Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks for all the comments. It's something I love doing and when it comes off it does feel good. It's now craft beer a go-go......

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks for all the comments. It's something I love doing and when it comes off it does feel good. It's now craft beer a go-go......

Excellent time, well done HT.

With regards next Saturday, I'm still up for it, but ducked back down to 22 mins on Saturday after going off too early. Possibly did too much in the lead up to it, after running Thursday (5 miles fartlek) and Friday (easy nine miles).

Put it this way, I don't expect to be on the NSC podium!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I dropped 2 minutes on Saturday after a hard week and yesterday had to stop and walk for a mile after a paltry 2 miles at slow pace with the wind behind me. That's a first for me. Rest for a few days........

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I've been running hills cross country this week whilst in the New Forest. Completed 5.4 miles Tuesday and 10k today. Calf is pretty tight at the moment but hope to be on top form for Saturday and hopefully break the 21 minute mark for the first time.

I've been reading the art of running faster this week by Julian Goater which has been a good read. In a nutshell get used to running fast, via hills, Fartlek and speed sessions.

Where is the meet? And what time for Saturday?

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I plan to meet the finishing line 20:59 after the start! But I am often wrong.

I will hang around the plastic climbing/scrambling rock to the right of the main circuit (facing south)just before it turns off to the finish line from 8:45. I will then position myself as near to front as possible at starting line. Green and black stripe away shirt with an old bald head sticking out will be me.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I plan to meet the finishing line 20:59 after the start! But I am often wrong.

I will hang around the plastic climbing/scrambling rock to the right of the main circuit (facing south)just before it turns off to the finish line from 8:45. I will then position myself as near to front as possible at starting line. Green and black stripe away shirt with an old bald head sticking out will be me.

Ok see you there, weather looks a bit iffy but possibility of a strong southerly wind which should blow us up the hill to a PB!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ok see you there, weather looks a bit iffy but possibility of a strong southerly wind which should blow us up the hill to a PB!

Your bang on there. We will float up the hill on the wind and then bomb down the hill protected by the trees. Hope so as I need help from somewhere....

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've been running hills cross country this week whilst in the New Forest. Completed 5.4 miles Tuesday and 10k today. Calf is pretty tight at the moment but hope to be on top form for Saturday and hopefully break the 21 minute mark for the first time.

I've been reading the art of running faster this week by Julian Goater which has been a good read. In a nutshell get used to running fast, via hills, Fartlek and speed sessions.

You're in my neck of the woods! Where have you been running?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Who on NSC has the fastest marathon time? Anyone faster than Herr Tubthumper?

Welcome to the board and the thread, Fivesteps.

How about we all share our PB? I'll start:
5K: 19:40 - Swindon Parkrun - 11th January 2014
10K: 43:26 - Calne Clock Change Challenge - 26th October 2014
Half Marathon: 1:35:00 - Swindon - 12th October 2014
Marathon: n/a - Ask me after Brighton 2015

Bit disappointed I haven't improved on my 5K time, but I've been focusing more on (very slowly) increasing my distances. Extremely optimistic goals for 2015 are a sub 19 minute 5K, sub 42 10K and a sub 1:30 half marathon. But given that I also swim and bike, not sure I'll be able to dedicate enough time and effort to achieve either of these, let alone have the ability.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the middle aged. Mid pack plodding department :

5k - 22.11, Clair Park, Feb 14
10k - can't remember the last time I did one
Half marathon - 1.36, Brighton, 2011 or 12
Marathon - 3.43, Edinburgh
London to Brighton (63.5 miles) - 14.50, 2013

Don't race much at all, only really interested in long distance stuff but have signed up with a new coach to help me get to the SDW100 next year. Been injured most of 2014 so desperate to get back running, coach will be including loads of speedwork so hope to get times down a bit.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Meanwhile, back in Amateur Tubster land......

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. New shoes will be the first thing I get when I'm paid. The park runs are a little harder as they are right when my son has football practice AND my daughter her swimming lessons. It's already a stressful time of week but who knows, I might get another parent to do the drops and pickups a couple of times. I've got to get to 5k first. On which note....

Today I went for my run at early lunchtime. I warmed up as Dazzer suggested. I had got about half a mile from the house when I realised I had no kind of drink and no kind of money with me and I was going to have to do without on route hydration. I carried on anyway and got as far as I am normally comfortable from the house when I got a dreaded stitch. Fumbled for the keys in my pocket which I gripped like a man at a Revenge after party and pushed on and it went away! Then I hit the headwind. That wasn't much fun.

Anyway, on the basis of No Pain No Gain i continued and it got easier again and I just kept going. Net result? Best distance, calories burned and time since I started again, despite being a drinkless, key-fumbling wally.

I feel great just typing this. Endorphines eh?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Meanwhile, back in Amateur Tubster land......

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. New shoes will be the first thing I get when I'm paid. The park runs are a little harder as they are right when my son has football practice AND my daughter her swimming lessons. It's already a stressful time of week but who knows, I might get another parent to do the drops and pickups a couple of times. I've got to get to 5k first. On which note....

Today I went for my run at early lunchtime. I warmed up as Dazzer suggested. I had got about half a mile from the house when I realised I had no kind of drink and no kind of money with me and I was going to have to do without on route hydration. I carried on anyway and got as far as I am normally comfortable from the house when I got a dreaded stitch. Fumbled for the keys in my pocket which I gripped like a man at a Revenge after party and pushed on and it went away! Then I hit the headwind. That wasn't much fun.

Anyway, on the basis of No Pain No Gain i continued and it got easier again and I just kept going. Net result? Best distance, calories burned and time since I started again, despite being a drinkless, key-fumbling wally.

I feel great just typing this. Endorphines eh?

This is Brilliant !! Great stuff. How long were you out for ? This time of year I wouldn't take water for anything under an hour at a steady pace, just have a couple of glasses before I go (and when I get back). Stitch can be a bu@@er, had many a nice run ruined by it and not found a cure yet. I'll try keys next time :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is Brilliant !! Great stuff. How long were you out for ? This time of year I wouldn't take water for anything under an hour at a steady pace, just have a couple of glasses before I go (and when I get back). Stitch can be a bu@@er, had many a nice run ruined by it and not found a cure yet. I'll try keys next time :)

Only half an hour so I will stick to that advice too. I always had a drink with me when I ran before but that was in Asia, not Hove in November. Just over 2 and a half miles in that time which I wouldn't have got near before and 300 calories burned which is good as we're out at a racenight tonight!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here