Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official! iPhone not the best phone on the market

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was worried about this, MY missus has the iphone 4 and Im a lefty
Do you people find it that hard to hold a phone? We're not talking about dribbling round the Italian defence with either foot, we're talking about holding a phone to your ear. I hold a phone as much with my left hand as with my right.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Do you people find it that hard to hold a phone? We're not talking about dribbling round the Italian defence with either foot, we're talking about holding a phone to your ear. I hold a phone as much with my left hand as with my right.

No, It just feel un natural to hold it in my right, Like I said it wasn't really an issue and better yet I could just stick in the headset use that for call it was brilliant.

Just been looking at the S2 as people keep raving about it, It looks a really good phone but I can't see this price difference people mean regards it and the Iphone the S2 is still around £500

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
No, It just feel un natural to hold it in my right, Like I said it wasn't really an issue and better yet I could just stick in the headset use that for call it was brilliant.

Just been looking at the S2 as people keep raving about it, It looks a really good phone but I can't see this price difference people mean regards it and the Iphone the S2 is still around £500

Try getting it on a contract and you'll see it's far more reasonable than any current iPhone 4 contracts

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Another attempt by an Android fan boy to knock Apple. You don't see Apple owners Android bashing because there is no need. We rise above the petty minded.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
IMO comparing the S2 vs iPhone is like comparing a KIA vs Audi - You are paying for quality and not necessarily far superior technological advances.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have a Samsung Galaxy S. Relatively happy with it, apart from the shocking battery life.

Might try an iphone next. Undecided.

One thing is for certain, the term 'fan boy' makes me do a little vomit in my mouth.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As Stephen Fry said in his 4S review: "Once again Apple is taking a lead and asking a lot of its competitors. I wish those competitors luck, for the better all smartphones are, the happier I am. If Steve Jobs's true legacy is that the devices every other company makes are so, so much better than they otherwise would have been, I don't think he would mind one bit."

He is a bright one that Stephen Fry. I've pre-ordered my iPhone 4S, and have my GiffGaff sim ready, ordered via a NSC member who'll make £5 on the back of it. Happy with that. My iPhone 3G has been the longest I've owned a single handset, 3 years now, and it's being passed onto my wife as it still works fine. Well worth it. Of course, Android handsets weren't really on the market back then...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
How unfortunate of them to issue that award 3 days before the newest iPhone is launched.

The iPhone 4 is the best selling phone ever. The iPhone 4s sold over 1 million pre-orders in 24 hours, already making it the best new phone launch ever, eclipsing the iPhone 4.

Grab these small, hollow victories if they make you feel better.

Really interesting read about the reason for not launching iphone 5 - might interest you Bozza - http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-why-apple-launched-the-iphone-4s-instead-of-the-iphone-5-2011-10

Bold Seagull - read this and you'll see that you are exactly the target market. Current iphone 4 owners have not been targeted yet because their contracts still have time to run!!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Another attempt by an Android fan boy to knock Apple. You don't see Apple owners Android bashing because there is no need. We rise above the petty minded.

Complete rubbish. Apple fanboys litter Android forums/articles. And as for that Steven Fry quote, that is laughable as now Apple is playing catchup and introducing elements into its OS that Android has had for years.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Try getting it on a contract and you'll see it's far more reasonable than any current iPhone 4 contracts

I think places like Carphone Whorehouse and others make more on say Samsung or HTC handsets even if they reduce them, than they do on the iPhone 4 contracts, and so push them more. I'm an iPhone/Apple person, and despite me saying all my software / mobileme / syncing etc. meant iPhone was an obvious practical choice, he was still trying to push the other phones on me, and to be honest, the deals on the face of it are better.

Then again, I bought a Saab once, it was more expensive than it's competitors, cost me more to service and replace parts, probably less reliable than others, may well have depreciated more, but I bloody loved it!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Complete rubbish. Apple fanboys litter Android forums/articles. And as for that Steven Fry quote, that is laughable as now Apple is playing catchup and introducing elements into its OS that Android has had for years.

