Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Offensive

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
What is offensive ? Are Thatcher ,Clakeson ,Brand and Ross frozen relics or is there a facist word police out there.....watch what you say mind .....!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think we have now learned to roll over as a nation and be told off as and when those as thought police decide.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Indeed. The famed British sense of humour is dead.

RIP

You will now be told what to think/how to speak/when to laugh - infrequently unless at a politically acceptable and minority supporting (but humourless) in joke.

sad times - consider that the likes of Shakespeare would surely have been vilified and potentially silenced under this regimen - sad indeed

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Not necessarily offensive, though they all sail pretty close to the wind at times...however, I now make no effort to see anything that any of them are on where once I would have done, I am more likely to turn over or off than keep watching...I am just tired of the sort of stuff they do, it is starting to get a little dated.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Not offensive. What's offensive is when a tv clip which has been seen by a couple of hundred people generates 10s of thousands of bandwagon jumping complaints. People need to f*** off and get a grip. With the Thatcher "incident", John Barnes was interviewed (I know, all the other black people must have been busy), and said that is wasn't offensive, he remembers the golliwogs with their smiley faces and afros, and they were nothing more than a brand, a selling point. He said that people need to see past the perceived "racism" and take things for what they are - a joke, or a comment. It's fairly easy to see when a comment is racist or sexist, but he couldn't understand why people got on their high horses about general banter.

As for the Gordon Brown shite, the man is Scottish, has one eye, and is an idiot. If the RNIB are so concerned about "fair play" for the blind, why was their spokesman not "visually impaired"? Load of old bollocks.

Ditchboy

Apr 4, 2008
They're all f***ing offensive, but it's their right to be. Just as long as they're ready for what they'll get if they come round my yard.

fairy cakes

Jun 23, 2008
On Have I got news for you they take the piss out of Blunkett being blind. They also take the piss out of Heather Mills for having one leg, but this is considered ok. I find it much more offensive what they say on Have I got news for you than what Clarkson said about brown.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think half the problem is that no-one knows what really is acceptable and what isn't, and now we have people looking out for any slight wording / slip of the tougue etc to condemn, because they think that it may cause offense, not that it will cause offense.

It's like health and safety, people live in fear of breaking the rules, but don't know what is and what isn't deemed against health and safety, and as a result society suffers - eg, school trips cancelled as seen too high risk and the fear of being sued.

As people don't know the true boundaries, do gooders take it to extremes to be on the safe side and take it too far, (see Clarksons comments for one) and most people have now been subdued into accepting what these self important do gooders say or do. - they should have been laughed out of toen years ago imo.

So much for freedom of speech or free will, where people are entitled to their own views, reguardless as to whether anyone else agreed or not.

I think its also a reflection on todays society that with so little to worry about in normal life (war, famine, disease, etc) these trivial matters gain so much importance

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon the government are probably looking for a reason to do away with the licensing fee, so the Beeb have to be seen to be coming down hard on non-PC miscreants. Having said that, a good financial slapping for the likes of Ross, Thatcher and (until the half-hearted apology) Clarkson has to be for the greater good.

The Cardinal

Bishop of Withdean
Sep 2, 2008
St Peters
What is offensive ? Are Thatcher ,Clakeson ,Brand and Ross frozen relics or is there a facist word police out there.....watch what you say mind .....!!!

Tell you what, why not have a thread full of Robert Eaton gags? Or is it possible that racist insults and ego fuelled crassness are not expressions of free speach but simply moronic bullshit?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who was the Carole Thatcher snitch ? I just cannot imagine Jo Brand grassing, so it must be that adulterer Childs surely ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think half the problem is that no-one knows what really is acceptable and what isn't, and now we have people looking out for any slight wording / slip of the tougue etc to condemn, because they think that it may cause offense, not that it will cause offense.

It's like health and safety, people live in fear of breaking the rules, but don't know what is and what isn't deemed against health and safety, and as a result society suffers - eg, school trips cancelled as seen too high risk and the fear of being sued.

As people don't know the true boundaries, do gooders take it to extremes to be on the safe side and take it too far, (see Clarksons comments for one) and most people have now been subdued into accepting what these self important do gooders say or do. - they should have been laughed out of toen years ago imo.

So much for freedom of speech or free will, where people are entitled to their own views, reguardless as to whether anyone else agreed or not.

I think its also a reflection on todays society that with so little to worry about in normal life (war, famine, disease, etc) these trivial matters gain so much importance

Is one of our rights.................. the right to offend.
I think it is as long as you are prepared for a punch on the conk if you offend the wrong person.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think it's all drama that people enjoy being a part of. Some people enjoy the righteousness of condemning someone for saying something out of turn. It allows them to feel moral. By contrast, other people enjoy the righteousness of claiming society's gone to pot and proclaiming themselves defenders of freedom of speech. It allows them to feel like martyrs. Whether it's Jade Goody, ITV football non-coverage, Carol Thatcher or Jeremy Clarkson, it's done through creating a 'straw man' (i.e. someone describes a position that superficially resembles an opponent's actual view, yet is easier to refute), and generating heat rather than light.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On Have I got news for you they take the piss out of Blunkett being blind. They also take the piss out of Heather Mills for having one leg, but this is considered ok. I find it much more offensive what they say on Have I got news for you than what Clarkson said about brown.

Summer High Heights also has humour that is very near the mark of acceptability and yet this is on the BBC with no come backs as far as I'm aware ? Little Britain pushed the boundaries when that first came out too I would say. In fact many programmes on the BBC have pushed on boundaries over the years and I think that explodes the nanny state myth - certainly as far as public broadcasting goes.

It seems to me that all the four people named in this case have two things in common.

1) They are 'all 'celebrities' in a seemingly celebrity obsessed culture.

2) They are all obnoxious egotistic twats.

Seems to me that they all revel in the publicity that these complaints generate.

Indeed. The famed British sense of humour is dead.

RIP

You will now be told what to think/how to speak/when to laugh - infrequently unless at a politically acceptable and minority supporting (but humourless) in joke.

sad times - consider that the likes of Shakespeare would surely have been vilified and potentially silenced under this regimen - sad indeed

Since when has British comedy and 'the famed sense of humour' relied on mean-spirited snide and bad language?
I'm not a prude about language, I can eff and blind with the worst - but did real humour on telly need it? Young Ones - not much swearing. Ali G, same. Monty Python, nope, very little of note there. Fools and Horses, Rising Damp, Steptoe and Son, Black Adder, The Goon Show, Fawlty Towers...... etc.

Okay, so I ain't writing to complain about the recent addition of bollocks, shit and f*** to allowable televisual vocabulary - but the above named really do not need to use expletives or cheap shock in their schtick at all, so it's redundant, unnecessary, superfluous.

Offensive, is sending young people to actually die in an illegal invasion, letting torture and murder go on under the name of a flag, and subjugating innocents for religion or politics.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I find it much more offensive what they say on Have I got news for you than what Clarkson said about brown.

Which of course is your opinion, the only opinions that count anymore are from those who disagree with what somebody says/does on TV.

If you dont agree with something, and that something is not legally damaging, then just switch to another programme, everybody has that choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here