Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Off Topic] I just received this from my HR manager (not a wind up)

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
:bowdown:

can't believe people praising the attitude shown in that first post. no bereavement leave takes the pi$$. it's not unreasonable for a faceless company to show a bit of compassion.

This is the general consensus from folks in my company

But I'm sure many of us know people who's relatives die so regularly that they must be using paraquat to see them off. My company has a similar policy, thing is I ignore it. But if I get caught and disciplined then I won't complain, I'll take my p45 and leave.

It's also the price you pay for working for a yank company, they are shit with a capital crap.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
no bereavement leave takes the pi$$. it's not unreasonable for a faceless company to show a bit of compassion.
You're right it's not unreasonable and most places are ok about it, but you've got to remember that they are paying you for not being at work when they don't have to. There's a certain amount of trust that people aren't going to use it as an excuse, if people abuse that trust then they are within their rights to withdraw the gesture. As has been said, if this is a fairly large company then this hasn't been handled very well, as there will be many people who work their bollocks off every day and will see this as a kick in the teeth, just because a minority took the piss. The letter does look a bit like headmistress telling off some school children.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
'Ah, Smithers-Jenkins. I've just received word your mother has died. You can't go to the funeral in my company time, so make sure you bury her out of hours. Or, rather if you do, you won't get paid, or alternatively I will have to discipline you...'

Thankfully, it was nothing like that when my mum died eight years ago. The company gave me all the time off I needed. However, the studio manager was a complete nightmare of a pillock. When I phoned in on the Monday morning (Mum had died on the Sunday evening), I spoke to another colleague who sent his deepest sympathies, but asked that I call back to speak to the studio manager to run through where I was with my part in a particular job, so she could allocate my work out. No problem.

So I called back at 10.45am (her time-keeping was shocking), and let her know where I was with my project. 'Oh, I'm so sorry this has happened. This is terrible, and I always say the wrong things at times like this. I just can't believe this has happened. Anyway, it must have done, because I know you wouldn't pull a stunt like this just to get a day off...'

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Generally I agree with the content of MOST of it, however it is very badly written and I blame the Company concerned for clearly letting things get out of control prior to this being written.

Their berevement policy is crap though. (Although some people do seem to have 17 grandfathers/grandmothers)

Some employees just take the p$$s, and of course it is the hard working ones who are left to carry the workload.

Some people seem to see that Sick Leave is just an additional holiday entitlement, and must be taken at all costs. Then they wonder why their pay rises are so small.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
'Ah, Smithers-Jenkins. I've just received word your mother has died. You can't go to the funeral in my company time, so make sure you bury her out of hours. Or, rather if you do, you won't get paid, or alternatively I will have to discipline you...'

Thankfully, it was nothing like that when my mum died eight years ago. The company gave me all the time off I needed. However, the studio manager was a complete nightmare of a pillock. When I phoned in on the Monday morning (Mum had died on the Sunday evening), I spoke to another colleague who sent his deepest sympathies, but asked that I call back to speak to the studio manager to run through where I was with my part in a particular job, so she could allocate my work out. No problem.

So I called back at 10.45am (her time-keeping was shocking), and let her know where I was with my project. 'Oh, I'm so sorry this has happened. This is terrible, and I always say the wrong things at times like this. I just can't believe this has happened. Anyway, it must have done, because I know you wouldn't pull a stunt like this just to get a day off...'
That sounds like a typical "Open mouth, engage brain" moment.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm no expert but I can tell when someone is about to crack up and I have to say they are working for the wrong company if they are looking for a caring / nurturing response when they do crash and burn :D

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Generally I agree with the content of MOST of it, however it is very badly written and I blame the Company concerned for clearly letting things get out of control prior to this being written.

Their berevement policy is crap though. (Although some people do seem to have 17 grandfathers/grandmothers)

Some employees just take the p$$s, and of course it is the hard working ones who are left to carry the workload.

