Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Pretty pleased. Some might remember right i posted a while back that I was starting running after a long lay off. It has been just shy of 3 months now, I have to say I am loving every minute of it. The first few weeks were rather rough and constant pain for the following days. I had come from smoking 20 a day drinking regular and not giving much thought to my diet. I feel embarrassed just writing that about myself. The first run I did was 2.7km. I had to stop about 4 times, and I have no idea how long it took me. Anyway, here I am now. I am lucky enough to live where they offer a 10k league throughout the year for extra motivation. I am now running 10k runs 3-4 times a week, and my times are getting faster and faster. I was thinking of starting to do more distance, but don't want to pick up any serious injuries. I'm happy with the distance I'm doing now. But I know in the future I will want to up it. Any suggestions how to approach this?
I said on here last week that I did my IT band about 6-7 years ago when I was running a lot. So a bit worried about that again.

Thanks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pretty pleased. Some might remember right i posted a while back that I was starting running after a long lay off. It has been just shy of 3 months now, I have to say I am loving every minute of it. The first few weeks were rather rough and constant pain for the following days. I had come from smoking 20 a day drinking regular and not giving much thought to my diet. I feel embarrassed just writing that about myself. The first run I did was 2.7km. I had to stop about 4 times, and I have no idea how long it took me. Anyway, here I am now. I am lucky enough to live where they offer a 10k league throughout the year for extra motivation. I am now running 10k runs 3-4 times a week, and my times are getting faster and faster. I was thinking of starting to do more distance, but don't want to pick up any serious injuries. I'm happy with the distance I'm doing now. But I know in the future I will want to up it. Any suggestions how to approach this?
I said on here last week that I did my IT band about 6-7 years ago when I was running a lot. So a bit worried about that again.

Thanks.

Great story, well done. Re ITB, can't recommend highly enough getting a foam roller and using it every day, even if you're not having trouble. Can hurt a bit but should stop and problems arising. If you can, get a sports massage every so often as well.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath

Thanks.

Agree with what dazzer said above. Also there's some good stretches for your IT band. They say that you shouldn't increase your distance more than 10% a week.

I have got more injuries doing short fast runs, than longer slow runs. But everyone's different.....

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath

Thanks.

This is how I use the foam roller for my IT band

http://youtu.be/RoHBDim_fzk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thanks.

Great story. Well done. And if you're running those distances 3-4 times a week then I see no reason why increasing your distance will be an issue as long as you do it sensibly and stretch etc.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Ok........but better to use all your bodyweight if you can (ie rest your upper leg fully on the one on the roller)

That can be painful though. I think the idea of the other leg on the floor is to take some weight off if it hurts to much. I have to take a bit of weight off, or I can't do it

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Thanks everyone. Going to invest in a foam roller this weekend then.
I used one when I was younger and I remember it being very painful, but Meg's always felt so much better.

Lazy question I know. Much chance of picking a foam roller up in a running shop, or best to order online?

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
I used one when I was younger and I remember it being very painful, but Meg's always felt so much better.

Lazy question I know. Much chance of picking a foam roller up in a running shop, or best to order online?

Got mine off eBay for a tenner including delivery!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Who is Meg ?!

My physio sold me mine, but loads available on Amazon.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Just enjoyed a nice 13km along the coast from Sorrento. The views of Vesuvius and Capri helped take my mind off the hills!
Hope any runners going to Tottenham tonight have a good time, let's hope for a sneaky one goal win to turn our season round.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
...and I'm just about to go up Boundary Road on a gloomy grey morning.....

I'll be around that area at midday on my pre Spurs run. Going to try a Fartlek session today as recently I've been lucky to get 2 runs in a week which means I've restricted myself to having one longish run and a speed run of between 5/10k. I'm off work and injuries have cleared up which meant I managed 4 runs in 8 days last week.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Mrs Bobkin went walking today, so no rain to contend with for me. Hoping for better weather tomorrow morning. Haven't decided what to do, but I just need to get some miles in the bank.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here