The point Fry is making, is that even if Apple is playing catch up, then that's great because it means more and more smart phones are excellent and improving our lives, but few could deny that it is Apple and the iPhone then created this marketplace, and continues to dominate it, even if opinion is that their product is inferior.

There was a discussion about this on the Guardian website last week, and it's a complete fallacy. It's the nature of the internet, that give people a platform for debate and their arguments will get more and more extreme (Godwin's law, anyone?). The nature of people going ott bashing Apple is simply a reaction to the fans going ott in their praise, no side is better or worse than the other.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The point Fry is making, is that even if Apple is playing catch up, then that's great because it means more and more smart phones are excellent and improving our lives, but few could deny that it is Apple and the iPhone then created this marketplace, and continues to dominate it, even if opinion is that their product is inferior.

I agree with what you are saying but Fry said 'once again apple take the lead'. That I would disagree with, although their product is excellent it is not any more groundbreaking.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm a bit dissappointed to be honest. I posted this thread before heading to a meeting, and was hoping to come back to a proper binfest. Never mind, you are all far too polite.

I'm back off to my meeting now (with my Samsung Galaxy S2, in white, naturally) so I'll see you later :wave:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bold Seagull - read this and you'll see that you are exactly the target market. Current iphone 4 owners have not been targeted yet because their contracts still have time to run!

I did read it, and yes, I was looking to upgrade whether a 4S or 5 to be honest, mainly because my wife wants an iphone, the only thing that is rubbish in my 3G is the camera. The only reservation I would have with the article, is that I worked it out to be cheaper to buy the 4S handset unlocked with no contract, then get a GiffGaff sim. I saw this as a positive such as say my wife breaks the 3G, I'm not in a contract and so it would be easy to pass handsets around, I could then get a 5 next year if that happened. I feel a lot better not having a 18 or 24 mnt contract hanging over me. Also means if I go abroad I can purchase a local sim and use that which makes a lot of sense.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
If you go into a shop and ask for the latest and greatest iPhone pretty please, it's an iPhone 4. Shortly they'll be able to test the 4s against the Samsung.

I don't understand why you fanboys don't want progress. If I was an iPhone fanboy I'd want the new Samsung to be the best, as that will help push the next gen of iPhone to be better, and keep prices competitive. If they keep beating each other we all win. The last thing we want is only one decent option.

You don't need to be beaten to improve - you can improve to stay ahead. Rather like Man Utd - they don't wait until other teams beat them before they buy new players.

IMO comparing the S2 vs iPhone is like comparing a KIA vs Audi - You are paying for quality and not necessarily far superior technological advances.

I like this analogy - very true.

I think places like Carphone Whorehouse and others make more on say Samsung or HTC handsets even if they reduce them, than they do on the iPhone 4 contracts, and so push them more. I'm an iPhone/Apple person, and despite me saying all my software / mobileme / syncing etc. meant iPhone was an obvious practical choice, he was still trying to push the other phones on me, and to be honest, the deals on the face of it are better.

Then again, I bought a Saab once, it was more expensive than it's competitors, cost me more to service and replace parts, probably less reliable than others, may well have depreciated more, but I bloody loved it!

For me, having other Apple devices it makes sense to stay loyal to the brand - everything is designed to work together. Makes it all easier to use and less problematical. Plus Apple devices do look good!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

oh the irony. doubly so with the next post...

really, its a bit more like comparing Honda's and Audi's. its down to badge preference and style rather than meaningful quality differences.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You don't need to be beaten to improve - you can improve to stay ahead. Rather like Man Utd - they don't wait until other teams beat them before they buy new players.
That's very naive (sorry for being offensive). Have Man U won the premiership and champions league for the last 5 years consecutively - no. They lost the champions league final and need to improve. If they could win it all without spending money on more players, they would. Companies are in the business of making money, and when there's less competition and they're making a shed load, they spend less on R&D. Intel do not release the fastest CPUs they have available, they release enough to stay ahead of the competition. If you think that competition doesn't drive down prices or lead to innovation you are mad. So decent phones from both Apple and their competitors is good competition, and good for consumers.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I have a SGII and it is spectacular. I absolutely love it.

On the presale front, sure that means there's huge demand, but what if its unusable and just an updated iPhone 4?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here