Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's on draught at the Wandering Goose!! At the moment on draught it's Yakima Red, Camden Hells, Punk IPA, Partridge, a couple of Darkstar, Saxon Lager and something else, plus a Cider. Top top place

Been in a couple of times and you're right, it's good. Had Dark Star six grain when I was in and that is average but good to see Punk in there. There signage outside is almost non existence though but I suppose once word gets around. Shame for him he has missed this summers trade. He had the Geese over in Brighton didn't he ? Up Southover ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He had the Geese over in Brighton didn't he ? Up Southover ?

Yep! I really need to go visit here, heard great things. He does need to publicise it a bit more, no one in Worthing I know has even acknowledged that the place is now a pub and open! Hope he survives though. Do they do food?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yep! I really need to go visit here, heard great things. He does need to publicise it a bit more, no one in Worthing I know has even acknowledged that the place is now a pub and open! Hope he survives though. Do they do food?

He does do food yes, tapas I think. I haven't tried the grub yet but might give it a go in a couple of weeks. I always think if you can make it in Worthing then you can make it anywhere. I asked him how it was all going the other night and he said things were good but come back and ask on a freezing cold Tuesday night in January. If he does good beer then I hope he does well. It's amazing even in this golden age of brewing how many pubs just sell the usual suspects of London Pride, Doombar, Abbots and the like. I know there's nothing offensive about any of them but there is so much more choice to be had nowadays. The thing is with The Wandering Goose it's got that bar feel to it rather than pub and a lot of people like that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Miller and Pabst - the hipsters favourite (not sure why, cheap?).

They do not have the maturity and discerning qualities of men like us Cesar. Their time will come, they will learn.

I look forward to the report.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I saw that - it is brilliant.

Have you tried their Xmas brews? Had 6 bottles of each turn up last week, so looking forward to a taste this weekend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw that - it is brilliant.

Have you tried their Xmas brews? Had 6 bottles of each turn up last week, so looking forward to a taste this weekend.

Not yet. I have a Brewdog package to pick up tonight which my brother and father sent. Maybe?

Which beers did you get?

I have a couple of bottles of their fine beer chilling for tonight when I get home though - Old World India Pale Ale and Old World Imperial Porter. Nice big bottles as well :wink:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not yet. I have a Brewdog package to pick up tonight which my brother and father sent. Maybe?

Which beers did you get?

I have a couple of bottles of their fine beer chilling for tonight when I get home though - Old World India Pale Ale and Old World Imperial Porter. Nice big bottles as well :wink:

Hoppy Christmas & Santa Paws.

Hoppy Christmas is a 7.2% Simcoe IPA, so nice and citrussy I guess, Santa Paws a 4.5% Baby Scotch Ale. Not sure what this will be like, but ideal for Boxing Day I think!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can't remember if I said either, but got a good delivery from the Saltaire Brewery. Excellent beers and the like on there, their triple chocolate stout is devine!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hoppy Christmas & Santa Paws.

Hoppy Christmas is a 7.2% Simcoe IPA, so nice and citrussy I guess, Santa Paws a 4.5% Baby Scotch Ale. Not sure what this will be like, but ideal for Boxing Day I think!

A good friend of mine had Hoppy Xmas last night and said it was excellent. My parcel contained some 5am Saint which I have before but this batch is really hitting the spot: fruity, hoppy, malty and cleanly bitter. It seems better than I remember it. Great brewery. Enjoy that Baby Scotch Ale.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't remember if I said either, but got a good delivery from the Saltaire Brewery. Excellent beers and the like on there, their triple chocolate stout is devine!

I love good strong stouts. I will look out for this.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
A good friend of mine had Hoppy Xmas last night and said it was excellent. My parcel contained some 5am Saint which I have before but this batch is really hitting the spot: fruity, hoppy, malty and cleanly bitter. It seems better than I remember it. Great brewery. Enjoy that Baby Scotch Ale.

Had 2 pints of Saint in the Wick last night. Lovely!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I had a few pints of Dark Star Coconut Porter the other night. This has to be the Ashley Barnes of the Dark Star range, with plenty of people queueing up to say get rid. Personally I was quite taken with it, the coconut doesn't really impart much sweetness, it just leaves a mellow dry after taste, which I found quite agreeable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had a few pints of Dark Star Coconut Porter the other night. This has to be the Ashley Barnes of the Dark Star range, with plenty of people queueing up to say get rid. Personally I was quite taken with it, the coconut doesn't really impart much sweetness, it just leaves a mellow dry after taste, which I found quite agreeable.

I will be in the UK next week so I will check this out; the mellow dry description appeals. I love a good stout/porter and enjoy the more interesting brews. I had a Mikkeller imperial stout last week which had been aged in cognac barrels. I have mentioned this before in this thread but it is worthy of a repeat mention. It pours like pitch black oil and looks like the abyss in your glass; and has a glorious smooth chocolatey coffee woody taste. It is called George, check it out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had 2 pints of Saint in the Wick last night. Lovely!

Good work. I am really liking it at the moment. And nice to see the Brewdog ales starting to appear across Sussex.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I will be in the UK next week so I will check this out; the mellow dry description appeals. I love a good stout/porter and enjoy the more interesting brews. I had a Mikkeller imperial stout last week which had been aged in cognac barrels. I have mentioned this before in this thread but it is worthy of a repeat mention. It pours like pitch black oil and looks like the abyss in your glass; and has a glorious smooth chocolatey coffee woody taste. It is called George, check it out.

Ah then you should also look out for the Dark Star Imperial Stout on draft at 10.5%, not one for a midweek session. I had an overnight stay in Sweden last week, but sadly I was in the middle of nowhere, so my attempts to pick up on the new wave of Scandinavian brewing was thwarted. Best I could manage was a bottle of Abro Brygg Mastarens Premium Dark, which was utterly forgettable.

I can't imagine the Mikkeller George would go down to well, with the old boys in the Legion. At just over 9 quid for a 250ml bottle, that would be just over 20 quid a pint. Some of them are still coming to terms with the £2.50 pint ! However if the opportunity arises I will give it a try. Locally Burning Sky are the brewery to watch, as they have big plans for barrel ageing and blending a number of their beers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ah then you should also look out for the Dark Star Imperial Stout on draft at 10.5%, not one for a midweek session. I had an overnight stay in Sweden last week, but sadly I was in the middle of nowhere, so my attempts to pick up on the new wave of Scandinavian brewing was thwarted. Best I could manage was a bottle of Abro Brygg Mastarens Premium Dark, which was utterly forgettable.

I can't imagine the Mikkeller George would go down to well, with the old boys in the Legion. At just over 9 quid for a 250ml bottle, that would be just over 20 quid a pint. Some of them are still coming to terms with the £2.50 pint ! However if the opportunity arises I will give it a try. Locally Burning Sky are the brewery to watch, as they have big plans for barrel ageing and blending a number of their beers.

I presume I will be able to drink these two Dark Star beers at The Evening Star?

At 9 quid for 250ml George is a very special treat for sure. I have only drunk it three times in the last year but it is worth it in my opinion. It's a nice beer to drink slowly at home alone with your feet up and some music on after getting home on a Friday after work.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Oooooo I must seek this out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Locally Burning Sky are the brewery to watch, as they have big plans for barrel ageing and blending a number of their beers.

This is the guy who left Dark Star right? Questions mentioned him and I read his blog; I like his style and outlook and as you say one to watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here