Bexhill-on-Sea
One of those I took yesterday shame the arch had been taken down again

Attachments

• falmer1.JPG
    falmer1.JPG
    709.4 KB · Views: 748

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Natterjack - big ask I know but if you get a moment sometime, could you please let us have a picture or two of the excavation works on the west stand which of course is completely hidden from our view on the webcam. Many thanks.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The number of times it falls over, we'll have to nickname it Drogba.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Kind of annoying all this non-arch action. I'm sure things are going ok, just you can't see much from the webcam !

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Could do with a quick re-assurance if NJ is around.

What's the weather like in Brighton today, could the crane have been lowered due to high winds?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Could do with a quick re-assurance if NJ is around.

Indeed, if you study all the webcam images from today, looks like almost nothing has happened apart from the crane doing a "drogba"

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I thought I understood (and chuckled) about the oversized flanges, but I thought that meant we'd see loads of action as the arch kept being lifted into place, checked, removed, adjustments made, lifted back into place etc.

Have I misunderstood, or are the adjustments necessary, more time-consuming than I realised?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Everything is under control. The arch is a very complicated piece of steelwork that needs to be 100% right before they put it together in mid air.

I'll get some West stand photos up and post them tomorrow

No cause for concern then?
When do you think we'll see "lifting" again?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Will the first section go up (and stay up) when final adjustments have been made, then the same thing happening with the middle section, then the third?
Or will all 3 sections have their adjustments done before all 3 go up one after the other?

Any chance of lifting action tomorrow (lunchtime onwards)?

Last edited:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Everything is under control. The arch is a very complicated piece of steelwork that needs to be 100% right before they put it together in mid air.

Excellent NJ.

I'm not sure if you would get grief for doing this but would there be any chance of some interior photos of the East stand concourse? Martin Perry's video blog gives a brief glimpse of this area but didn't show a great deal.

Thank you.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

If the engineering and everything is/was so precise, why does it need lifting in place to discover adjustments are needed and then adjustments made on the ground before lifting it in place/adjusting again a few times? It's obvious I'm not an engineer...

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
If the engineering and everything is/was so precise, why does it need lifting in place to discover adjustments are needed and then adjustments made on the ground before lifting it in place/adjusting again a few times? It's obvious I'm not an engineer...
Probably something to do with metal expanding and contracting in accordance with different temperature variations I guess ie expands in heat, contracts in winter? But then, I am not an engineer......

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

I would imagine that everything has been built within tolerance levels, but that doesn't mean there won't be any minor adjustments required when it comes to fitting the arch. Slight tolerances here and there are one thing, but we then need to adjust the fitting on the arch so that it forms as precise a fit as is possible.

But I'm not an engineer, so that could all be rubbish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here