Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Of all the excuses for their abject HUMILIATION...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The divide amongst Palace fans is quite interesting. Between them, there is clearly hatred for Brighton, Millwall and Charlton. It is all a bit mixed up, with different generations and even members of the same families hating different opposition for different reasons.
Some older Palace fans feel that the traditional rivalry with Millwall going back to the year dot was usurped by spotty youths in the 70's looking for something a bit more glamorous ( and safer! ) than Peckham, New Cross and Bermondsey. They feel the Brighton rivalry is artificial. Millwall and Charlton are closer and are proper London rivals. Some Palace fans are still so resentful of the ground sharing years with Charlton that their hatred for them is overpowering.
Brighton is over 40 miles away and there is even another league club between the two. This must be unique in rivalries. Ipswich and Norwich are 40 ish miles apart but there is no-one in between. So, now the situation gets even more complicated with Crawley. For years, they have been in a benign state of neutrality, fighting for support between Brighton and London. Now they are establishing themselves as a decent league team, will they retain their neutrality?
There are neutral clubs dotted around the country. Carlisle ( for obvious reasons ! ) Bournemouth ( although, they hate Soton...who don't take a blind bit of notice and turn their eyes 18 miles east ) Colchester ( Ipswich are too busy with the Suffolk / Norfolk thing ) Yeovil, Shrewsbury, Wycombe etc
The Palace scenario reminds me of the Reading, Swindon, Oxford situation. You talk to followers of those clubs and you end up with a headache trying to work out the real rivalries. Some Swindon fans even hate Bristol City!
So in essence our rivalry with Palace is diluted. There are too many Palace fans with hatred for Millwall and Charlton. They can't make their minds up who to hate the most.
I've always felt our rivalry was on pretty flimsy ground. Brighton are a neutral club and should be comfortable with that. The fans didn't need to go looking for something that didn't exist but they did and now we are stuck with it. It doesn't seem to make sense perpetuating a rivalry, when there is even another league club inbetween.
I'm sure a lot of Palace fans want to distance themselves from Brighton but have mates who are so passionate and vitriolic about Brighton that they feel duty bound to keep the rivalry going.
On Sunday, I didn't feel any greater sense of satisfaction beating Palace than I did when we beat Southampton last season. Both results set the record straight and evened out bragging rights. We all get wrapped up in the hype of a Palace v Brighton game but eventually we all have to be true to ourselves and be honest if we don't get it.
A lot of fans can't see beyond Brighton/Palace. They were brought up with it and know no different. It adds a bit of spice. But it isn't natural and is now complicated by Crawley. After years as the only Sussex league club, we now have two. Surely now, over the coming years, this is the rivalry that is going to grow and Palace will gradually diminish. What happens if Palace move out of Selhurst and end up even closer to Millwall and Charlton?
We don't have the split that Palace have. As far as our fans are concerned it is only Palace at the moment. It is the splits within Palace that will eventually lead to the dilution and dissipation of the Brighton rivalry, particularly if we go longer periods not playing each other.
Big rivalries with Hereford and Telford.

:)

As for the rest, every individual can feel what they like. The palacce rivalry is real enough to me though, and by the look of things the vast majority of Brighton fans.

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
If they beat Brighton and lost a game to Millwall or Charlton, it would be 'oh we're not worried about them, our real rivalry is Brighton!'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There is no rest in your search for comedy is there Easy? Page 23!! Dear god man, did you trawl through 22 pages of their mawkish dribblings to find that little gem?

Well there's certainly some rich pickings over there at the moment chap, although I didn't indulge in the entire thread, sadly I don't have the time. I was just joyously dipping in and out of their misery at random intervals, and was lucky enough to clap eyes on that post. I thought at first he must be spoofing. But no, he actually defends his position even in the face of some of the more sensible posts saying the conditions had nothing to do with it.

I honestly didn't realise that Palace's promotion push is largely reliant on having a dry run-in. That never occurred to me. Forget checking the team sheet before the game - it would appear Palace fans are anxiously watching the weather forcast and looking up to the skies, in case some of that dreaded drizzle is on the way again to disrupt their "fast passing game" and hand the opposition 3 points on a plate. Who'd have thunk it huh ? And I've not even got on to poor old Wurzels coat.

