Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Managed a rare 10K last night: 46.32 and a significant improvement on other efforts this season.

I've been checking out the Weakest Link and it's still saying that it'll be on the 1st or the 8th. I'm assuming the 1st is now out of the question.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I have some Currys vouchers that are part of our rewards system at work that I need to use up and want some advice on running watches. Money not really an object as have loads of vouchers. I run 3 times a week. Average park runner (around 23 mins). Run 10Ks and half marathons occasionally (anyone doing Barns Green this year). Any thoughts appreciated.

I picked up the Garmin Forerunner 245 on a good deal. Previously I had the 235 and both watches have been excellent and served me well.

I’m running BG HM too.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Managed a rare 10K last night: 46.32 and a significant improvement on other efforts this season.

I've been checking out the Weakest Link and it's still saying that it'll be on the 1st or the 8th. I'm assuming the 1st is now out of the question.

I can’t see either dates being on at this stage. The 8th is days away from the Brighton Marathon which would massively restrict numbers.

I’d imagine it will be 2022 until we see the Weakest Link back.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

The simplest thing would be for me to concede and admit you're a much better runner......................
**** that, I'll use you as motivation. Got out on little hills this week for the first time in 3 months. All went well.
Then decided to lose some weight to gain 12-15 seconds for every pound. That failed as I got so hungry I was eating double at lunchtime. A return to swimming really triggered the appetite. I'm still looking at getting to 11 stone from 11 stone 4 pounds over 2 months.
Have 2 more Parkruns left, on the Prom and one at Stranraer. I reckon the best time from those will be a marker for taking 30 seconds off by my birthday at the end of October.

As you can see you've unsettled me and made me a shivering wreck of failure.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The simplest thing would be for me to concede and admit you're a much better runner......................
**** that, I'll use you as motivation. Got out on little hills this week for the first time in 3 months. All went well.
Then decided to lose some weight to gain 12-15 seconds for every pound. That failed as I got so hungry I was eating double at lunchtime. A return to swimming really triggered the appetite. I'm still looking at getting to 11 stone from 11 stone 4 pounds over 2 months.
Have 2 more Parkruns left, on the Prom and one at Stranraer. I reckon the best time from those will be a marker for taking 30 seconds off by my birthday at the end of October.

As you can see you've unsettled me and made me a shivering wreck of failure.

By something of a coincidence, and at the risk of sparking a total psychological breakdown, I got on the scales after an interval session this morning and discovered that for the first time in quite a while, I was under 10 stone, if only by half a pound.

I'm planning to run at Bognor PR on Saturday. This is flat, doesn't tend to get too much wind but is twisty, narrow and crowded. I think I counted something like 28 corners.

Now, repeat after me "I'll be back!"...................

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
By something of a coincidence, and at the risk of sparking a total psychological breakdown, I got on the scales after an interval session this morning and discovered that for the first time in quite a while, I was under 10 stone, if only by half a pound.

I'm planning to run at Bognor PR on Saturday. This is flat, doesn't tend to get too much wind but is twisty, narrow and crowded. I think I counted something like 28 corners.

Now, repeat after me "I'll be back!"...................

PS birthdays are good. Mine is on the 27th December - but there's no bloody Parkruns until 1st Jan so it'll do me no good for this years times. Curses!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I picked up the Garmin Forerunner 245 on a good deal. Previously I had the 235 and both watches have been excellent and served me well.

I’m running BG HM too.

I recently made exactly the same upgrade. Both great watches. Good GPS tracking, great battery life and the buttons make it very easy to use.

My 235 is 4 years old and still going strong. Which reminds me, I still need to try and sell it on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
By something of a coincidence, and at the risk of sparking a total psychological breakdown, I got on the scales after an interval session this morning and discovered that for the first time in quite a while, I was under 10 stone, if only by half a pound.....

And we’re off
8A44659C-14D8-4508-9B95-0C131E7E39C8.jpeg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Bognor Parkrun - 21.48/77.68% age grade. About right on that course. 18th across the line which is better than usual; 3rd on age grade (just over 200 running).
No [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] run today? Crocked, mate? Hope not.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bognor Parkrun - 21.48/77.68% age grade. About right on that course. 18th across the line which is better than usual; 3rd on age grade (just over 200 running).
No [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] run today? Crocked, mate? Hope not.

