Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Black IPA's never get a chance compared to the Pales,ask Sol Campbell.

Just trying a Notting Hill Red from the Moncarda Brewery, London. Described as sweet, malty and very hoppy. It's all those and at 6% it's hides it nicely. Bottle conditioned. It's supposedly got American hops ? Definitely a dry chocolate finish though.

It's not sure what it is and neither am I although not unpleasant.
Unfortunately not strong enough to make this Pompey game entertaining either.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I just don't get black IPA's.

is that a real thing someones trying to sell? why not call it porter, or is "IPA" so trendy now they can ignore the meaning of words :down:

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
PHP:
is that a real thing someones trying to sell? why not call it porter, or is "IPA" so trendy now they can ignore the meaning of words :down:

Dark beers have certain characteristics as do IPA's but trying to combine then just doesn't work IMO. They don't taste anything like porters Beorhthelm....... If they did I wouldn't mind.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Yeah, where? What? Why? etc.
It was the Tin Drum in Hove.
Complete makeover and rotisseries fitted for the chicken menu. Work in progress but looks awesome from what I saw. It'll be like a 'bar & canteen' feel to it.
The beer should be great too. Still to be decided but 5 or 6 different lagers. Think Camden Hells, Cruzcampo, Meantime, Burning Sky and you'll get the picture.
The bottles will also be mainly craft beer.
Opens in 5 weeks.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Complete makeover and rotisseries fitted for the chicken menu. Work in progress but looks awesome from what I saw. It'll be like a 'bar & canteen' feel to it.
The beer should be great too. Still to be decided but 5 or 6 different lagers. Think Camden Hells, Cruzcampo, Meantime, Burning Sky and you'll get the picture.
Opens in 5 weeks.

Wow ! revolutionary idea ! This is going to tear up the rule book.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I'm on my annual ski trip, Verbier this year. Usual lousy choice of fizzy Euro pop in most bars, as is to be expected. But wait, last night in Pub Mont Fort they had a small, but very wecome, craft beer section featuring Sierra Nevada, Flying Dog, Brooklyn Lager and your very own Brew Dog Punk IPA. So a pleasant evening ensued. Being Stateside these days I'm well familar with the first three offerings but it was my Punk Dog debut, and well impressed I was too. Up there with the best.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm on my annual ski trip, Verbier this year. Usual lousy choice of fizzy Euro pop in most bars, as is to be expected. But wait, last night in Pub Mont Fort they had a small, but very wecome, craft beer section featuring Sierra Nevada, Flying Dog, Brooklyn Lager and your very own Brew Dog Punk IPA. So a pleasant evening ensued. Being Stateside these days I'm well familar with the first three offerings but it was my Punk Dog debut, and well impressed I was too. Up there with the best.

Welcome to the world of Brewdog Cesar. Punk IPA is their signature/flag ship beer and mighty fine it is too. Hopefully we will get to meet in London some time soon and I can take you to a Brewdog pub. Maybe a NSC London Craft Crawl?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

At this point I am somewhat confused. You don't like the majors taking over craft brewers, but rejoice when in Switzerland you are offered "global" craft brands ? It seems to me the equivalent of slagging off McDonalds and then going half way around the world and eating in the Hard Rock Cafe. I don't doubt the burgers are better and more expensive, I just think it is unfortunate that there was not more local choice with appeal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Opens in 5 weeks.

Thanks for the heads up. Out of interest this is the second former Tin Drum venue to convert to a craft bar. Is this their new direction or is it new owners?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
At this point I am somewhat confused. You don't like the majors taking over craft brewers, but rejoice when in Switzerland you are offered "global" craft brands ? It seems to me the equivalent of slagging off McDonalds and then going half way around the world and eating in the Hard Rock Cafe. I don't doubt the burgers are better and more expensive, I just think it is unfortunate that there was not more local choice with appeal.

I think we are months away from people deciding that Brewdog has got too big and they never liked them anyway. They will the new Arctic Monkeys

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think you’re being deliberately obtuse. Are you really trying to suggest that a handful of imported bottles from a small/medium sized brewery based at a single site in say Brooklyn equate to a global brand similar to a behomoth world-straddling brand like McDonalds? And at the moment if you want to drink craft in some places you have to import as they do not brew it themselves.

As for your latter point about more local choice, craft is relatively new or non-existent in a lot of countries. It stands to reason there will be little local choice. But, this is changing.

I'm considering getting a NSC London Craft Crawl organised. Come along.

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think you’re being deliberately obtuse. Are you really trying to suggest that a handful of imported bottles from a small/medium sized brewery based at a single site in say Brooklyn equate to a global brand similar to a behomoth world-straddling brand like McDonalds? And at the moment if you want to drink craft in some places you have to import as they do not brew it themselves.

As for your latter point about more local choice, craft is relatively new or non-existent in a lot of countries. It stands to reason there will be little local choice. But, this is changing.

I'm considering getting a NSC London Craft Crawl organised. Come along.

I am suggesting that there are parallels between drinking Brooklyn Lager in Verbier and eating in the Hard Rock Cafe in Bangkok.

I've never been to Switzerland, and can only wonder what a Dr Gab's Chameau tastes like
http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/swisbrew.htm

Let me know time and place, I might be able to put in an appearance.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't interpret the information on that website too much as being what is currently gospel. I know the guy who runs it, and he hasn't updated it in years. It's probably accurate up to around 2005.

Is the guy who shares a name with a mass murderer?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Is the guy who shares a name with a mass murderer?

No, I've never actually met PS in person. Although I was the editor of his Berlin guide.

This guy's name is Ron (not a secret - he namechecks himself on that website). You'll find him any Saturday afternoon in a certain beer bar in Amsterdam.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, I've never actually met PS in person. Although I was the editor of his Berlin guide.
This guy's name is Ron (not a secret - he namechecks himself on that website). You'll find him any Saturday afternoon in a certain beer bar in Amsterdam.

Around Berlin in 100 beers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here