Maybe their new stadium should have a roof.

The divide amongst Palace fans is quite interesting. Between them, there is clearly hatred for Brighton, Millwall and Charlton. It is all a bit mixed up, with different generations and even members of the same families hating different opposition for different reasons.
Some older Palace fans feel that the traditional rivalry with Millwall going back to the year dot was usurped by spotty youths in the 70's looking for something a bit more glamorous ( and safer! ) than Peckham, New Cross and Bermondsey. They feel the Brighton rivalry is artificial. Millwall and Charlton are closer and are proper London rivals. Some Palace fans are still so resentful of the ground sharing years with Charlton that their hatred for them is overpowering.
Brighton is over 40 miles away and there is even another league club between the two. This must be unique in rivalries. Ipswich and Norwich are 40 ish miles apart but there is no-one in between. So, now the situation gets even more complicated with Crawley. For years, they have been in a benign state of neutrality, fighting for support between Brighton and London. Now they are establishing themselves as a decent league team, will they retain their neutrality?
There are neutral clubs dotted around the country. Carlisle ( for obvious reasons ! ) Bournemouth ( although, they hate Soton...who don't take a blind bit of notice and turn their eyes 18 miles east ) Colchester ( Ipswich are too busy with the Suffolk / Norfolk thing ) Yeovil, Shrewsbury, Wycombe etc
The Palace scenario reminds me of the Reading, Swindon, Oxford situation. You talk to followers of those clubs and you end up with a headache trying to work out the real rivalries. Some Swindon fans even hate Bristol City!
So in essence our rivalry with Palace is diluted. There are too many Palace fans with hatred for Millwall and Charlton. They can't make their minds up who to hate the most.
I've always felt our rivalry was on pretty flimsy ground. Brighton are a neutral club and should be comfortable with that. The fans didn't need to go looking for something that didn't exist but they did and now we are stuck with it. It doesn't seem to make sense perpetuating a rivalry, when there is even another league club inbetween.
I'm sure a lot of Palace fans want to distance themselves from Brighton but have mates who are so passionate and vitriolic about Brighton that they feel duty bound to keep the rivalry going.
On Sunday, I didn't feel any greater sense of satisfaction beating Palace than I did when we beat Southampton last season. Both results set the record straight and evened out bragging rights. We all get wrapped up in the hype of a Palace v Brighton game but eventually we all have to be true to ourselves and be honest if we don't get it.
A lot of fans can't see beyond Brighton/Palace. They were brought up with it and know no different. It adds a bit of spice. But it isn't natural and is now complicated by Crawley. After years as the only Sussex league club, we now have two. Surely now, over the coming years, this is the rivalry that is going to grow and Palace will gradually diminish. What happens if Palace move out of Selhurst and end up even closer to Millwall and Charlton?
We don't have the split that Palace have. As far as our fans are concerned it is only Palace at the moment. It is the splits within Palace that will eventually lead to the dilution and dissipation of the Brighton rivalry, particularly if we go longer periods not playing each other.

Warning - reasoned and well argued post alert. Shurely there is no place on here for this sort of thing?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He doesn't lead with the arm at all. At the last second pulls his arm back into his body. Possibly yellow but would have been an extremely harsh red card.

Loved this post, bless, he doesn't even know who's area its in;

It looked like an elbow or a wrestling style forearm smash but whatever it was it was an after the ball challenge that was a deff pen and card??

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Well there's certainly some rich pickings over there at the moment chap, although I didn't indulge in the entire thread, sadly I don't have the time. I was just joyously dipping in and out of their misery at random intervals, and was lucky enough to clap eyes on that post. I thought at first he must be spoofing. But no, he actually defends his position even in the face of some of the more sensible posts saying the conditions had nothing to do with it.

I honestly didn't realise that Palace's promotion push is largely reliant on having a dry run-in. That never occurred to me. Forget checking the team sheet before the game - it would appear Palace fans are anxiously watching the weather forcast and looking up to the skies, in case some of that dreaded drizzle is on the way again to disrupt their "fast passing game" and hand the opposition 3 points on a plate. Who'd have thunk it huh ? And I've not even got on to poor old Wurzels coat.

