apps to save a bit of battery.

I don't know what sort of budget you're looking at, but I've got one of these and like it, good value for what you get: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Runner-GPS-Watch-Dark/dp/B00D7LN7K4

I can vouch for the TomTom Runner, too. Nice watch, easy to use.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You're a rocket. I have to go sub 20 in a 5k or sub 42 in a 10k this summer to get even near that. Not an easy job but the work has begun. Could you please not go any faster before then....

Update: official results a bit delayed but now out and show a result @ 26:59 which is 77.7% AGR (Runners World calculator). At least you now know the precise target (unless by some miracle I do get faster) and I reckon you'll have a more than sporting chance of getting here by the end of 2016 (in which time I guess there'll be a birthday!) If anyone else fancies this challenge then just post your best AGR for any event in 2016.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Update: official results a bit delayed but now out and show a result @ 26:59 which is 77.7% AGR (Runners World calculator). At least you now know the precise target (unless by some miracle I do get faster) and I reckon you'll have a more than sporting chance of getting here by the end of 2016 (in which time I guess there'll be a birthday!) If anyone else fancies this challenge then just post your best AGR for any event in 2016.

I have had a look at the calculators and think that is an achievable target. The only proviso is the NHS waiting list for a sex change. If it is longer than 11 months, and I stay male, I am going to find it very difficult.
19:53 5k before November and 20:02 in November.
Well done on your 4 miler.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Wow, you're a machine! The best AGR I've had at any distance in just over 69%... so you can count me out of this contest!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Wow, you're a machine! The best AGR I've had at any distance in just over 69%... so you can count me out of this contest!

I hit the 70's for the first time ever with my Park Run 5k time 3 weeks ago. Not sure what the target is for 79/80% but would imagine it's sub 17:30 which is well out of reach.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I hit the 70's for the first time ever with my Park Run 5k time 3 weeks ago. Not sure what the target is for 79/80% but would imagine it's sub 17:30 which is well out of reach.

I thought I'd never get over 70% in Park Run, but I managed it three times over the last year. Getting into the upper 70s seems pretty much impossible for me, however, not least because every time I train to the extent that my race times improve, I seem to get injured. The latest is a recurrence of an ankle problem, following a couple of months of good training and improving times, which has got me hobbling around this week, not able to run at all, and has I fear put the kaibosh on my plan do run the Brighton Half at the end of the month.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Apologies, a long post and one that might not even make sense or have a standard answer. But, in a nutshell, has anyone else ever got a "Marathon Cold"?

The background - my kids' school had been RAVAGED by a flu epidemic. My daughter is in reception. Her class of 31 was down to 9 well children turning up last Friday. She was at home for five days plus the weekend and at one point ran a temp of 39C. My son had had it a week ago. He was only off 2 days but has a barking cough and had to be cleared to go back to school via and emergency docs visit (he just has a viral cough now and it will clear). My wife was so ill over the weekend that she pretty much cannot remember Saturday to Monday inclusive.

I haven't caught it (yet) against all the odds. I have had no temperature. I have had no fever. I have just cleaned the kitchen having previously made dinner and in a second I'm going to put my running kit somewhere where I can get changed quietly tomorrow morning for an easy 6 miler.

Yet I have had almost constant snuffles, coughs and sore throats, Nothing that has BANJAXED me. In fact it's not even really a cold. But I am not 100% to the point where I googled "can you run with a cough" and saw the below that talks about "Marathon Colds" and confirms you can train with them, though not intensively (lucky I'm on an easy week).

Will it clear so I can get back to normal intensity next week on schedule? Do I have the start of the death flu and should I not bother unpacking the kit? Since things only get harder from here on in should I buy a ton of Handy Andies (for my NOSE you perverts)?

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/running-when-sick/

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

I thought I'd never get over 70% in Park Run, but I managed it three times over the last year. Getting into the upper 70s seems pretty much impossible for me, however, not least because every time I train to the extent that my race times improve, I seem to get injured. The latest is a recurrence of an ankle problem, following a couple of months of good training and improving times, which has got me hobbling around this week, not able to run at all, and has I fear put the kaibosh on my plan do run the Brighton Half at the end of the month.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apologies, a long post and one that might not even make sense or have a standard answer. But, in a nutshell, has anyone else ever got a "Marathon Cold"?

The background - my kids' school had been RAVAGED by a flu epidemic. My daughter is in reception. Her class of 31 was down to 9 well children turning up last Friday. She was at home for five days plus the weekend and at one point ran a temp of 39C. My son had had it a week ago. He was only off 2 days but has a barking cough and had to be cleared to go back to school via and emergency docs visit (he just has a viral cough now and it will clear). My wife was so ill over the weekend that she pretty much cannot remember Saturday to Monday inclusive.

