Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Or, and hear me out here, we bring in Edouard, play them together and they get 16-20 between them. Surely that’s an improvement, no?

It’s far more likely they’d start alternate games and/or one would start in a deeper role and therefore restrict the likelihood of them both getting enough to make much of a tangible difference. We don’t start many games with a genuine front two, indeed we sometimes start with a front zero… I suspect he’ll struggle to blow anyone away. Ultimately, for me, he’s simply not worth the fee/risk.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It is a waste of time arguing with him.The only actual name he has ever come out with is Ivan Toney who apparently we should have signed from Posh instead of chasing Toney!

It us worth noting that we could have signed Ollie Watkins a £30 m and sky-high wages.He managed 14 goals.Value-or-money? We could have signed Callum Wilson,29 years old,£20 m,no re-sale value and £130,000 a week.He managed 12 goals!! I would rather stick with Maupay and Wellbeck!!

He is back on ignore.I enjoy your posts

Agreed, we’re looking at an ocean of mediocrity awash with a flotsam of £20 million players, who are NO better than what we have.

Even if Maupay is true to historic form, he’s still looking at 10-12 goals - I just can’t see us bringing anyone in who’ll top that for less than 35 million and then it’s STILL a risk. I say stick and **** twisting on an SPL level player.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It’s far more likely they’d start alternate games and/or one would start in a deeper role and therefore restrict the likelihood of them both getting enough to make much of a tangible difference. We don’t start many games with a genuine front two, indeed we sometimes start with a front zero… I suspect he’ll struggle to blow anyone away. Ultimately, for me, he’s simply not worth the fee/risk.

I think we’ve seen enough of Maupay to know that a) we look much better with him in the team and b) he performs better with a striker partner. FWIW, I think a fit Welbeck would be just the ticket but his injuries are a concern. I don’t think Connolly or Zeqiri are ready or good enough to be regular starters and Trossard blows hot and cold. And Andone is somewhat of a lose cannon and a bit of an unknown. Maybe he’s the answer, I don’t know but I’d feel better knowing we had another decent striker ready to step in and push Maupay during Welbeck’s sustained absences :shrug:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Or, and hear me out here, we bring in Edouard, play them together and they get 16-20 between them. Surely that’s an improvement, no?
Err ... it doesn't work that way! Play Welbexk as well and we get 22-26 between them, add in Connolly, we get 27-31 between them, add in Zeqiri ..... I think I can see a problem developing here!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think we’ve seen enough of Maupay to know that a) we look much better with him in the team and b) he performs better with a striker partner. FWIW, I think a fit Welbeck would be just the ticket but his injuries are a concern. I don’t think Connolly or Zeqiri are ready or good enough to be regular starters and Trossard blows hot and cold. And Andone is somewhat of a lose cannon and a bit of an unknown. Maybe he’s the answer, I don’t know but I’d feel better knowing we had another decent striker ready to step in and push Maupay during Welbeck’s sustained absences :shrug:

It’s difficult to argue with that tbh, but when you consider the relative outlay for Andone and Welbeck vs a large wedge of the BW cash…. Put it this way: would you sanction 20 million plus on an out of form striker currently playing for a fading Celtic ? And if he was called Angus McClean for example, would our lack of sexy flair subconscious bias be castigating the club for even thinking about it…??

Think about it now.

It’s not really that exciting really is it?

I’d prefer to work with the devil I know… enter Florin.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s difficult to argue with that tbh, but when you consider the relative outlay for Andone and Welbeck vs a large wedge of the BW cash…. Put it this way: would you sanction 20 million plus on an out of form striker currently playing for a fading Celtic ? And if he was called Angus McClean for example, would our lack of sexy flair subconscious bias be castigating the club for even thinking about it…??

Think about it now.

....... and £5M for Edouard in January if he bombs? Sorted! :)

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

Think about it now.

The thing is, like most on this board, its likely that you know next to nothing! Nothing about the complexity of the transfer market, what players are worth and how to structure deals. You don't have the benefit of a scouting department, scouting network and advanced data analysis to identify transfer targets and importantly its not your money to spend is it?!

