% of Brighton fans on NSC

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In order to answer the question, you need to ask another one:

How many Brighton fans are there?

(Which, of course, leads to another question: how do you define what a fan is?)

I've given out stats at various times when people have trotted out the "Only 12 Albion fans use NSC" and similar shite in the past.

Ah, but at one time in NSC's past, that would have been the truth.

When I joined there were only about 20, so as a contributor at the foundation of your very website - I claim some credit for making it an interesting and alluring website.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Based on conversations with people at the football, and nothing more scientific, I'd say 10-15% of fans at Withdean contribute at east some times. Perhaps 20% more read the site or have read the site. Roughly one in three therefore have had some contact with the site.

This percentage will fall next season when there are a lot of new (or returning lapsed) fans. But it will mean there are more users on NSC ultimately.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
NSC gets, daily, more unique visitors than the Albion get at home games.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that most of those are Albion fans.

But, as above, how many Albion fans are there? What is an Albion fan?

Seagull1967

Aug 8, 2009
Barnsley
In my opinion an Albion fan is a person who follows the success and failures of the team. They might not go to watch Brighton play live, but follow them avidly through any medium which is available to that individual.

Some would say a true fan is one who pays money to watch their team which is a valid point. I think you cannot dismiss the armchair fans because one day they might be a paying fan!!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I recall the number of uniques from data previously provided Bozza. Not sure what the original questions was about, but I interpreted it as being "what proportion of people that go to Brighton games use NSC?" as one interpretation of a fan. Of course I know that not all Brighton fans go to the games - far from it. There will be many times the number of totl fans going to games coming on to NSC each week because of fans keeping up with the club, non-attending fans, away fans, other interested folk, hundreds of Argus journalists trawling for stories etc. SO by that measure of a fan, my gut feel based on speaking to people I meet and chat to at Withdean, is that about 1/3rd of people who go to the games use or contribute to NSC.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

But I access NSC from at least 4 different computers and my Iphone, do they all county as unique visitors?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The only metric that matters, to me at least, is:

What percentage of online Albion discussion takes place on NSC?

WINNING

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Some of those unique visits may be bots and spiders as opposed to 'real' people. Also, as we know, a lot are rival fans or people who've never even heard of Brighton but who've come here following a link or a search result in Google.

However we've moved on from the days when the internet was a slow, clunky thing at the other end of dial-up modem, and I agree you could easily make a case for saying more Brighton fans use NSC than actually attend matches at Withdean. Then, as you say, we're into the debate as to what constitutes a 'real' fan.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
NSC members, I'd say 10-15% of our fanbase.
My gut feeling is that this is about right when you include lurkers, but it really is surely almost impossible to tell.

8,000 unique visitors daily isn't the least bit surprising either, but there is no way that I could believe any more than half (at a push) are Albion fans. One thing is for sure, assuming NSC is getting so many hits, it would be very valuable as a going concern, commercially. The fact that it is largely funded by click thru's to Amazon more or less proves the point.

Oh, and I'm with Bozza when it comes to all this "hardly any Albion fan uses NSC" bullshit. Yes they f***ing do. A sizeable minority, for sure.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
In all fairness i never even really knew of NSC's existence until someone mentioned it on the 606 board that i read regularly. On friends and family who support the Albion i would go for the 15-20% mark either are members or have a gander now and again.

In response to 'what is a fan' I dont think you have to be a regular viewer or paying customer. You are a fan if you follow the club, check results, read up on the clubs affairs and generally support the club

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If people actually think 20% of our fan base use northstandchat then you are seriously deluded:laugh:

It would be around 4-6% at most:cool:
You can probably work it out. If there are 8000 unique hits a day let's discount 4000 as away fans and people who've come here by accident. If the remaining 4000 is 4% of our fanbase then our fanbase is 100,000. You could well be right, we could well have 100,000 fans, personally I haven't got a clue. But we're back to the original point of what constitutes a 'fan'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here