Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Official NFL Thread 2022/23

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Seeing the Bills do well makes me think of the late Kevin Cadle who was always getting stick from others for being a Bills fan when they were perennial strugglers. He would have loved seeing this team.
Having semi-randomly chosen Buffalo as my team after attending their game against Philidelphia at Wembley in 1991 (well, I couldn't support a team called Eagles, could I?!), I was used to regular Superbowl appearances. That didn't last long. All looking good now, though, not a disimilar trajectory to the Albion come to think of it.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
... I'm skeptical about Miami not fielding Tua/Mostert etc - I reckon they'll do everything to patch them up ...
Tua is in stage 3 of the concussion protocol, I believe he needs 3 doctors to agree that he is ready to move to stage 4, then agree that he can move to stage 5. What doctor would agree to that? Tua has likely had 3 concussions this year already, what 3 doctors would take the risk and approve him for play? Bills center Mitch Morse has 6 in his career and many of us Bills fans are hoping he retires, just too much risk to long term health.

I can't see it happening, especially with the league desperately not wanting the spectacle of another injured player after Damar Hamlin.

Mostert has a severe break in his thumb, even if they find a way to put him on the field there is no way he is comfortable or able to secure the ball all game.

And I believe Tyreek pulled himself from the last game as his ankle was bothering him too much. No doubt he starts but the ankle has bothered him for weeks now, not unreasonable to assume he is not 100% for Sunday.

Is Derek Carr really that bad?
Won’t they take a salary cap hit as he only signed a new contract last year?
No he's not. But he is very much in that middle ground of a good enough QB to start for most teams, but not good enough if you have ambitions to really compete at the top end of the league. And after nine years, two play-off appearances (albeit only one he got to play in due to his injury late in 2016) and zero play-off wins...many Raiders fans are just ready for a change. Reports suggesting that the coaching staff had lost faith in him quite early in the season, and that Stidham ran the offence much more consistently against the 49ers than Carr had all season was the final nail in the coffin.

Don't doubt he'd be a perfect fit for a team like the Jets who are just crying out for some consistent QB play, but JMD & Ziegler are being allowed to do things their way by Mark Davis and they want to go in a different direction. It might go belly up, but I'd rather we try something different and have more money to invest in our paper thin Defence than be paying $35-40m for the same decent-to-middle of the road QB play.

Essentially the contract he signed was for multiple years, but has an easy out after Year 1. Can be cut/traded before Feb 15th and we'd only have a dead cap hit of $5m on the 2023 cap.

Not surprised. Plenty of mistakes made both on and off the field. A decent finish to the season, but too little too late for me.

The 4 games in which we avoided defeat this season were all against fellow AFC South teams. That speaks volumes.

With the 2nd and 12th pick, we can't afford to mess up for a 3rd season.
TBH, it felt inevitable from the moment he was hired that Lovie would be one and done Head Coach.

He was never McNair and Jack Easterby's (when he was still in the building) first choice. They were definitely all in on hiring Josh McCown, but they knew the optics of hiring someone who had only coached at the High School level would have looked awful when at the same time Brian Flores launched his lawsuit against the NFL and multiple teams for racial discrimination in hiring practices.

The names linked with the HC job right now look to have a much more long term feel about them. Issue is if Bryce Young is the guy the new staff want to target, they may need to either make the move up to #1 themselves or risk being gazumped by someone willing to throw more draft capital at the Bears for the 1st pick.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Having semi-randomly chosen Buffalo as my team after attending their game against Philidelphia at Wembley in 1991 (well, I couldn't support a team called Eagles, could I?!), I was used to regular Superbowl appearances. That didn't last long. All looking good now, though, not a disimilar trajectory to the Albion come to think of it.
Yes you could. i take it you don’t go anywhere near areas like Scotland that have eagles flying around either? I never understand this nonsense. It’s a bloody American football team…it has as much to do with CP as I have to do with sexing geese!
A84CA58E-0884-4CC1-835B-B7D06F0849D4.png

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not sure if getting a bye in the next playoff rounds is a good thing in the long run…nothing like playing for maintaining form. Still can’t argue with 14/3 and home field advantage.

watching the sky daily NFL morning show, this lady reporter was absolutely killing the Cowgirls suggesting she had never seen a more one trick pony side

it’s hotting up!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Chargers v Jaguars could be the match-up of the weekend imo. Both with QBs in form, great running games, and strong defenses.
It'll be a much different result to week 3 (hopefully!) when the Jags ran out 38-10 winners, and I can see it coming down to who has the ball last this time.

s-l1600.jpg

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Yes you could. i take it you don’t go anywhere near areas like Scotland that have eagles flying around either? I never understand this nonsense. It’s a bloody American football team…it has as much to do with CP as I have to do with sexing geese!
View attachment 155637

Clearly I’ve hit a nerve here 😆

Appreciate it’s somewhat illogical, but it was my instinct at the time when faced with an either/or choice between Bills and Eagles.

