Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Do it.......will give you all the stats in the world, especially if you get one with a heart rate monitor. Wireless upload to Garmin Connect where all your workouts are stored, which you can then link to Strava.....etc etc......

Tracking speed on the move is useful too if you are aiming at particular times.

Fully agree. Garmin is a great bit of kit - not too expensive either and very user friendly

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Garmin, pah! I keep track of my times on a Casio W-59 (water resistant to 50 metres), and a spreadsheet.

#olsdskool

On a serious note, I'm closing in on the last couple of long runs before the Surrey Half. Ran an easy pace 4.8 miles at lunch, averaging 7:14 miles, which really is the pay-off for all those interval and hill sessions. A sub 1 hour 40 is a definite possibility

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good work nuts. I was down to 42 mins many moons ago for 10km. This year (on BM day), I'm hoping for something similar.

Still clinging onto hope of a sub 1:40 HM in a week and a bit. Gonna go for a good tempo run (8 miles-ish/1hr) around Shoreham-by-Sea tomorrow morning and see how it feels...

Well THAT didn't quite go to plan. Turns out my early morning running alarm woke Baby Bobkin up, so I then got caught up in the feeding/getting ready for school ritual. However, I had Daddy Daycare planned, so took her out for a run in her buggy (well, she slept) after dropping the boys to school. Seven miles in 1:01 – bearing in mind a lot of it was running with a buggy into the eye of the "hurricane" – thanks [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] – I was quite happy with that. I'll save the faster pace 8-miler for another day - Sunday possibly...

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
First sub 30 min 5k just now. Admittedly approx 29.30 - 29.40 (I have to turn runkeeper on and then stop it again and it's just over 5k by the time i stop) but the right pace, solid under 10m/m. And it was in THAT hurricane out there *points at swaying trees*
[MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION] I'm comin' for ya!

Nice one -- you will catch me soon (albeit with the advantage of relative youth...!). Garmin is a good idea for us new runners, as others have said -- I got one for Christmas (after a lot of hints), and I love being able to download the maps, and get all my 1k splits on each run.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well THAT didn't quite go to plan. Turns out my early morning running alarm woke Baby Bobkin up, so I then got caught up in the feeding/getting ready for school ritual. However, I had Daddy Daycare planned, so took her out for a run in her buggy (well, she slept) after dropping the boys to school. Seven miles in 1:01 – bearing in mind a lot of it was running with a buggy into the eye of the "hurricane" – thanks [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] – I was quite happy with that. I'll save the faster pace 8-miler for another day - Sunday possibly...

You ran with a BUGGY? You're my new hero.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

You have my respect. I have on occasion been passed by buggy runners doing the Guildford Park Run ... which is slightly embarrassing!

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Went for a nice long run today on the Downs today in preparation for london marathon. With driving rain and a head wind it was a bit torturous but at the same time exhirilating. However it did remind me how lucky we have been this year, lots of fantastic glorious cold sunny days that are just fantastic to run in. Last year all I can remember was the rain but maybe I was just unlucky with my running schedule.

With the almost endless trails on the downs and the nice flat seafront Brighton is a fantastic place to live for running. I definately have my running mojo at the moment.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You ran with a BUGGY? You're my new hero.

You have my respect. I have on occasion been passed by buggy runners doing the Guildford Park Run ... which is slightly embarrassing!
Thanks guys, but I'm not sure I deserve hero status [emoji38] I've only done it a couple of times and I have, too, been passed by buggy pushers at parkrun.

Quite straightforward with a decent buggy, especially if they stay asleep!

Shatners bassoon

Feb 15, 2012
Just moved back to Sussex and am in search of some good, scenic routes for runs. Have done most of the South Downs Way, Downs Link and Lancing to Brighton. Any tips gratefully received. Thanks.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just back from this morning:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/696967164 (hope that link works)

Really chuffed considering I was planning on going for 8:30 miles earlier in week. I did the actual Brighton half last year in about 1:49 and felt truly awful so advancements have been made!
On to the 18 miler (albeit much slower 18 miler) next week!

Great run just shows how runners tend to under-estimate their ability. Are you targeting a time for the 18 miler? Or just looking to cover the distance?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I doubled up on running yesterday, I did a 5km (3.1 miler) at lunch time and then a cheeky 21km (13.1 miler) after work. I should have paced the first run a bit cleverer but I got carried away and ran it in 20:13. With about 3/4 miles left of the second run I was feeling it big time - although I did have a couple of miles of fairly constant up hill climbing. I need to get out there today and pile into at least a 10 mile run, but I'm massively feeling it today.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Great run just shows how runners tend to under-estimate their ability. Are you targeting a time for the 18 miler? Or just looking to cover the distance?

Thanks! RW plan has it down as 18 in approximately 2:35....which I think is just over 8:30 a mile...? So may stick to that for this longer distance and see how I feel, considering my 16 miler was way slower at 9:15. Sound about right?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks! RW plan has it down as 18 in approximately 2:35....which I think is just over 8:30 a mile...? So may stick to that for this longer distance and see how I feel, considering my 16 miler was way slower at 9:15. Sound about right?

I think that's reasonable, long runs are all about getting time on your feet and the distance so time is secondary in my opinion. 8:30 will seem pretty slow as you ran the 13.1 significantly quicker so if you feel fresh from mile 14 consider finishing with a flourish and run the last two hard.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Are there any runners in Hastings area? Recently restarted running I'm not fast about 9:30 a mile over 8 miles.
Was just wondering if there was anyone else near or anyone knows of any 5-10k runs near.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cracking run on the Downs again this morning, perfect conditions. Deliberately slow paced although bombed the last 5 miles. The offroad stuff is harder but so much better for strength and conditioning, but much more forgiving on the body long term. Went westwards this morning, took this shot soon after Washington
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/697918892

33444528614a94dd25bfcfedcb711a70.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here