I think you are also doing Edouard a bit of a disservice, he's still young and has scored 17 goals from 14 appearances for France under 21's! Let's face it, If he played for a more sexy team than Celtic he would be out of our price range!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Err ... it doesn't work that way! Play Welbexk as well and we get 22-26 between them, add in Connolly, we get 27-31 between them, add in Zeqiri ..... I think I can see a problem developing here!

I’m using your own logic :shrug: The point is, Maupay needs a strike partner. Welbeck is perpetually injured and Connolly and Zeqiri are not experienced enough to do that job week in, week out.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Think about it now.

Have we really seen enough of Andone to be “the devil we know”? Locadia could also be deemed “a devil we know”. Moreover, £20m is a comparative drop in the ocean compared to some of the dross that has been served up in the PL over the last few seasons. Look at Wesley at Villa and Joelinton.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
IMO I think I've seen enough of Maupay. He looked mediocre pre season last year, and that summed up the season, I've only seen him play vs Luton, Nothing seemed to have changed. Lots of running around the pitch making a nuisance of himself. woop dee doo.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’m using your own logic :shrug: The point is, Maupay needs a strike partner. Welbeck is perpetually injured and Connolly and Zeqiri are not experienced enough to do that job week in, week out.

In my opinion, I think [MENTION=494]Kosh[/MENTION] has summed it up perfectly in post#1344. However we play it, adding one not-quote-good-enough striker to an existing not-quite-good-enough striker isn't going to double the benefits. A classic case of 1+1 not always equalling 2.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
In my opinion, I think [MENTION=494]Kosh[/MENTION] has summed it up perfectly in post#1344. However we play it, adding one not-quote-good-enough striker to an existing not-quite-good-enough striker isn't going to double the benefits. A classic case of 1+1 not always equalling 2.

So, who do you think we could get in where the rewards could warrant the financial risk? Or do you believe we’re fine as we are?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The thing is, like most on this board, its likely that you know next to nothing! Nothing about the complexity of the transfer market, what players are worth and how to structure deals. You don't have the benefit of a scouting department, scouting network and advanced data analysis to identify transfer targets and importantly its not your money to spend is it?!
It is rather patronising to say that most on this board know nothing. Apart from the raucous few who DEMAND that we sign a 20 goals a season striker NOW, and that we should have been doing that for the the last EIGHT transfer windows and anyone who doesn't REALISE this is an IDIOT, a lot on here know very well that recruiting players is a complex business.

What we don't know is what the recruitment team are actually doing, who they're watching, and what stage (if any) any talks or negotiations may have reached. And that's how it should be, of course. What we can do (and this is why we have websites like NSC) is speculate and discuss in an intelligent way who we would like our club to sign (or not sign). This (apart from the raucous few who DEMAND .......) is a very good and interesting thread, thank you.

I think you are also doing Edouard a bit of a disservice, he's still young and has scored 17 goals from 14 appearances for France under 21's! Let's face it, If he played for a more sexy team than Celtic he would be out of our price range!
Yes, and Maupay had an outstanding record in the Championship, which I and others rate as comparable to Edouard's record. Connolly, for all he's lost his way at the moment, had a comparably outstanding record as a young player - If he played for more sexy teams than Brighton and Ireland youth teams he would be out of our price range too! Whatever, I don't think Edouard's rubbish - I just don't think he's any better than what we've got. Which, after all, is the whole point of buying in a player for an expensive transfer fee.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So, who do you think we could get in where the rewards could warrant the financial risk? Or do you believe we’re fine as we are?

I've no idea, sorry! I don't have a paid-up professional scouting network out there. There are hundreds - maybe thousands, but maybe that's a bit oh an exaggeration - of potential PL standard strikers out there that I've never hear of, and probably never will.
I believe we're OK as we are, and will finish a bit higher up the table. We could, of course, do even better if we could find (and afford) a better striker; that, for me, should be filed under 'highly desirable' rather than 'essential' (and not DOOMED if we don't sign one NOW and why can't you IDIOTS see it!)

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Lol - so you're saying that almost all of us are completely wrong when we suggest that the SPL is not a very good barometer of quality? And as for scoring at under 21 level - well it's probably akin to our current under 23 level. I agree, of course, I no nothing of the complexities of our scouting department and/or our work when analysing the quality or otherwise of a prospective signing... However, if he's truly worth 20-30 million he'd have gone elsewhere already.