Good running GNT and a change of scene.
I'm sort of "crook" but nothing more than a sore achilles. (For 3 months I've been working on the right calf and neglecting the left, so it obviously went sore). Avoided Parkrun as I would have ran through pain if in a good position.

Woke up expecting to run and was amazed that my unused adrenaline made me a right knocky ****.
At 9 bumped into the Estate Agent doing a viewing at a problem airbnb/party house 2 cottages along. "Good luck" I shouted and then said because the owner is a f**c**r.
5 minutes later walked by the man himself grinning inanely at my wife and myself. "Monkey" shot out of my mouth before I could stop it.
The wife is not impresssed so I better do Parkrun next week, especially as we'll be in Scotland.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ashton Court parkrun in Bristol this week. A straight out and back in a beautiful park BUT, something I haven’t experienced before, the first 2.5km is all uphill - 104m according to my Garmin (and some of it quite steep) whereas the reverse is of course all downhill. Anyone who fails to get a negative split on this course must be doing something very odd!!

I slightly underestimated the uphill (plus effects of an excellent Bristol Caribbean meal on Friday night) and laboured to the top. Came in at 22:25, 51st/407 but won my age category - which I am telling myself is the most important measure.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good running GNT and a change of scene.
I'm sort of "crook" but nothing more than a sore achilles. (For 3 months I've been working on the right calf and neglecting the left, so it obviously went sore). Avoided Parkrun as I would have ran through pain if in a good position.

Woke up expecting to run and was amazed that my unused adrenaline made me a right knocky ****.
At 9 bumped into the Estate Agent doing a viewing at a problem airbnb/party house 2 cottages along. "Good luck" I shouted and then said because the owner is a f**c**r.
5 minutes later walked by the man himself grinning inanely at my wife and myself. "Monkey" shot out of my mouth before I could stop it.
The wife is not impresssed so I better do Parkrun next week, especially as we'll be in Scotland.

I think a holiday is called for..................

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have some Currys vouchers that are part of our rewards system at work that I need to use up and want some advice on running watches. Money not really an object as have loads of vouchers. I run 3 times a week. Average park runner (around 23 mins). Run 10Ks and half marathons occasionally (anyone doing Barns Green this year). Any thoughts appreciated.

I have had a Garmin 235 for a number of years and have no complaints, in fact I have recommended it to a few runners who are now equally satisfied users.

I first decided all I wanted was a high quality, solid, simple watch to track my HR, running pace, time and distance and also help with interval training. There are many other watches out there which do a lot more but personally I didn’t see a need for any additional functionality.....and the associated extra complexity. I settled on the Garmin 235. I believe the 245 is the updated version.

9 mile run just now. Outside chance of cracking 4 hours for a marathon next week for the first time, which for a bloke my age is the holy grail, my best is 4:38 so I’d have to go some but my training is suggesting somewhere between 4 and 415

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A lot of you know my feelings about 10k races but I do make an exception sometimes [emoji1787][emoji1360]
d636bd9b5d64f08a2f59b7857e4d83eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
All the very best to all the NSC Runners running Brighton next Sunday! Make the most of resting and banking the sleep over the coming week, the work is done. :clap2: Hopefully conditions will be decent for a fun long run. Go get it and enjoy!

Also good luck to the few that I know that are doing Berlin in a couple of weeks! :ascarf:

Anyone joining me on the London fun bus in 4 weeks?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No marathons for me until Beachy - not sure how that's going to go because 10 miles is the furthest I've been for a few months.

Good luck to everyone for next Sunday - hope it's a bit cooler than it was this morning [emoji3062][emoji3062]

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just looked up the result of CTH 10k – 95th place and 46:57! [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], please could you put that into the table? I don't like the incomplete numbers I've got at the moment! On a related note, I was trying to look up Bright10 results – where I got my 1:13 something – but no luck. Anyone know where I can find them?

Also, please could you add a modest 23:36 for parkrun/5k? I'm hoping for a bit of improvement on that throughout the season!

Finally, I saw a tweet from the Moyleman team about news coming soon ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here