Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official FALMER WEBCAM Merged Threads

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Right thats it.

I'm on strike until the cams working again.

It's still not working for me, time to call in the techies!!!

You could always go to Falmer and stand there for 11 hours a day. Watching it in real time is so much better than a snapshot every 15 mins.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
They were trying to fix that piece a couple of weeks ago. It's a kind of end wall which fixes on the end of the precast concrete steps nearest the webcam. Next day a white van bearing the description concrete cutters turned up and men were see operating on it. Perhaps to no avail because it has remained in solitary confinement since then.

If I ordered an item that was custom built and it didn't fit when it was delivered I'd want a replacement-not something chopped to fit.:jester:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
yes, thats what I mean. The white bits will be visible when complete. the grey beams will all be buried in concrete or in walls.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Am I the only one to be a tad disappointed that the big white roof-topping arch thingummy (excuse the technical term) was not, as I had hoped/expected, put into place as a single unit, but is placed on the stand, piece by piece, like some jumbo Meccano.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Am I the only one to be a tad disappointed that the big white roof-topping arch thingummy (excuse the technical term) was not, as I had hoped/expected, put into place as a single unit, but is placed on the stand, piece by piece, like some jumbo Meccano.

That isnt the arch they are putting on piece by piece now which is going to be underneath the roof

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Not disappointed because we can see the spaces on the east terrace where the gap has been left for temporary supports while the roof is being built. The implication of this is that there will be a chuffing big roof with no visible means of support when it is finished. Despite the disappointment of not seeing a 120m white arch being lowered into place, the prospect of the floating massive roof more than compensates.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
I think you'll find that each of the roof arches will be assembled on site (where the pitch will be) and then put into position by cranes. That's what happened at Wembley I believe. So could be quite a spectacular sight. NJ would confirm this but after last night's result, he's keeping a respectfully low profile today.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think you'll find that each of the roof arches will be assembled on site (where the pitch will be) and then put into position by cranes. That's what happened at Wembley I believe. So could be quite a spectacular sight. NJ would confirm this but after last night's result, he's keeping a respectfully low profile today.

He needs to, he has very important work to do...far more than posting random gloats on here...last night's result is already forgotten!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Did we play last night? Must have missed that!

That probably sounds about right. The roof isn't my department and it'll be a long way off yet, but it'll probably go up in 3 sections per arch (as there are 2 supports each side)

As for last night's result, well I don't like to gloat too much but I think we were suitably 'up for it' given that players were playing for starting places against Boro. It was also our first game at home, so were odds on to win.

From talking to my mates, they were impressed with Cox and another player (who I can't remember) from the defence.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That probably sounds about right. The roof isn't my department and it'll be a long way off yet, but it'll probably go up in 3 sections per arch (as there are 2 supports each side)

Any idea of the dimensions of the triangular roof supporting thing? Looking at the drawing you posted a couple of days ago it appears to be about the same width as roughly 10 rows of seats. That's bloody massive if that's the case.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
From talking to my mates, they were impressed with Cox and another player (who I can't remember) from the defence.

That's the first time I've heard someone being impressed with tiny Cox!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here