What I am saying is that he'd be a pointless signing as he's clearly not at a level above our current prolific strike force and paying north of 20 million for 'potential' is frankly laughable for a club with our transfer budget.

If we sign him, for a ridiculous fee, and he's scored 2 in 10 I'm willing to bet they'll be an awful lot of people who were clamouring after his signature queuing up to buy pitchforks from the club shop.

He's not worth the supposed fee, and anyone claiming he is, is frankly deluded. Hopefully the club are focussing on value versus potential or value versus proven quality (older player) - either way I'm fine with that. For me at 20 million he provides nothing but an inflated fee, coupled with a terrible recent scoring record, and this in an abysmal league playing for the second best team therein... Tearing it up against the likes of Dundee hmmmmmmmmm come on! I don't need to be a scout to suggest that, nor a sports analyst or indeed scientist.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I've no idea, sorry! I don't have a paid-up professional scouting network out there. There are hundreds - maybe thousands, but maybe that's a bit oh an exaggeration - of potential PL standard strikers out there that I've never hear of, and probably never will.
I believe we're OK as we are, and will finish a bit higher up the table. We could, of course, do even better if we could find (and afford) a better striker; that, for me, should be filed under 'highly desirable' rather than 'essential' (and not DOOMED if we don't sign one NOW and why can't you IDIOTS see it!)

I certainly don’t think we’ll be “doomed” if we don’t sign a new striker. I am however reminded about the quote re insanity and doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. For me, it’s a lot to ask of Maupay and I can see us struggling again if we don’t recruit a forward. Out of interest, would you consider Nunez (circa €35m) or Abraham (£40M) worth the financial risk with their higher price tag?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Lol - so you're saying that almost all of us are completely wrong when we suggest that the SPL is not a very good barometer of quality? And as for scoring at under 21 level - well it's probably akin to our current under 23 level. I agree, of course, I no nothing of the complexities of our scouting department and/or our work when analysing the quality or otherwise of a prospective signing... However, if he's truly worth 20-30 million he'd have gone elsewhere already.

What I am saying is that he'd be a pointless signing as he's clearly not at a level above our current prolific strike force and paying north of 20 million for 'potential' is frankly laughable for a club with our transfer budget.

If we sign him, for a ridiculous fee, and he's scored 2 in 10 I'm willing to bet they'll be an awful lot of people who were clamouring after his signature queuing up to buy pitchforks from the club shop.

He's not worth the supposed fee, and anyone claiming he is, is frankly deluded. Hopefully the club are focussing on value versus potential or value versus proven quality (older player) - either way I'm fine with that. For me at 20 million he provides nothing but an inflated fee, coupled with a terrible recent scoring record, and this in an abysmal league playing for the second best team therein... Tearing it up against the likes of Dundee hmmmmmmmmm come on! I don't need to be a scout to suggest that, nor a sports analyst or indeed scientist.
Would that be a no then?..........or a maybe?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It is rather patronising to say that most on this board know nothing. Apart from the raucous few who DEMAND that we sign a 20 goals a season striker NOW, and that we should have been doing that for the the last EIGHT transfer windows and anyone who doesn't REALISE this is an IDIOT, a lot on here know very well that recruiting players is a complex business.

What we don't know is what the recruitment team are actually doing, who they're watching, and what stage (if any) any talks or negotiations may have reached. And that's how it should be, of course. What we can do (and this is why we have websites like NSC) is speculate and discuss in an intelligent way who we would like our club to sign (or not sign). This (apart from the raucous few who DEMAND .......) is a very good and interesting thread, thank you.

Yes, and Maupay had an outstanding record in the Championship, which I and others rate as comparable to Edouard's record. Connolly, for all he's lost his way at the moment, had a comparably outstanding record as a young player - If he played for more sexy teams than Brighton and Ireland youth teams he would be out of our price range too! Whatever, I don't think Edouard's rubbish - I just don't think he's any better than what we've got. Which, after all, is the whole point of buying in a player for an expensive transfer fee.
Fully agree with both points. [emoji106]

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
FWIW I have seen quite a few games that Edouard has played for Celtic, and when motivated think he could do a better job than Maupay, better finisher, pace, in the air and physical presence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here