For similar reasons, I would never consider owning a Barcelona shirt.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Chargers v Jaguars could be the match-up of the weekend imo. Both with QBs in form, great running games, and strong defenses.
It'll be a much different result to week 3 (hopefully!) when the Jags ran out 38-10 winners, and I can see it coming down to who has the ball last this time.

View attachment 155638
Love both these teams. As an Oregon fan I am #TeamHerbert all the way but I am also pleased to see Trevor Lawrence live up to his potential. I agree this should be a belter, really looking forward to it.

Also Washington fired Scott Turner, great early off season news! Ron was always likely to stay given the ownership situation so I am glad we are looking to change up the offense for next year.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
View attachment 155637
Yes but it’s not like you’re going to walk around Brighton with ‘Eagles’ on a t-shirt even if it’s green and unrelated is it or is it? I mean of course theyre unrelated to each other than both having their marketing and merch referring to them as ‘Eagles’. :) 😬🫣

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes but it’s not like you’re going to walk around Brighton with ‘Eagles’ on a t-shirt even if it’s green and unrelated is it or is it? I mean of course theyre unrelated to each other than both having their marketing and merch referring to them as ‘Eagles’. :) 😬🫣
Of course I do. I have a hoodie with eagles all over it and my chosen warm headgear is an eagles winning Super Bowl hat which I wear to the Albion too…it’s warm.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Of course I do. I have a hoodie with eagles all over it and my chosen warm headgear is an eagles winning Super Bowl hat which I wear to the Albion too…it’s warm.
Very good, but you can understand that if an Albion fan had a free unattached choice of which of the 32 NFL teams to support, avoiding the Eagles is a legitimate one, or a team that plays in blue and red.....come to think of it, the Bills colours are Blue and Red, so that is another one to avoid! ha ha.

I don't have an NFL team, I just kind of watch it unattached. Perhaps I should dive in and commit to following someone...who plays in stripes?? 😁

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very good, but you can understand that if an Albion fan had a free unattached choice of which of the 32 NFL teams to support, avoiding the Eagles is a legitimate one, or a team that plays in blue and red.....come to think of it, the Bills colours are Blue and Red, so that is another one to avoid! ha ha.

I don't have an NFL team, I just kind of watch it unattached. Perhaps I should dive in and commit to following someone...who plays in stripes?? 😁
Initially I toyed with the idea of supporting the Seahawks as it was the nearest thing to Seagulls. However I ended up with Cleveland as my work colleague was a Steelers fan and I wanted to support their rivals so we could have a bit in banter in the office. Interestingly he was into the NFL before Channel 4 broadcast it as he'd met the legendary Steelers QB, Terry Bradshaw, on holiday in about 1978. At the time he had no interest in the NFL, but got chatting to this very nice man in a hotel lobby who'd heard his accent and asked if he was over for the game. He said no, just a driving holiday, and the man then told him some places to visit. It was only after they'd parted that an excitable bellhop told him who the bloke was and explained why he was famous. He followed their results since that time, even getting a shortwave radio to listen the the American Forces Network. (I've been condemned to Cleveland ever since. Why couldn't he have met Dan Marino?).

Anyway nowt wrong with supporting a team called the Eagles. I too have supported a sports team called the Eagles .... the legendary Speedway stars, the Eastbourne Eagles.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
...even getting a shortwave radio to listen the the American Forces Network.

Them were the days.

Ch4 highlights from the week before at 6pm with your tea, then getting into bed about 9pm and trying to listen to a game "live" through AFN on your Walkman, while you moved it around at arms length trying to get a good signal. The times you did (usually only about 5 mins) it was the best thing ever...actually hearing an NFL game called in real time from the other side of the world.

How things have changed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
View attachment 155637
Same name.
All counts
Shameful….. Publius 😃
(Leave the geese alone)

Incidentally, see you scraped by our back-ups 😉

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Them were the days.

Ch4 highlights from the week before at 6pm with your tea, then getting into bed about 9pm and trying to listen to a game "live" through AFN on your Walkman, while you moved it around at arms length trying to get a good signal. The times you did (usually only about 5 mins) it was the best thing ever...actually hearing an NFL game called in real time from the other side of the world.

How things have changed.
They were indeed.

Used to love the Armed Forces Radio and Television Network…… was it 747 long wave?

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
They were indeed.

Used to love the Armed Forces Radio and Television Network…… was it 747 long wave?
Is it still possible to pick up game coverage on the radio
I seem to recall stumbling across a game one Sunday night
probably during the Withdean years at a guess time wise
whilst out fishing

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Cincy have stripes 😉 more like old skool Luton colours though
albeit on the head protection 🤣🤣

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Is it still possible to pick up game coverage on the radio
I seem to recall stumbling across a game one Sunday night
probably during the Withdean years at a guess time wise
whilst out fishing
Radio 5 and Talkshite both cover NFL games. I used to listen to some of the US local radio stations online but then NFL stopped them being broadcast so they could push people to use AudioPass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here