Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
1) Thanks [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] :wink: but......

2) First run in the new Mizuno Wave Inspire 11s. WOW. Much lighter than the Brooks and the weight is evenly distributed across the foot. I thought I was going to just do a 5k recovery jog after Sunday but ended up running negative splits and no foot pain at all afterwards. Not only have I lost a lot of weight but undoubtedly improved technique since January. These just would not have suited me at the start. And.....

3) Could have gone faster but for other road users. Bah. Back to setting out at dawn on Thursday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lunchtime tempo effort - 1 mile easy, 5 hard, 2 eas(ier). Pleased with this as still coughing like a 40 a day coal miner.

Splits
Mile Pace GAP Elev
1 8:13 /mi 8:23 /mi -29 ft
2 7:13 /mi 7:09 /mi 11 ft
3 7:09 /mi 7:13 /mi -15 ft
4 7:12 /mi 7:16 /mi -18 ft
5 7:08 /mi 7:02 /mi 17 ft
6 7:21 /mi 7:19 /mi 4 ft
7 8:12 /mi 8:01 /mi 26 ft
8 7:36 /mi 7:36 /mi -1 ft
0.6 8:05 /mi 8:02 /mi 5 ft

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Lunchtime tempo effort - 1 mile easy, 5 hard, 2 eas(ier). Pleased with this as still coughing like a 40 a day coal miner.

Splits
Mile Pace GAP Elev
1 8:13 /mi 8:23 /mi -29 ft
2 7:13 /mi 7:09 /mi 11 ft
3 7:09 /mi 7:13 /mi -15 ft
4 7:12 /mi 7:16 /mi -18 ft
5 7:08 /mi 7:02 /mi 17 ft
6 7:21 /mi 7:19 /mi 4 ft
7 8:12 /mi 8:01 /mi 26 ft
8 7:36 /mi 7:36 /mi -1 ft
0.6 8:05 /mi 8:02 /mi 5 ft

You did that with Manflu? Impressed!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

2) First run in the new Mizuno Wave Inspire 11s. WOW. Much lighter than the Brooks and the weight is evenly distributed across the foot. I thought I was going to just do a 5k recovery jog after Sunday but ended up running negative splits and no foot pain at all afterwards. Not only have I lost a lot of weight but undoubtedly improved technique since January. These just would not have suited me at the start. And.....

3) Could have gone faster but for other road users. Bah. Back to setting out at dawn on Thursday.

I always have 3 pairs on the go of different age and make. As soon as any niggle appears I give the shoes worn in that session a weeks holiday. Funnily the Brooks 14 are in favour currently but had to wipe a lot of cobwebs of all 3 pairs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I always have 3 pairs on the go of different age and make. As soon as any niggle appears I give the shoes worn in that session a weeks holiday. Funnily the Brooks 14 are in favour currently but had to wipe a lot of cobwebs of all 3 pairs.

3 ? Amateur :lol:

I currently have the following 'live'

2 x Brooks Racer ST - road
Brooks racer ST - at work for the treadmill
2 x Brooks GTS 14 - road and dry trails/SDW
Hoka Rapa Nui - occasional trail use (not sure whether I like them or not)
Vibram 5-fingers Bikele - also at work for treadmill
Neo Vivo barefoots - light trail work
Saucony Pegasus 5 - wet trails/long distance with custom insoles
Inov8 Roclite - slippery trails

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
3 ? Amateur :lol:

I currently have the following 'live'

2 x Brooks Racer ST - road
Brooks racer ST - at work for the treadmill
2 x Brooks GTS 14 - road and dry trails/SDW
Hoka Rapa Nui - occasional trail use (not sure whether I like them or not)
Vibram 5-fingers Bikele - also at work for treadmill
Neo Vivo barefoots - light trail work
Saucony Pegasus 5 - wet trails/long distance with custom insoles
Inov8 Roclite - slippery trails

Divide weekly mileage by number of shoes and I have a current average of 1.01 miles this week per pair.
Divide last 5 weeks mileage by number of shoes and each pair averages 0.202 miles a week.

I have 2 race pairs but have not included them. They are ready for next summer when the chosen shoes will take me sub 20 at 5k and at some point give me my first victory over you.

Before that a couple of months fun running up to Xmas and then a 14 week marathon plan.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Also chasing [MENTION=635]Gary Nelson[/MENTION]'s Teacher over the year. need a 20:07 5k to get 77.04%.
Can anyone better his 76.96%?

Interestingly my marathon time is 66% on AG. Plenty of room for improvement there.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Also chasing [MENTION=635]Gary Nelson[/MENTION]'s Teacher over the year. need a 20:07 5k to get 77.04%.
Can anyone better his 76.96%?

Interestingly my marathon time is 66% on AG. Plenty of room for improvement there.

