Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official FALMER WEBCAM Merged Threads

Weird question: will there be a big moment when suddenly those foundations for the roof all become load-bearing, so when all the stresses and strains from the weight of the fall (hopefully!) into the right place? Or is it something that gets built up gradually? Sorry, I'm obviously crap on the technical terms of civil engineering and what not, hope you see what I mean.

When they built the roof on the San Siro in Milan for Italia 90 they showed the hoisting of one massive girder into position live on telly. This is much more important, obviously.

All concrete should reach it's design strength in 28 days (4/5 of total strength which is gained fully over years)

As for the roof, it will be supported temporarily whilst being constructed. Only when all the founds are completed will it be able to be 'released'

Last edited:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
wooo.

:love:
attachment.php

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Fascinating stuff, cheers NJ.

I tell you, it's a massive thing having that stadium built anyway but quite another to have someone involved who's as generous with their time and expertise to talk fascinated but pig-ignorant doofs like me through what's actually going on. Bloody brilliant and much appreciated.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I'm sorry but that trench in front of the east stand is not JUST for a retaining wall at the front of the stand. It looks like one of those mass war graves. What the hell is it for, why is it so wide?? They're not building a moat are they?

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
I'm sorry but that trench in front of the east stand is not JUST for a retaining wall at the front of the stand. It looks like one of those mass war graves. What the hell is it for, why is it so wide?? They're not building a moat are they?

If you took the time to read the immortal and reverred Natterjack's postings you would know the answer! He says there's going to be a low retaining wall pitch side, behind which they will form the steps going up the slope to meet the other precast steps already in place. What you're looking at is where the front row of the seats will be. 'citing innit!

Yoda

English & European

I believe NJ has said it is for both the retaining wall and the first step of the terracing to be cast on the slope.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Fascinating stuff, cheers NJ.

I tell you, it's a massive thing having that stadium built anyway but quite another to have someone involved who's as generous with their time and expertise to talk fascinated but pig-ignorant doofs like me through what's actually going on. Bloody brilliant and much appreciated.

Seconded. Natterjack has stopped a situation where we'd all be speculating as to what was happening on the webcam. It would be like the womans weekly forum trying to work out what the offside rule was.

Cheers for the pics NJ, awesome stuff :bowdown:

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
And at this point I'd like to once again remind everyone of the comments of 'easybeaker of Lewes' just four months ago - "whatever side you are on in this argument you can relax because there's never going to be a stadium at Falmer"....:laugh: What a fricken pratt.

I for one, at every opporunity, will be reminding him and all the other losers who regularly 'voiced their opinions (usually on the Argus website)' that they were all talking complete Isle of Wight.

EasyBeaker, Lewes says...
9:06pm Fri 10 Apr 09
There’s no point in anyone here getting worked up or insulting or having an advanced attack of keyboard rage because that’s all a waste of time, energy and karma. Whatever side you are on in this argument you can relax because there’s never going to be a stadium at Falmer. The club has no money, the government has no more money, the city council has given its taxpayers’ land away and won’t give any more, the Blooms are fed up with pushing cash at a no-hope side, the LSC has had its finance pulled from under its feet so the fabled £35 million that so many idiots here imagine was on the table is even more of a myth. Anyone who knows anything about this project knows that the funding plan was laughable without any of those mishaps. So keep calm out there – once the roadworks on Village Way are complete they will only ever serve the university and the muddy field will be quietly returned to its farmer. Conference football will, however, still be available at Withdean.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
EasyBeaker, Lewes says...
9:06pm Fri 10 Apr 09
There’s no point in anyone here getting worked up or insulting or having an advanced attack of keyboard rage because that’s all a waste of time, energy and karma. Whatever side you are on in this argument you can relax because there’s never going to be a stadium at Falmer. The club has no money, the government has no more money, the city council has given its taxpayers’ land away and won’t give any more, the Blooms are fed up with pushing cash at a no-hope side, the LSC has had its finance pulled from under its feet so the fabled £35 million that so many idiots here imagine was on the table is even more of a myth. Anyone who knows anything about this project knows that the funding plan was laughable without any of those mishaps. So keep calm out there – once the roadworks on Village Way are complete they will only ever serve the university and the muddy field will be quietly returned to its farmer. Conference football will, however, still be available at Withdean.

Still....the last bit may still come true :wink:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Not for the Albion it won't (unless the stadium doesn't get finished).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Am I the only one that has noticed that the big lump of concrete in the middle of the road that had a fence all of its own was moved between 11.30 and 11.45am?

Looks like the green noo-noo moved it so a lorry could get out. It's now re-fenced and tucked under this end of the east stand. Will this be the bit left at the end when they finis building and everyone goes "what the hell was this bit for?"

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Am I the only one that has noticed that the big lump of concrete in the middle of the road that had a fence all of its own was moved between 11.30 and 11.45am?

Looks like the green noo-noo moved it so a lorry could get out. It's now re-fenced and tucked under this end of the east stand. Will this be the bit left at the end when they finis building and everyone goes "what the hell was this bit for?"

They were trying to fix that piece a couple of weeks ago. It's a kind of end wall which fixes on the end of the precast concrete steps nearest the webcam. Next day a white van bearing the description concrete cutters turned up and men were see operating on it. Perhaps to no avail because it has remained in solitary confinement since then.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Bloody typical, ordering bits that don't fit.

Bit like the team really.
:jester:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Working like a treat.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
They were trying to fix that piece a couple of weeks ago. It's a kind of end wall which fixes on the end of the precast concrete steps nearest the webcam. Next day a white van bearing the description concrete cutters turned up and men were see operating on it. Perhaps to no avail because it has remained in solitary confinement since then.

They did offer it up to the end of the terracing, then took it down, hence the concrete cutters working on it, I'm assuming there just waiting for the right people to be available to put it up, otherwise thet would have binned it, Natterjack ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here