Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What are everyone's plans next week? The weather, in particular high winds are pretty off putting. Very tempted to jog over to King Alfred and use their tredmill as an alternative to being blown around the seafront.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
What are everyone's plans next week? The weather, in particular high winds are pretty off putting. Very tempted to jog over to King Alfred and use their tredmill as an alternative to being blown around the seafront.

Does n't look great does it? Especially Wednesday and Thursday.

I hate running in the wind, I find it really difficult to maiantain any kind of rhythm - maybe this is good for the training as an extra challenge?? Apart from the gym, the only alternatives I can think of are try to find somewhere sheltered like some woods to run in or as on Sunday I ran one way from Hove to Rottingdean and persuaded my wife to pick me up to avoid running back into the wind. Covered 13.5 km in 1 hr 10m without any injury issues so think I am back on the way to full fitness again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Get the train/a lift to the West and run with the wind back home :jester:

Eight miles this morning for me, at 8'08 pace – a mix of running with the wind, and trying to shield myself from it when running into it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I haven't run since Brighton Half-Marathon last Feb.

Getting back into fitness and hope to get to the Hove Park Run next Saturday, after putting on 15kg through 2014 and next to no exercise, I'll be happy with anything under 30 mins!

Look out for me, I'll be in the yellow away top huffing and puffing at the back or stopping for a cig at the half-way point. :shrug:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Twelve weeks this Sunday until the marathon - its getting serious now right?

Whats everyone's plans for weekend?

I'll be doing a steady Hove Park run tomorrow (will look out for you Stoneham), followed by ten mile minimum on Sunday morning.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
New Orleans Marathon on Sunday 25th. I've been nursing my calf for about 4 weeks now, so could finish anywhere between a 3.49 PB to a 7 hour hobble!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Twelve weeks this Sunday until the marathon - its getting serious now right?

Whats everyone's plans for weekend?

I'll be doing a steady Hove Park run tomorrow (will look out for you Stoneham), followed by ten mile minimum on Sunday morning.

Probably parkrun tomorrow, dependant on what Mrs B is up to. Then long run Sunday morning. Looks like the wind is easing off for a while...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I might be swerving parkrun due to poorly kids, but I was thinking we need to have another NSC time-trial. Can't remember if we planned a specific date for one. Brighton Half and St Patricks Day run might get in the way (unless you want to do it in the opposite direction?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I might be swerving parkrun due to poorly kids, but I was thinking we need to have another NSC time-trial. Can't remember if we planned a specific date for one. Brighton Half and St Patricks Day run might get in the way (unless you want to do it in the opposite direction?

I much prefer the St Patrick's day loop reversal, you get the hill out of the way early and then it's mainly downhill apart from the very end. I think I took c.40 seconds of my pb the last time.

Would be up for another go at Park Run I'm available most if not all Saturdays in Feb.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I much prefer the St Patrick's day loop reversal, you get the hill out of the way early and then it's mainly downhill apart from the very end. I think I took c.40 seconds of my pb the last time.

Would be up for another go at Park Run I'm available most if not all Saturdays in Feb.

Yes it's funny is n't it, I also set a PB on the reverse route, it does seem to be easier. I'll be there most weeks except the two half term Saturdays 14th and 21st feb.
Hopefully see you there today- looks pretty frosty out there.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Nice conditions for Park Run today took 45 seconds off my PB and came in at 20:09 so incredibly happy with that. Next target sub 20 minutes which seemed an almost impossible task when I started running 5k's August 2013.

How did everyone get on today?

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nice conditions for Park Run today took 45 seconds off my PB and came in at 20:09 so incredibly happy with that. Next target sub 20 minutes which seemed an almost impossible task when I started running 5k's August 2013.

****!

That is a huge increase. I will run on the the seventh as well.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

You must have been right in front of me. Did you come 33rd or something? No official results yet but I got about 20:15. No kudos to the guy doing the timings on the final straight who said we were all on 18:30. Well played all, anyway :)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
You must have been right in front of me. Did you come 33rd or something? No official results yet but I got about 20:15. No kudos to the guy doing the timings on the final straight who said we were all on 18:30. Well played all, anyway :)

I think I was 34th or 35th can't remember for certain. Was looking good for sub 20 until the last section of uphills around 2.2 miles so my aim for next time is to sustain my pace better in the final mile.

1st mile 6:10 2nd mile 6:31 3rd mile 6:37

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hi all, long time lurker!

My last 13 miler this sunday over cissbury ring and chanctonbury ring and back, ready for the Dark Star River marathon next week! Bring on the mud!

I'm supposed to be doing that as well. Hoping I can finish in time to get to the game before kickoff. Touch and go I think.........will be my longest run by 10 miles for over a year......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here