Might be worth getting toHove Prom on a calm no wind day. One word of warning my 5k pb is still Hove Park I reckon I run better up and down hills than on flat, it keeps my mind occupied to run faster.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Might be worth getting toHove Prom on a calm no wind day. One word of warning my 5k pb is still Hove Park I reckon I run better up and down hills than on flat, it keeps my mind occupied to run faster.

Hove Park with a SSE gale is what I am waiting for.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Any recommendations on Garmin watches? My Forerunner 110 which is basic but does the job is due an upgrade, especially as 3 out of my last 4 runs the GPS has had me starting in some pretty dangerous spots, such as Lake Michigan, On the Brighton to London rail track and earlier this morning the English Channel. I'm not fussed about heart rate etc... Just looking for a reliable watch which gives me distance, time, splits etc....

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Any recommendations on Garmin watches? My Forerunner 110 which is basic but does the job is due an upgrade, especially as 3 out of my last 4 runs the GPS has had me starting in some pretty dangerous spots, such as Lake Michigan, On the Brighton to London rail track and earlier this morning the English Channel. I'm not fussed about heart rate etc... Just looking for a reliable watch which gives me distance, time, splits etc....

The speed you're going these days it wouldn't surprise me if you could run on water! :D

It does amuse me seeing the map of your last run on Strava though!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You know when the weather smashes your plans? You know when your family smash your plans? Yeah, that.

I thought I'd go out early and do my steep hill loop. It crosses so many major roads that it's only practical early on and, as my son decided to spend "early on" chundering I missed the time spot. Then I thought I'd do a quick flat 10k early lunchtime as by now reinforcements had arrived to look after him. Only Hurricane Bertie was blowing and it started raining the second I hit the seafront. Ended up heading inland and running about aimlessly at ever decreasing speed. Not fun.

It was ALMOST entirely pointless though 50 odd mins on my feet and nearly 1000 calories burned is better than sitting on the sofa.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I understand that. I've got some very light (and also very bright) Asics Gel something or other that I bought for shorter runs only, say less than 10km, and they do feel significantly different to the Brooks. I'm not sure I'd want to wear them for anything much longer though.

I think I'm approaching 3 weeks without a run now. I need to get back on it or I won't make 1000 miles this year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I understand that. I've got some very light (and also very bright) Asics Gel something or other that I bought for shorter runs only, say less than 10km, and they do feel significantly different to the Brooks. I'm not sure I'd want to wear them for anything much longer though.

I think I'm approaching 3 weeks without a run now. I need to get back on it or I won't make 1000 miles this year.

I used Asics Gel shoes for a number of years, including two marathons, before I switched to Brooks.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

The Mizuno aren't THAT light, they just made me realise how heavy the Brooks Adrenaline are. So they're lighter but I'm going to try them on a long run on Sunday. I'm not disowning Brooks though and will keep an open mind when it's time for the next pair. One thing the guy at sweatshop said was that a slightly lighter shoe will actually help in a marathon because you are carrying slightly less weight on each stride and. well, marathons involve a lot of strides.

I do remember thinking at the time that was probably more for the pros to worry about than me.

Good luck getting back in to it and doing the 1000 miles. I need to work out my yearly mileage at some point. A spreadsheet will be involved as my records are across three apps and split almost equally between runs in miles and runs in kms :facepalm:

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

I know you can get younger, sexier models that can do all sorts... But my Garmin 310xt has never let me down and picks up gps well. It does all kind of stuff, looks a bit ugly/bulky but who needs flash when your a sweaty mess mid run. You can also pick them up relatively cheap... Also, if this doesn't persuade you.. if you've got a horse you can rig him up to it well. job sorted.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I
The Mizuno aren't THAT light, they just made me realise how heavy the Brooks Adrenaline are. So they're lighter but I'm going to try them on a long run on Sunday. I'm not disowning Brooks though and will keep an open mind when it's time for the next pair. One thing the guy at sweatshop said was that a slightly lighter shoe will actually help in a marathon because you are carrying slightly less weight on each stride and. well, marathons involve a lot of strides.

I do remember thinking at the time that was probably more for the pros to worry about than me.

Another way of looking at the lighter shoe over a marathon distance is 26.2 miles with minimum support could lead to injury. Over 5k this would not be an issue. A general rule I have read is that skinny, small frame runners can get away with light shoes in a marathon as there is less load going onto the shoe support. Also the lighter race shoes have less total mileage in them so should be just worn in and relatively new for a marathon.

I would happily do a half in ASIC gels and for the last 2 marathons have been set to wear them only to change my mind on the morning. Probably due to pre race niggles putting me off. Next year could be the time.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Not many results being posted right now so I'll kick of with a fairly ordinary 22:01 at the Bognor parkrun. They really did the Halloween thing well in terms of runners in fancy dress (first time I've ever been overtaken by a ghost) and 'scary' supporters on the course (mind you, this is not unusual in Bognor!). In truth they are an exceptionally friendly bunch down in Bognor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here