I thought we did them a favour letting them have the shallow end for the first half. Sod wurzels donkey jacket btw...my Beckenbauers got drenched.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Have to say I enjoyed their "wheel" routine in feont of our penalty box where they constantly rotate looking for the chance to put in a through ball. It didnt work against our well drilled defence but it IS good football and you can see why they have scored goals all season. Zahahaha and his stepovers are a joy to watch. If he ever adds a final ball he will be a good footballer but for now he looks a bit like Ashley Young who whe will replace at MU - flatters to deceive. Still in shock they gave up so easily but after this and Holloway 's comments it was obviously the rain that prevented them putting us to the sword. Looking forward to how they do on a wet and windy Blackpool beach :thumbsup:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Its simple we hate Crawley as well because its Palace's caravan park in the country.

There will be a rivalry for many a year to come so a waste of words really.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Big rivalries with Hereford and Telford.

:)

As for the rest, every individual can feel what they like. The palacce rivalry is real enough to me though, and by the look of things the vast majority of Brighton fans.

Apologies...shouldn't have included Shrewsbury. ( Even they have two rivalries! ).
I acknowledge the present situation, with the majority ' up ' for the rivalry. I still think that things could change in the future, albeit slowly.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Its simple we hate Crawley as well because its Palace's caravan park in the country.

There will be a rivalry for many a year to come so a waste of words really.

Crawley? It's LEWES for me! The place mings of Harvey's and fireworks and their firm "the scone men" are well rude.

Just because they've got a castle and some charming twitterns they think they're all that. Anne Hathaways House? I've shit it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Don't let anyone for one second fall for this bollocks and latest rationalisation of the drubbing that 'lots of us don't think Brighton are the real rivals'.

This is EXACTLY how it went. We hardly played them for 20 plus years, many of which were spent with two or even three divisions between the sides. Obviously things cooled in that period.

But with the 5-0 a few years ago, and then the 3-1 at the Amex and this season's win at Selhurst, all the Palace old guard remembered how much they hated Brighton, and all the younger lot realised how different the atmosphere was to any other game. It's just that it's much easier when you WIN. The reason they all got off on those wins so much was because there is no other game for the two clubs.

It is frankly pathetic now they've taken a real gubbing to try and pretend otherwise, and I'm sure many proper Palace fans would agree with me.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
This is the incident they are complaining about - did Leo lead with the elbow? Looks a possible combination of elbow and head. Good job he didn't get sent off! (btw, doesn't our stadium look fantastic in that vid?!)

:lolol: Think many people would love him for doing that!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It does explain our years of misery at Withdean. It was nothing to do with not having any money, it was the rain wot did it.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
We don't have the split that Palace have. As far as our fans are concerned it is only Palace at the moment. It is the splits within Palace that will eventually lead to the dilution and dissipation of the Brighton rivalry, particularly if we go longer periods not playing each others,.

The worst, long post I have ever read on here, your analysis is shot to pieces. I presume you have others around you at work & home to oversee and guide you in any decision you have to make in your day to day life?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
We generally play a fast passing game that just doesn't bode well with yesterday’s heavy conditions or lend itself to skillful wing play. It appears to me that had this been played on a bright, sunny, dry day on a pitch that was well groomed and wasn't waterlogged; the result would have been totally different.

Funny, I remember some skillful wingplay, didn't it (indirectly) lead to, ooh, THREE goals? Kaz and Buckers were lucky in getting aquaplane bounces in their favour across, what, 90 minutes of play? How fortunate can we get??

PG

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It does explain our years of misery at Withdean. It was nothing to do with not having any money, it was the rain wot did it.

3 promotions in 12 seasons there, we're bloody BRILLIANT in the pissing rain :thumbsup:

Palace never stood an earthly.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
The worst, long post I have ever read on here, your analysis is shot to pieces. I presume you have others around you at work & home to oversee and guide you in any decision you have to make in your day to day life?

Only the wardens and some burly male nurses.

Colchester try and hate Southend btw. Southend hate us (bizarrely..seaside towns...argy bargy) and couldn't give a toss about Colchester.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
3 promotions in 12 seasons there, we're bloody BRILLIANT in the pissing rain :thumbsup:

Palace never stood an earthly.

Admit it, you spent all day Saturday doing a rain dance, didn't you? Win when it's raining, we always win when it's raining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here