I haven't caught it (yet) against all the odds. I have had no temperature. I have had no fever. I have just cleaned the kitchen having previously made dinner and in a second I'm going to put my running kit somewhere where I can get changed quietly tomorrow morning for an easy 6 miler.

Yet I have had almost constant snuffles, coughs and sore throats, Nothing that has BANJAXED me. In fact it's not even really a cold. But I am not 100% to the point where I googled "can you run with a cough" and saw the below that talks about "Marathon Colds" and confirms you can train with them, though not intensively (lucky I'm on an easy week).

Will it clear so I can get back to normal intensity next week on schedule? Do I have the start of the death flu and should I not bother unpacking the kit? Since things only get harder from here on in should I buy a ton of Handy Andies (for my NOSE you perverts)?

Don't overcomplicate things or worry too much. Because you're getting fitter, you'll fight it off quicker when you do get something. On the other side of the equation, you deplete your body's resources faster so you may end up being a bit more susceptible to things going round.

I'd take a good multivitamin every day if you don't already as well as trying to eat at least a bit more healthily. As for running, if you feel ok, go ahead, just modify your effort. General rule of 'above the neck ok to run, on the chest probably best not to' works well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Not sure if this helps, but I had a really annoying could for weeks before I decided to go to the doctors (didn't see the point before; thought it would go away) and antibiotics sorted it out.

Anyway, it didn't seem to affect my running - in fact the only time I didn't annoy me was when I WAS running. I've run with colds before and that's been fine.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks chaps.

I'm taking multivitamins each day and seem to be addicted to tangerines and oranges at the moment. Great for vitamin c and citrus gel tolerance, not great for sugar. I went out today as I had a very low intensity session planned anyway, 6 miles easy. I reigned the pace right in especially on the way home in to the wind. Truly the slowest run I have done in about a year. Felt fine on the run but quite lethargic after. Going to have an email chat with coach and another tangerine.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

A 70% is of course highly respectable in itself and I guess that there are a number of runners on this thread who hover around this. I take your point about injuries and as older runners it's not so much getting them as how long the buggers take to clear up. I too have had this problem but seem to be on a lucky streak at the moment (it won't last!) and am now producing times (or at least AGs) that I wouldn't have been capable of in my younger days. There are some amazingly good older runners around in Brighton (and I'm not one of them) who push into the 80% band...................but for now that difference between a late 70 and an 80 looks pretty formidable. Good luck with the ankle!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have the following ages and grades for analysis from a life of 5ks.
17:45 @35 years old 74.5%
19:33 @49 years old 75.39%
20:23 @ 55 years old 75.39%
21:50 @ 56 years old 70.99%
This suggests peak performance unless the age calculator needs rejigging as 60 becomes the new 40.

On the form book I will have to work bloody hard to get near @GNT. In fact I will have to work bloody hard just to continue to get 75% now and again.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good to see you've got off your bike for Strava [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]. :smile:

Just beat you to the post!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Couple of runs uploaded to Strava. Glad to see my decent pace from Sunday has carried on. My OCD with matching the numbers up didn't quite work out, but you can't have everything :lol:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1038749809

1 7:55.4
2 8:04.3
3 7:59.5
4 7:56.1
5 8:01.1
6 7:41.2
7 8:17.0
8 8:07.1

Summary 1:04:04

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Couple of runs uploaded to Strava. Glad to see my decent pace from Sunday has carried on. My OCD with matching the numbers up didn't quite work out, but you can't have everything :lol:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1038749809

1 7:55.4
2 8:04.3
3 7:59.5
4 7:56.1
5 8:01.1
6 7:41.2
7 8:17.0
8 8:07.1

Summary 1:04:04

Good to see Richard Whitley getting involved with grass roots running.

A good challenge to set yourself would be to cover 8 miles within an hour, I've found setting myself targets like this is good for pace and endurance as you push yourself hard throughout.

I was pleased to do 7.5 a couple of years ago I'm now pushing really close to 9.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good to see Richard Whitley getting involved with grass roots running.

A good challenge to set yourself would be to cover 8 miles within an hour, I've found setting myself targets like this is good for pace and endurance as you push yourself hard throughout.

I was pleased to do 7.5 a couple of years ago I'm now pushing really close to 9.

Thanks.

Once again I revised what I was going to do – meant to stick to 8:30 pace, rather than 8s – but it is certainly something I'm working towards.

I hit 7.77 miles for the hour back in January, and then last Sunday's run was eight miles in 1:01:32 (as part of a 14-miler) so I'm getting there. The issue I have is that this normal running route has a hill between miles 6 and 7 which, as you see, hits the average time a bit. I'd love to do it on that route, but it will require a bit more training. Going from 7.5 to 9 is mega.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here