Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good running everyone.

I did nine miles this morning in the end. Four and a half in to the wind was more than enough. Turned and did the last half in negative splits again though very much wind assisted.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I was last home, so far, in latest 5k time x2 +1+5 secs.
45:05. Enjoyed the run, ran at max, room for improvement.
2 pints of London Pride went down well in Wetherspoons. That's why @Bignuts was running fast.

Those two pints went down well. Very surprised I pb'd albeit by 3 seconds for 40:39 my quest for a sub 40 10k may need to move into 2016 now.

Some good times being posted despite conditions. That last 1.5k was pretty tough, I'll use that as motivation next time I'm thinking of jacking in a Park Run at 4k.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not quite the last -- my time was 47:19. Not good compared with the speed merchants on here, but still my best time of the three 10ks I've done since starting running last year (Brooks 2014: 50:38, and BM10k 48:23), and a pretty good time for my 60+ age category. So I'm quite pleased, especially given the conditions, which I found hard, hard, hard... especially the last stretch after the final turn.

As the picture below shows, it seems that my Garmin was also somewhat distressed by the weather!

View attachment 70018

Greetings fellow old git. Just had a look at the age grade percentages. If you are 62 or 62+ I was last. 61 or 60 years young and you were just squeezed out. We have to train harder to catch that champion old git @GNT.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bloody good efforts all round chaps........went for a quick jog this morning, seemed a bit breezy.....

This popped up on facebook. Hove Hornets page [emoji3]

4da40abeeecd5b271f5654bef3bd2cdf.jpg

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Bloody good efforts all round chaps........went for a quick jog this morning, seemed a bit breezy.....

This popped up on facebook. Hove Hornets page [emoji3]

4da40abeeecd5b271f5654bef3bd2cdf.jpg

Oh, I thought you were who you are at the end. Apologies for not extending comradeship.

The bloke in the Hornets vest is an Albion fan as well. Saw him at Reading.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Greetings fellow old git. Just had a look at the age grade percentages. If you are 62 or 62+ I was last. 61 or 60 years young and you were just squeezed out. We have to train harder to catch that champion old git @GNT.

Afraid, that while I am a serious old git, I'm 'only' 60, so you squeeze me out. Still, I'm improving over the last year, so hope to get there eventually (and indeed, if I hadn't run half the course on the beach/in the sea, as my Garmin map confirms, I might have done it today ...). Looking forward (sort of) to my first half marathon in Feb, as the next real test.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Not quite the last -- my time was 47:19. Not good compared with the speed merchants on here, but still my best time of the three 10ks I've done since starting running last year (Brooks 2014: 50:38, and BM10k 48:23), and a pretty good time for my 60+ age category. So I'm quite pleased, especially given the conditions, which I found hard, hard, hard... especially the last stretch after the final turn.

As the picture below shows, it seems that my Garmin was also somewhat distressed by the weather!

View attachment 70018

Having to stop at those traffic lights didn't help!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Afraid, that while I am a serious old git, I'm 'only' 60, so you squeeze me out. Still, I'm improving over the last year, so hope to get there eventually (and indeed, if I hadn't run half the course on the beach/in the sea, as my Garmin map confirms, I might have done it today ...). Looking forward (sort of) to my first half marathon in Feb, as the next real test.

Bloody hell: the gap is narrowing! Well done to all who battled through those conditions. This old git just did a slow shuffle along Worthing seafront - didn't see a single other runner. Perhaps everyone was in Brighton? (I don't think I've ever run into such as strong wind.)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done everyone who was out at the weekend – sounds like horrible conditions, and a great time for me to have a weekend off!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Good running in the wind folks, I just hope it isn't too windy at Dunsfold at the end of the month. My preparation for that seems to be going alright and I managed to match my Parkrun pb of 19:40 over the weekend without having to resort to dry-wretching once I'd gotten over the finish line - hopefully that means I can sustain the pace a little further and push at that sub-40 for the 10k!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Achilles tendinitis really getting me down. Some days I wonder if I'll ever manage a decent run again, (I'm 54).
In July before my injury problems started with a torn calf I was going really well. Half Marathon in 1:40 I was really pleased with that.
I'm trying everything, we have an acupuncturist on the ship, so I'm giving that a go even, at some expense I might add,
Anyway, nothing constructive to add on the running front, just venting!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good running in the wind folks, I just hope it isn't too windy at Dunsfold at the end of the month. My preparation for that seems to be going alright and I managed to match my Parkrun pb of 19:40 over the weekend without having to resort to dry-wretching once I'd gotten over the finish line - hopefully that means I can sustain the pace a little further and push at that sub-40 for the 10k!

You'll smash the difficult 5k current best time x2 +1 minute equation if you go sub 40. That will be hard going but no reason why you can't get that. I reckon your 5k pb will go under 19:30 before you go sub 40. Good luck. Hope the dry wretchhing hasn't turned into wet wretching!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
[MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] - waiting to see if any of my mates fancy it - feel free to offer it about though mate as I've not had one yes yet!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Achilles tendinitis really getting me down. Some days I wonder if I'll ever manage a decent run again, (I'm 54).
In July before my injury problems started with a torn calf I was going really well. Half Marathon in 1:40 I was really pleased with that.
I'm trying everything, we have an acupuncturist on the ship, so I'm giving that a go even, at some expense I might add,
Anyway, nothing constructive to add on the running front, just venting!

Hi Smudge. Can't offer any solutions but can express solidarity as a fellow sufferer. I'm sure you are exploring lots of avenues on this - and of course as you get older everything takes longer to clear up. My own experience might give grounds for optimism in that I've been plagued by this condition (a combo of calf and Achilles probs) for many a year and at times I've thought 'that's it - no more running for me'. However, I'm still turning up (at 60) and churning out some times that are better than they were 10 years back. So I guess the thing is
a) not to give in to despair
b) try not to pile on weight
c) try to do something aerobic that doesn't upset your injury
and then of course
d) keep looking for treatments

But you have got a lot of years running left in you - and might even duck under that 1:40 sometime soon(ish)!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Bit windy out there today - 5k up the hill into the headwind in about 25:23 today, back down again in under 21 minutes! All run at an easy pace, and I'm in proper taper mode for the Jigsaw Run 10k at Dunsfold now.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
After reading your posts on this thread enviously for the last month due to knee pain, tonight's the night I feel ready to run again (hopefully with no pain). I haven't posted much in this thread in the past but it's one that I always keep an eye on and hopefully tonight's the night I become a runner again.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Switch from 10k training to Mince Pie training today. Lovely slog from seafront to the Dyke with some wind assistance and helter skelter back home. No Garmin, no watch, no time. Legs feeling it from Sunday still.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here