Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Did anyone make it to The Star's aged, strong and dark beer festival at the weekend?

Some cracking beers on - highlights were a 2014 Burning Sky Monolith, Beavertown Power of the Voodoo Triple IPA, a 2013 Dark Star Imperial Stout and the last cask of Hastings stout before they focus on keg offerings.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Io
You may have already seen some of these, but they do make for interesting drinking.

The Malt and Mold is an interesting place – part store (cheeses etc) and bar. I really like it – and they do good sandwiches http://www.maltandmold.com/#!gramercy-home/c1ir6

I’ve only really discovered Tap Room 307 recently (3[SUP]rd[/SUP] between 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] and 24[SUP]th[/SUP]). http://www.taproom307.com/ but it’s become one of my favorites – over 40 beers on tap and a “Beer Rewards” programme – a must. Can get packed but they seem to cope. Great pulled pork sandwiches.

The Cannibal on 113 East 29[SUP]th[/SUP] is another bar / shop – seems to be a NYC thing. Apparently named after Eddy Merckx. Not cheap but has lots and lots of bottled Belgian beers and Timothy Taylor Landlord which was a favourite of mine in the UK. http://www.cannibalnyc.com/

Bit further afield - With a name like the Albion Bar you need to pay a visit - not in Grammercy (it’s on 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 32[SUP]nd[/SUP]) but worth the hike, great choice of craft beers and extended happy hours, has Fullers ESB if you’re feeling homesick.

Rattle and Hum is a nice little boozer, on 33[SUP]rd[/SUP] between Madison and 5[SUP]th[/SUP]. It’s got about 40 beers on tap and 90 different bottled beers, so should be able to find something you like. http://www.rattlenhumbarnyc.com/home

Made Rattle n Hum and the Taproom. Both excellent and as the taproom was local it was a pleasant stagger back. The food was pretty good as well and as you said......pretty packed in there. Drunk so many pumpkin beers I forgot which ones were best. Blind Tiger on Bleecker had 12. Thanks for the tips.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Made Rattle n Hum and the Taproom. Both excellent and as the taproom was local it was a pleasant stagger back. The food was pretty good as well and as you said......pretty packed in there. Drunk so many pumpkin beers I forgot which ones were best. Blind Tiger on Bleecker had 12. Thanks for the tips.

Glad you enjoyed them. Watched the Brighton v Leeds game in Banter in Williamsburg on Saturday. When we first arrived the game wasn't showing, but spoke to the Landlord, who was a scouser, who said all the big screens were reserved for the Prem games (which is fair enough) but he brought out his laptop and put the game on that which was much appreciated. First time there but good atmosphere with a lot of genuine supporters from other clubs who game over and chatted when they saw the Albion shirts, also Fullers ESB at $5 a bottle

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Burton-Upon-Trent - The home of brewing.
Just returned from my 60th Birthday bash which involved three days of drinking around 30 different ales. Anyone close to or visiting this area can I highly recommend a visit to the Coopers Tavern, a real gem and a great night. The pub is like an old house with front room, back room and the bar is out the back in what would be a small kitchen. Barrels racked up and a few more beers on tap. One barman (no room for more) with a queue of 6 on average but no one moans. Oh and the toilets are as bad as you can imagine, all outside.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
http://corneliusbeers.com/call-me-deviant/

figpuckpic.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Had a decent drop in Craft Beer Co on Sunday, a lovely Saison from Ale-Mania. Whopping 6.8%, which I did not realise until I had ordered a pint !

Slightly strange beer, almost tasted like champagne or wine.

Just had 48 beers delivered from Brewdog too. Decent stock up of Punk and Dead Pony, 12 bottles of their prototype set, some of the cans of their Albino Squid, Vagabond Pale Ale & a few Candy Kaiser.

Should keep me busy

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Couple of splendid Mikkeller's on at The Evening Star

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 194
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 206
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 197

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Evening Star had the wonderful Earl Grey IPA from Marble Brewery on keg yesterday. A very fine beer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, it was all about The Wild Beer Co last night.

First up was a very smooth well balanced and toned down Madness IPA so set the tone. Then it was onto the more creative beers:

Wild Beer / Burning Sky / Good George (3 way collaboration) Shnoodlepip – 6.5% – Pink Pepper Barrel aged Passion Fruit and Hibiscus saison.

Then

A Wild Beer Co and Hobbs Bakery collaboration called Wild Beer Sourdough. Loosely based on a Berliner Weisse style. they have used a 58 year old sourdough culture and a little brettanomyces and put the beer straight into oak barrels for its primary fermentation. It had been slowly fermenting, maturing and souring for 4 months in the barrels and continued to evolve and develop in the bottle.

Alles gut

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

First up was a very smooth well balanced and toned down Madness IPA so set the tone. Then it was onto the more creative beers:

Wild Beer / Burning Sky / Good George (3 way collaboration) Shnoodlepip – 6.5% – Pink Pepper Barrel aged Passion Fruit and Hibiscus saison.

Then

A Wild Beer Co and Hobbs Bakery collaboration called Wild Beer Sourdough. Loosely based on a Berliner Weisse style. they have used a 58 year old sourdough culture and a little brettanomyces and put the beer straight into oak barrels for its primary fermentation. It had been slowly fermenting, maturing and souring for 4 months in the barrels and continued to evolve and develop in the bottle.

Alles gut

Sounds fantastic. Oddly, the Shnoodlepip was available at the Dripping Pan at last year's REMF; not quite to my taste but very interesting and innovative.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012

Then

Alles gut
Is the wild beer co the one from Shepton Mallet? If it is they have a great little Brewery with loads of interesting beers and you can fill your own container with whatever beers on tap. They do lovely cheddars too, beautiful part of the world with some great camping spots near too, beer and cider heaven around there :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Craft Beer Co got some beers on from Siren Craft brewery.
Some very interesting convos. The Calypso looks like orange juice and a very sour beer. Lovely stuff while the missus is in Primark

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Had a superb Saisson from Almanac in Brewdog on Wednesday. Pricey but worth it ...7.2%.
The Hefeweissen was excellent as well.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just gone through my untappd app from Friday night. I had a Arcade Nation from Brewdog which must have passed me by as a release. Black IPA and very nice it was

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here