Some people seem to see that Sick Leave is just an additional holiday entitlement, and must be taken at all costs. Then they wonder why their pay rises are so small.

Agreed

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
nobody (or, at least, very few people) like to work. most want to turn up, log on, and get a pay cheque so they can make rent/watch the albion, etc. it's so easy for employers not to make this a f***ing nightmare. they can easily give a little and make conditions better, which will ultimately benefit everyone, which will, in turn, make staff more productive and help their precious, precious bottom line

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Mostly fair enough I think, but they are on dodgy ground with their sick policy...

There's rules and procedures which companies have to follow, and I don't think the 5 sick days limit would impress an unfair dismissal tribunal too much...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sounds fairly reasonable if on the edge of what is permitted by law. but would be interesting to see how they deal with you phoning is sick due to no voice...

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
sounds fairly reasonable if on the edge of what is permitted by law. but would be interesting to see how they deal with you phoning is sick due to no voice...

My companies policy is that you have to call every day even if certified off (pile of wank): I faxed in the doctors cert for "severe respiratory tract infection" over then phoned in and said nothing. Got told I didn't need to call in for the rest of the cert period :D

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Mostly fair enough I think, but they are on dodgy ground with their sick policy...

There's rules and procedures which companies have to follow, and I don't think the 5 sick days limit would impress an unfair dismissal tribunal too much...

What is the legal ruling on this then. Our policy is that the company will only pay for the first 5 days, unless it's a serious hospital issue, in which case, at the companies discretion they can involk another 10 days paid

I'm no expert but I do not think there is any requirement for a company to pay you anything other than stat sick pay, which is refundable anyway from the government via ni contributions iirc. Any company that pays you your standard salary for any period of time is doing so because they want to, not because they have to. SSP is about 90 per week I think, it may be a bit more in modern times.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
"If you are off sick you MUST also enter your sick time into the Time Off Database on your return. If you fail to do so and I have to enter the data I will not pay you for your sick day. "

Thats exceptionally WRONG - sick leave is in your contract. Any changes to the way this is paid or not, will require a change in your t's&c's...If you get 5 days sick leave, you get 5 days paid....is there anything in your contract about entering it into some daft database??

I hate HR people who feel the need to weild their power like a blunt knitting needle - very very stupid indeed!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
nobody (or, at least, very few people) like to work. most want to turn up, log on, and get a pay cheque so they can make rent/watch the albion, etc. it's so easy for employers not to make this a f***ing nightmare. they can easily give a little and make conditions better, which will ultimately benefit everyone, which will, in turn, make staff more productive and help their precious, precious bottom line
Don't agree with that. I enjoy my job, quite a few of my friends say they enjoy theirs but then most of them have learned a trade. If you don't like your job then get off your arse and do something about it. *edit* last comment not directed at you, just people in general

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Don't agree with that. I enjoy my job, quite a few of my friends say they enjoy theirs but then most of them have learned a trade. If you don't like your job then get off your arse and do something about it.

easier said than done mate. i too am lucky enough to enjoy my job. and so do most of my friends. i imagine we move in circles where people were lucky enough to go to uni/college and learn a trade that they are now plying. not true for most people though.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Don't agree with that. I enjoy my job, quite a few of my friends say they enjoy theirs but then most of them have learned a trade. If you don't like your job then get off your arse and do something about it. *edit* last comment not directed at you, just people in general
I started a new job two months ago, and wake up every morning thinking "I wonder what today will bring". This may have something to do with the fact my life in general has improved greatly over the past 6-8 weeks, but I like to think it is in part because I'm enjoying my job.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I started a new job two months ago, and wake up every morning thinking "I wonder what today will bring". This may have something to do with the fact my life in general has improved greatly over the past 6-8 weeks, but I like to think it is in part because I'm enjoying my job.

Right, there is nothing worse than waking up in the morning and dreading having to go to work

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here