Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
In a Lewes pub, some old cretin who looks like a CAMRA sort just complained about his (half-drunk) pint in that "I'm not complaining, but is it meant to taste like that?" way.

Beard, flowery shirt, crap beard. Asked about barrels and pipes.

Got a free pint out of it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Old Star is open today . . .no idea whats on offer this week, I had a pint of Dark star APA in the Duke 'walking the dog' yesterday . . . . first one this year I think.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
In a Lewes pub, some old cretin who looks like a CAMRA sort just complained about his (half-drunk) pint in that "I'm not complaining, but is it meant to taste like that?" way.

Beard, flowery shirt, crap beard. Asked about barrels and pipes.

Got a free pint out of it.

Arguably a CAMRA member will know what they're ordering

I am also a CAMRA member

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I paid 8.70 for a Verdatt Front Car Sight Exhibition 8% Dipa 400ml can.

I just look at it.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
UntitledBrewDog-Schorschbräu-Strength-in-Numbers-1200x640.jpg

BrewDog & Schorschbräu Unleash One Of The World’s Strongest Beers :drool:
https://www.bosshunting.com.au/vice...u-strength-in-nymbers-worlds-strongest-beers/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People often ask what craft beer is, including posters in this thread. And there’s a number of responses which have merit. In today’s Guardian the term third-wave is explained and, whilst most commonly used to describe coffee, it can be applied to craft beer imho.

10 The third waves
The term “third wave” was first used in 2003 to describe the rise of independent speciality coffee shops – the second wave had been big chains such as Starbucks, the first wave had been … well, coffee. Third wave shops encouraged a greater concentration on the skills of the barista and the use of single estate coffees or new brewing techniques.

Third wave could also describe a pattern of appreciation that has occurred throughout the food world in the last couple of decades. A second wave resurgence as the public rediscover a product, then a third wave as food nerds focus on it more deeply. We’re in the middle of third waves of bread, fermentation, natural wines, tea, gin and craft beer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I paid 8.70 for a Verdatt Front Car Sight Exhibition 8% Dipa 400ml can.

I just look at it.

I could get 8 cans of Scrumpy Jack for that, insanity.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I could get 8 cans of Scrumpy Jack for that, insanity.

In a way , yes I agree the over pricing of Craft Beer in smaller bottles is just marketing exploitation
But occasionally some of these products as a treat are very nice Something to be savoured
It’s all a matter of what you like really Whichever tipple it may be
If you just want effect SJ does the job cost effectively

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In a way , yes I agree the over pricing of Craft Beer in smaller bottles is just marketing exploitation
But occasionally some of these products as a treat are very nice Something to be savoured
It’s all a matter of what you like really Whichever tipple it may be
If you just want effect SJ does the job cost effectively

It's pretty despicable these days, go to Belgium ( If only we could ! ) and in the supermarkets you get a superb range of beers mostly under 1.5 Euro's a bottle. When last I went,even the Westvletteren 12 ( Best Beer IN The World) was still affordable at the café opposite the monastery.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
It's pretty despicable these days, go to Belgium ( If only we could ! ) and in the supermarkets you get a superb range of beers mostly under 1.5 Euro's a bottle. When last I went,even the Westvletteren 12 ( Best Beer IN The World) was still affordable at the café opposite the monastery.

From that perspective I see your point Only sampled the beers available in the French supermarket s in relatively recent times But I concur Only getting worse since Brexit
But that's another discussion dealt with elsewhere

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here