Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Carlisle Post match descussion

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
What a frustrating afternoon.Pretty much battered them without playing very well.They just kept breaking up the play and time wasting but i thought they had come a cropper at the end when it looked like we might even nick it until that horrible howler.
Very lightweight upfront today.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Lacklustre, error strewn. Seemed like a classic end of season game. Lots of good positions, no end product or final ball. Although we did boss game from start to finish.

Lua Lua frustrating, not sure about Barnes on his own up front. Certainly need a lot more firepower if were going to be anywhere near promotion next year.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
....and I think we tended to rely on lualua running at the defence rather than a patient build up......I actualy thought we missed Seb Carole today. I am not a great fan of playing Bennett at full back...it limits our options.

On the laughingly called " fans phone in" which I think there were two calls and lots of chat between wardy, Budgie and the other bloke, Gus sounded horrendously pissed off suggesting we had gone back to our game in december.

Personally I would look to replace the defence in the summer. calderon is good at full back, painter if we can afford him and then tow decent centre backs, our two are just not good enough

Boring game, felt like a 0-0 only without the point. Both teams played wank and didn't create jack shit. LuaLua always looked likely to be our best chance of making something happen but Navarro our best player today.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
LuaLua is good at running at defences but there is no end product feel that he may be at his best being used as a sub and coming on wth fresh legs against a tiring defence.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
....Personally I would look to replace the defence in the summer. calderon is good at full back, painter if we can afford him and then tow decent centre backs, our two are just not good enough

Seems a bit harsh on the defence.... they were hardly at fault for either goal and limited Carlisle to very few efforts on target.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
replacing Forster/Murray with Barnes/Holroyd says it all.

We could learn a few lessons from the likes of Carlisle - not pretty, few mistakes, very professional and now travelling up M40/M6 with 3 points.

our midfield formation is too congested and denies Dicker space to be creative, and who does Lua Lua think he is shooting from anywhere?

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
barnes is not a 4-5-1 striker. only murray plays that role well from what we've seen so far (holroyd hasn't really had a chance up there on his own). no matter what players we have in defence and midfield, if we have someone upfront who struggles to hold it up we will struggle to create

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well, at fault for conceding the free-kick for the first.

Anyone can concede a free kick, they will have to do worse than that to get dropped, what exactly did the defense do wrong today, a well taken free kick and a mistake from brezovan gave them two goals, apart from that what did they create?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mostly boring game that we should have won.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Anyone can concede a free kick, they will have to do worse than that to get dropped, what exactly did the defense do wrong today, a well taken free kick and a mistake from brezovan gave them two goals, apart from that what did they create?

Gus wasn't impressed. I guess his opinion matters.

Poyet said: "If you've got Ian Harte on the pitch and if you play with a brain you don't give fouls around the box.

"We gave one away after three minutes and then one was a goal.

"Maybe if you don't know players in League One you can accept it but I think Ian Harte is very well known for his qualities.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Gus wasn't impressed. I guess his opinion matters.

Poyet said: "If you've got Ian Harte on the pitch and if you play with a brain you don't give fouls around the box.

"We gave one away after three minutes and then one was a goal.

"Maybe if you don't know players in League One you can accept it but I think Ian Harte is very well known for his qualities.

exactly, and for the 2nd Elphick completely lost concentration & gave away possesion in a dangerous area when we had them completely on the rack & looked like we could score again, meaning he had to give away another free kick and causing us to lose all our momentum. OK Brezovan ballsed up but it should never have got to that stage.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Complacency anyone? Gus seems to think so, and judging from today I wouldnt argue.

exactly, and for the 2nd Elphick completely lost concentration & gave away possesion in a dangerous area when we had them completely on the rack & looked like we could score again, meaning he had to give away another free kick and causing us to lose all our momentum. OK Brezovan ballsed up but it should never have got to that stage.

No surprise that it was Elphick whiffing at football, as always.
Still congratulating himself at scoring while handing the 3 points to Carlisle I expect.
Shit player, get rid.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Agree with most of the above - At the moment we don't appear to be able to switch from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 and are now becoming easier to predict. At times we have to mix it up a bit but I agree if you want to drop a lot of long balls into the middle a decent size striker is a must.

It's clear that without Murray or Forster we are limited up front. I can excuse Brez for his error today (he's done ok over the last couple of months), but come next season we have to minimise such mistakes and be a bit more ruthless.

The radio said we had 24 attempts at goal (which I find hard to believe) but how many did their keeper have to save - 2 or 3 all afternoon.

With the other results as they were I'm just disappointed as a win today (which I was expecting) would pretty much have put us safe, and now we go to 2 struggling teams which we are capable of getting something from but are fighting for their lives and will see us as must win games.

Come on lads - don't let us bite our nails until the last couple of weeks of the season again !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here