Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Off Topic] I just received this from my HR manager (not a wind up)

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I have made some subtle changes to protect the company, but the statement in CAPS are for real, what do folks think? Any HR experts out there???

Some important information about time off work: read it and understand it. Then please reply to this email confirming your understanding.

In the last few months it has become clear that some people are not aware of our procedures or policy regarding time off, so this is a reminder and a tightening of policy. In fact, the last two weeks have been out of control.

THIS EMAIL MARKS A LINE IN THE SAND.

[CompanyName] has been flexible in its application of policy and procedure. Unfortunately this flexible approach has resulted in staff taking sick leave and vacation often without sufficient or proper notification or reason and without recording their time off in the database. This marks the END of that and the start of a CRACKDOWN where policy and procedure will be strictly enforced, with disciplinary procedures instituted for a failure to adhere to policy without sufficient reason or explanation.

Sorry to go over old ground but the message doesn’t always seem to get through to everyone!

You MUST have your vacation approved in the Time Off Database BEFORE you go on vacation: your time off is NOT APPROVED until you have an email from the database confirming that your time off request has been approved. In exceptional circumstances (e.g. a broken database) the approval may be held up but you must still get your Line Manager’s approval and CONFIRMATION FROM ME IN WRITING (EMAIL) before you take time off. A VERBAL APPROVAL IS NOT ENOUGH. Otherwise you will be treated as absent from work without approval and you will be asked to attend a disciplinary hearing on your return which can result in a warning or dismissal.

Bereavement Leave:

[CompanyName] currently has no bereavement leave policy. If you need to attend a funeral you must take annual leave. If you have used up all of your annual leave then you may be granted an unpaid Leave of Absence with agreement from your Line Manager and HR

Sick Leave

If you are off sick you must inform the MD OR ME of your inability to attend work due to illness or injury, the reason for the absence and the expected length of time away from work, by 9:00 a.m., or as soon as practicable, on the first day of absence. If you fail to do so, without good reason, payment for sick time will be withheld. NOTE THAT IT IS NO LONGER SUFFICIENT TO NOTIFY YOUR LINE MANAGER. YOU MUST CALL THE MD OR ME. IN ADDITION IT IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE MEANS OF NOTIFICATION TO SEND A TEXT MESSAGE OR AN EMAIL. YOU MUST CALL.

Here is my cell phone number – [number removed] - put it into your phone now. If you are off sick YOU MUST CALL HR – i.e. me.

If you are off sick you MUST also enter your sick time into the Time Off Database on your return. If you fail to do so and I have to enter the data I will not pay you for your sick day.

Remember that you are only entitled to a maximum of 5 days of paid sick leave in any calendar year.

Red-Eye flights

If you take a red eye leisure flight and then call in sick or ask to work from home you will not be paid. It is your responsibility to ensure that you return to the UK in good time to recover suitably to attend and do a day’s work.

Working from home

This is granted in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances. You require special written permission (by email will suffice) from the MD or I in advance. If you do not have a reply to your request you must assume that your request is NOT GRANTED.

I will circulate a new sick policy that reflects these changes in due course.

FINALLY, THE ONUS IS ON YOU TO ACCOUNT FOR WHEN YOU ARE NOT AT WORK – IT IS NOT FOR ME TO CHASE YOU. THIS IS THE LAST REMINDER, THE FINAL REMINDER. I AM CRACKING DOWN BECAUSE PEOPLE FAIL TO NOTIFY OR ENTER THEIR TIME OFF CORRECTLY – ESPECIALLY SICK TIME. IF YOU DO NOT TAKE YOUR TIME OFF AND WHEREABOUTS SERIOUSLY, I WILL.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Very reasonable. Seems like people at your company have been taking the piss and the company is fighting back.

Good on them I say.

Don't like it? Then get another job.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It sounds like someone at the end of their tether, especially with the repetition. Especially with the repetition.

Not sure what the caps are all about though. It seems to turn it into a bit of a rant. But the message seems clear enough.

The bereavement leave clause seems a bit on the mean side, though.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Sounds fair enough to me. From the look of it people have been taking the piss, and this is the response.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
good on them, employees take the piss I am self employed and in the last 12 months have taken

Holiday 11 days ( unpaid as self employed )
Sick Days 1 ( unpaid as self employed )
Average hours worked 45-50 per week

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I don't disagree with the content, just the delivery.

Also there are a couple of people who are taking the piss, and it would have been a lot better to deal with those individuals on a one to one basis

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't disagree with the content, just the delivery.

Also there are a couple of people who are taking the piss, and it would have been a lot better to deal with those individuals on a one to one basis

Doesn't work like that.

Human Rights Act bollox working again. Employers can't discriminate. (Legally that is)

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
The capitalist machine tries to bully all of us into submission. Normally it tries to do it with a sugar coating - in this case it hasn't bothered.

Treat it with the the contempt it deserves. It's enough that we turn up at their tedious, shitty, pointless, demeaninng jobs on a semi-regular basis. Wagging off work is the price they pay for exploiting us and ignoring any real aspiration and talent we may have.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Like others have said the berverment policy (or lack of one) and sick leave are a bit on the harsh side other then that it all sounds fair. Would have an issue about the way it sent though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For a small firm of, say, 30 employees or less that HR statement is fine, but I wouldn't be impressed if you were large firm.

Monkster

Ragamuffin
Jul 7, 2003
The Token Carlisle United Fan
How many sick days have you had this year?

"Remember that you are only entitled to a maximum of 5 days of paid sick leave in any calendar year"

Couple of Xmas shopping days???

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
For a small firm of, say, 30 employees or less that HR statement is fine, but I wouldn't be impressed if you were large firm.

I can't imagine the MD of a large firm would be very impressed either. I'd hope they'd have better things to do with their time that take calls from sick employees.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Its their own fault. They allow employees to record their own sickness and annual leave. They should adopt a request / grant system where the Line Manager is accountable for recording their staffs sickness and annual leave on to the database.

Too much trust there!

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
The capitalist machine tries to bully all of us into submission. Normally it tries to do it with a sugar coating - in this case it hasn't bothered.

Treat it with the the contempt it deserves. It's enough that we turn up at their tedious, shitty, pointless, demeaninng jobs on a semi-regular basis. Wagging off work is the price they pay for exploiting us and ignoring any real aspiration and talent we may have.

:bowdown:

can't believe people praising the attitude shown in that first post. no bereavement leave takes the pi$$. it's not unreasonable for a faceless company to show a bit of compassion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here